How's the weather with you?

noodle

Reaction score
We've had about 4 inches of snow over the past few days and it's given me a chance to have a bit of fun with the S3's quattro system /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Once question though. What happens to the 4wd when the handbrake is engaged? I ask because today I was coming home (very slowley) and slid the car sideways into the driveway by using the handbrake. I thought it was excellent fun but the GF had other ideas!

It's forecast for more snow tonight, so I might go to try and find a bit open space to have a slide around!

All the best
N
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you engage the handbrake, it puts the car into 2wd (FWD) mode.

Be carefull.... But have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

To answer your question........ erm, I'm not sure what happens when you engage the handbrake, but I would imagine it would still try to 'drive' the wheels if you are in gear applying the throttle????

Good luck mate, sounds like fun - no snow here yet in Glasgow but *VERY* cold!!

Just remember that the quattro system will not help you to slow down in the snow - Just worth remembering cos it is very easy to forget while having some quality drifting action!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, I knew someone with the 'knowledge' would come along and answer this correctly!!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, even with the handbrake clicked onto the first notch, it switches the Haldex coupling off, so technically 2WD, but there's a chance of damaging the Haldex clutch if the car is driven in this mode for long periods... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that. So I guess it's okay then, once in a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I love the snow, so long as it's safe and your not putting you, the car or others at risk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have safe time if you have to travel in this weather.

N

[ QUOTE ]

Good luck mate, sounds like fun - no snow here yet in Glasgow but *VERY* cold!!

[/ QUOTE ]

C_Audiboy,
A friend has been in Glasgow over Xmas with his parents and he's said exactly the same.

I think you are going to get the snow on Friday, so get ready /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, even with the handbrake clicked onto the first notch, it switches the Haldex coupling off, so technically 2WD, but there's a chance of damaging the Haldex clutch if the car is driven in this mode for long periods... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not on my s3 it doesn't! mine is still trying to drive the rear wheels, that said I don't have traction control and I think it might have been added with that, as I can also accelerate and brake at the same time which I've been told others can't.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not on my s3 it doesn't! mine is still trying to drive the rear wheels, that said I don't have traction control and I think it might have been added with that, as I can also accelerate and brake at the same time which I've been told others can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I've never tested it myself, just read about it in the past! I can also accellerate whilst braking, plus no ESP, so a proper drivers car with true heel toeing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I've never tested it myself, just read about it in the past! I can also accellerate whilst braking, plus no ESP, so a proper drivers car with true heel toeing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep it'd be great if they could just sort the pedals out so you can do it without being mega double, triple jointed with super bendy feet - or maybe that's just me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

Snow here. Was out trying to play like last year but i think my tyres are too low in tread to do any good stuff.

The car was just sliding around far to much to do decent drifts and donuts.

Am gutted like as i have been lookin forward to the snow for ages.

Snow!! Whats that?? lol,we have the freezing weather,but thats it.

Ahh well,means i havnt gotta worry about spinning the car this year,lol

Snow? Snow?? Down to -7.5C last night but not a sign of a single snow flake.

We had a picnic on the cliff at Burton Bradstock (Dorset) on Christmas Day and I got sunburnt.

I could always send you lot a pic of the hot African sun if you like... :)

Viewing some pics of the snow on the BBC site, looks really magical especially when it is so rare here in Johannesburg (though I suppose when you have to live with it, you tend to generate other idea's...)

In fact here's a pic of the sunset the other day:

SunsetMidrand1.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Snow? Snow?? Down to -7.5C last night but not a sign of a single snow flake.

We had a picnic on the cliff at Burton Bradstock (Dorset) on Christmas Day and I got sunburnt.

[/ QUOTE ]

or wind burnt? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Probably a bit of both; we walked into the wind for half an hour but I sat with my back to it for quite a while longer whilst scoffing the Christmas picnic. I was the only one to get burnt though - must have delicate skin.....

Was out and about a few days ago and caught this sunset...

P1010095.JPG

(hope its not too large and dial-up unfriendly)

[ QUOTE ]
Where was that taken? nice colours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shaibah Logistics Base, Basra in southern Iraq, started working out here 5 weeks ago, guess its one way of avoiding the german winter....

(no German beer though!)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where was that taken? nice colours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shaibah Logistics Base, Basra in southern Iraq, started working out here 5 weeks ago, guess its one way of avoiding the german winter....

(no German beer though!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Just keep your head down mate ! nice pictures but not so friendly natives have a good time and get home safley

haha - snow, havnt seen any of that stuff for ages.

IT WAS 41oC HERE IN BONDI BEACH ON NEW YEARS DAY!!!!

tell me how to add a pic to this..