What mobile phone do you have?

StateOfPlay

Reaction score
It is upgrade time for me. I currently have iphone 4s, but I am not sure if I want iphone 5s or Samsung s4/note.

What phone do you use, and do you recommend it?

i have an i phone 5. We have always had i phones. If it has an apple logo on it we probably have at least one at home! we made the mistake of buying a samsung tab 2 for our 3 year olds birthday and soon began to regret it as we soon realised why everything we have is apple! it all syncs together nicely and works as it should without being complicated ! its a great brand, why change ?

Reactions: Pieterw, StateOfPlay and DAYTONA 500
A HTC One but I'm starting to regret it. I really wish I'd have stuck with iPhone! I had a 4S previously. If I'm honest, I'll probably sell the HTC One and my old 4S and put it towards the iPhone 6 when it comes out (if it looks good that is).

As much as I like the HTC, it just not as refined as the iPhone. There's just little quirks that I miss which I didn't think I would! That'll teach me to jump into a 2 year contract with a phone I'd never even looked at, never mind used before.

Oh, and I REALLY miss the Audi cradle in my arm rest for the iPhone.

Reactions: StateOfPlay
Samsung 4 s mini. Use to love my iPhone but prefer my Samsung now. More practice for what I want it for. Still love my apple products though

Moved on from an iPhone 4 to a Sony Xperia Z1. The phone is absolutely brilliant! 20.7MP camera, waterproof, large clear HD display and plenty other stuff too. I must admit if you don't like big phones then avoid it as it is fairly large and quite difficult to get used to if you're coming from Apple to Android. I hear they have a smaller version coming out soon?

Im in the same situation with my free upgrade coming up. I have at the mo the HTC Incredible S. Not a bad phone but now lagging and needs replaced. I was thinking of going for the HTC One Mini.......its been getting good reviews. Mrs.B. has the S4 Mini and she loves it so I dunno what to do really. Any one got the HTC One Mini?

HTC One here. Had a Samsung Galaxy S3 a few months ago too. Before that I had iPhones.

First comparison..... Android is much "better" than IOS.
Second comparison..... The S3 is better feauture-wise than the iPhone (even though it is a big buggy etc).
Third comparison..... The HTC out does the Samsung as a package.... usability, stability, build, reliability.

I like the HTC One because it seems to have the best of all worlds........ i.e the quality build of an iPhone (arguably even better as it has a one piece metal body), and its Sense UI is a lot more stable and bug free than Samsung's Touchwiz.

Until Apple makes IOS a lot less restrictive and includes features that Android has I won't be going back to an iPhone. The gap between the two mobile OSs is widening by the update.

Reactions: voorhees, quattrojames, StateOfPlay and 1 other person
iphone 5, just like JoJo said.. does everything I need it to…. and more

The only thing I cannot do / get on my iphone is 4G, because im with O2

Reactions: Pieterw and StateOfPlay
Two-year-old iPhone 4 with 16gb on the 3 network. I'm in upgrade territory now, but am not in a rush to commit myself to a £40-odd a month contract for another two years to get an iPhone 5, especially as it would mean shelling out for a new Brodit cradle and Lightning adapter for the car.

I could probably get a 4S for around £30 something a month, but the only ones being supplied now are 8gb.

Happy to hang on to the 4 and pay £18 a month on a one-month rolling basis. Then when I see a deal that suits me, I can take it.

Last edited:
I'm still on my HTC Desire HD at the moment as I've found nothing to replace it with that I really want. Saying that I am very tempted by the Sony Xperia Z1 if I can get a reasonable deal.

Had a Samsung Galaxy S II until recently when I upgraded to the Sony Xperia Z1. Didn't think much of the S II but I am quite happy with the Z1. Camera is junk but the handset in general is quite nice, if a bit big.

The size does put me off a bit.

It's not for everyone. I didn't want to go for a Note due to size.

On another note, would I be right in thinking you're the same dude who had an Fiesta RS Turbo with a real flutter? Watched some vids when I was a member on Cruise-Herts I think.

Two-year-old iPhone 4 with 16gb on the 3 network. I'm in upgrade territory now, but am not in a rush to commit myself to a £40-odd a month contract for another two years to get an iPhone 5, especially as it would mean shelling out for a new Brodit cradle and Lightning adapter for the car.

I could probably get a 4S for around £30 something a month, but the only ones being supplied now are 8gb.

Happy to hang on to the 4 and pay £18 a month on a one-month rolling basis. Then when I see a deal that suits me, I can take it.

I've been on upgrade territory since May, I dropped my tariff down to the minimum once the contract is up, only pay £7 a month on my plan, I never use all my minutes or data, until my iPhone5 starts to slow down like my 4 did, I doubt I'll be in a hurry to upgrade unless it breaks to be honest.

Reactions: jdp1962 and StateOfPlay
Iphone S5 all the way

samsung S4... i love to carry an Imax cinema screen around in my pocket.....

It's not for everyone. I didn't want to go for a Note due to size.

On another note, would I be right in thinking you're the same dude who had an Fiesta RS Turbo with a real flutter? Watched some vids when I was a member on Cruise-Herts I think.

Yes that would indeed be me :) .

Last edited:
iphone5. Fantastic phone. :) x

iPhone 5s here however the fingerprint scanner doesn't always work as it should.

Iphone 5 for me, third iphone, tried moving to Android but the software is nowhere near the same quality

iPhone 5s. I bought it for the speed bump, but the fingerprint scanner makes access sooooo easy.
iPhone 5s here however the fingerprint scanner doesn't always work as it should.
If you're having problems try using the same finger for two or more profiles to make it more accurate.

Samsung Galaxy s3, I love it had the s1 before.
Never had an Iphone so can't compare, but the s3 does everything I need and can plug into pretty much anything because it uses a micro usb plug.

Galaxy Note 2. Epic phone, can pretty much do anything. If like me you use your phone a lot for browsing and texting, the screen size is perfect. Couldn't use an iPhone now far too small. Note 2 also has a stylus which can be handy for some.

Reactions: Lavis89
Im using an iphone 4s at the minute.

I always told myself I wouldn't get an Iphone due to the fact I hated the whole fanboy trend thing, cost and the fact they were fairly restricted.

The past phones I had before the Iphone 4s were; HTC One X, Sony Xperia, Nokia N8.
All of the above I had issues with, the Sony Xperia would pretty much grind to a halt and need a reboot every few days, the same with the others. I put it down to buggy carrier firmware.

This iphone 4s came up cheap from a family relative so I thought I would give it a go.
So far I have had no issues - its taken a little getting used to, but the build quality is great and the phone is responsive, dont have issues with battery life either.

I did try out the new Samsung Galaxy range as my contract was due for renewal a few months back - I found the S3/4 too big (I like to be able to hit all areas of the screen with one hand (if that makes sense) the Mini versions felt a little plastic'y.

At the moment iv moved onto O2 simplicity as this phone fits the bill fine.

HTC One and Sony Xperia Z
Had enough of iPhones and am glad to have changed.

Nice to hear people are ditching apple crap ;)

Had 4 iPhone's in a row and got bored. Got a HTC one X, which I liked but it only lasted a year as I get bored. Got a galaxy s4 now and still love it. Although I'll be bored soon enough no doubt. I was very tempted by the HTC One, as the camera appealed, but fancied a change. And I hate sense, it's awful.

Love the s4 for the battery life and card slot. I bought a 64gb card and I have all the space I need.

I currently have an iPhone 5 and when my next upgrade is due il no doubt be getting the latest iPhone at the time! They are in a league of their own!

Reactions: sammi
I currently have an iPhone 5 and when my next upgrade is due il no doubt be getting the latest iPhone at the time! They are in a league of their own!

Yep, and it's called League Two.

Reactions: Mr-C, voorhees and A4_MaJiK
HTC One here brilliant phone that does everything I want very well withoit to many features that I would never use which is why I never went for an S4. For me iphones have never been a contender.

Dont get to drawn in to the mega geeky anal comparisons, you'll do your own head in lol

iPhone 4S. Not upgraded as bought it outright when it first came out. Maybe next year. Love it as syncs with iPad and Mac and can use it wih Apple TV. Also use it as my sat nav and cycle computer. Epic device.

I have a note 3, i use it alot for browsing and netflix if im travelling, battery life is pretty good (and can swap batteries) expandable memory, lots of nice little features with the stylus. I had a iphone 4 before but got pretty annoyed with it not being very compatible with anything that isn't apple so ended up getting rid, got a Galaxy S2 on the cheap which was ideal apart from poor battery life. The note ended up being a lot cheaper as well, i pay £34 a month with unlimited internet and tethering

IMO all of the smart phones have the same level of features model for model I have used iPhones, samsungs, BB etc but it's really down to how you are going to use it ... If you are an Apple user ie Mac, TV etc then you would be crazy not to buy an iPhone but if you are just looking for a phone with web and maybe satnav the look at any of the newish smart phones will serve you well.

Reactions: Wicked666
IMO all of the smart phones have the same level of features model for model I have used iPhones, samsungs, BB etc but it's really down to how you are going to use it ... If you are an Apple user ie Mac, TV etc then you would be crazy not to buy an iPhone but if you are just looking for a phone with web and maybe satnav the look at any of the newish smart phones will serve you well.

Precisely!

I don't really care the samsung is a superior phone, I doubt I'd use more than 50% of it's amazing functions! My iPhone5 is mainly used for whatsapp, Facebook, sports updates/results and probably as an actual phone around 10-15% of the time!

Reactions: Artimus
Saying all smart phones have the same amount of 'must have' features is like saying that all cars are the same as they all get you from A to B. Travelling to your destination in style is also very important.

I will agree that the differences between the many Android phones isn't that wide, but between IOS and Android there is a gulf feature-wise.

The main (and for me, important) differences between IOS and Android... (read: Android has them and IOS doesn't):

• Widgets.
  • Mass storage functionality... i.e. syncing/adding content, media, etc to phone without the need for itunes.
  • Being able to plug your phone into ANY pc to copy files without the need for itunes. And even if that PC does have itunes, without it trying to delete your entire library because your phone has been sync'd with another PC!
  • Being able to download ANYTHING from the internet using the phone's browser, not just what Apple sees fit.
  • Ability to replace any stock app (email/sms/phone dialer/etc) with 3rd party apps with more functionality.
  • Downloading stuff via torrents :undwech:

And the list goes on, but for me the above are must have features.

And as for Apple hardware... being limited to a choice between the small screen of an iPhone or the huge screen of an iPad/iPad mini is not good for me. I need something in between.

ALSO... Apple's insistence on non expandable storage (lack of memory card slot) is ridiculous. Ok, it suits them because people are forced to spend big to buy the largest capacity iphone if they don't want to risk getting caught short.

Again, I could go on but I won't, as I'm boring myself now.

The next time you're on a bus/train/coach/etc have a look around at what people are fiddling with, and you should notice that gone are the days of iPhones in every hand. They are a Tethnic minority now.

Reactions: 16Klappe
Just got myself the Sony Xperia Z1. On the whole very impressed, feels beautifully made and is quick and smooth in operation. Downside is the onboard speaker is poor and I can't assign different tones to e-mail and text alerts unless I can find a way round that. I still think I prefer my 3 year old HTC Desire HD, if it didn't have a battery that needed charging 3 times a day and couldn't open a lot of video links I'm sent I wouldn't be changing. Found out last night how to assign an e-mail alert tone so all is good on that front

Last edited:
Had an xperia s last year, terrible phone, started off good after a few months the battery got poor and it started rebooting after a while.

HTC One here. Had a Samsung Galaxy S3 a few months ago too. Before that I had iPhones.

First comparison..... Android is much "better" than IOS.
Second comparison..... The S3 is better feauture-wise than the iPhone (even though it is a big buggy etc).
Third comparison..... The HTC out does the Samsung as a package.... usability, stability, build, reliability.

I like the HTC One because it seems to have the best of all worlds........ i.e the quality build of an iPhone (arguably even better as it has a one piece metal body), and its Sense UI is a lot more stable and bug free than Samsung's Touchwiz.

Until Apple makes IOS a lot less restrictive and includes features that Android has I won't be going back to an iPhone. The gap between the two mobile OSs is widening by the update.

This.

I hate iPhones, they are like a "my first smart phone" with pretty pictures and basic features.

Althought I can't argue that the iPad is the best tablet on the market.