Road Angel/GPS theft - the new easy car crime

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
Had my RA2 stolen from my A4 at 5.15 in the afternoon last week whilst on my driveway! Worst thing was I was in my workshop at the time about 10 feet away
Brick through the drivers window. I heard a loud thump then the alarm go off (a proper one not the garbage Audi fit), dashed out but had to negotiate locked gates, so 10 seconds later the low life scum had legged it, probably had a car round the corner.
What was wierd was that earlier the same afternoon an old Mk3 Golf had reversed partially into our drive and was just sitting there. Eventually moved off when I came to investigate, so don't know if it was related, but if he was just doing a U turn then there's a far better place to do it not 30 feet the other side of our house, where you can sweep round in one manoevour.
The guy from Autoglass said this type of theft has now taken over from car stereos as satnav/GPS detectors are far easier to steal and sell on, so you have been warned.
It's just such a pain in the **** to have to remove & refit everytime you leave the vehicle.
But now we'll have to do this we don't really need 2 of them, so I doubt I'll replace it. Both cars are rarely used at the same time on unfamiliar journeys and they both have laser jammers which are realistically far more useful.
With the clamp down on fixed cameras from Darling & Ladyman, mobile traps are gonna be a far bigger threat to bring in the much needed revenue.
They don't make money out of them my ****!

I always take mine off the cradle but leave the wire and the cradle fixed.

This is probably a big clue that i have one and maybe would make someone break in.

That's a ****** Andy, hope the gits get what they deserve later in life! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif Right outside your house ***, the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif cheek...
As with all portable satnavs and radar detectors etc... bet to remove everything out of view, incuding cradles. I know someone who left the cradle in the car, but removed the Tomtom and took it into his house, car was broken into overnight, was a pointless effort, they took nothing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif sorry to hear that Andy - thieving scum. They don't give a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif where they do this stuff these days, and who's is around when they do so. Flamin cheek.

Rob

Andy - sorry to hear what has happened. I have to admit I leave my RA2 on the cradle outside my house but I always remove it when I park elsewhere.

IIRC you can contact Road Angel and they will disable the unit as they will know your serial number. That should mean it won't work if the gits try to update it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif! This type of crime is on the up! I hope the scum get caught!

Thanks everyone, I've already spoken to Blackspot, luckily it was the newer of the 2 units so was only on a 6 month subscription. I doubt the idiots will try & update it but I guess you never know.
What happened to old style criminals who at least had the decency to wait until 3am to do their stuff? These guys just don't care

It's frightening that these people have the balls to do it in broad daylight - god knows what they're capable of if you get in their way. Sorry to hear this.

Sorry to hear this mate.......... I have a Tom Tom and like soupie, I have leave the cradle and wire fixed but never leave the TT in the car........

Hope the theiving scum get everything they deserve......

Bad news mate unfortunatley this is the in thing for thieving scumbags to nick as they can sell them on very easily! nothing is safe in your car anymore my advise is if you have a cradle then remove that out of sight too when not using the car it wont take long to put it back and will save you a couple of £££ on buying a new one and also replacing the broken window and whatever other damage there is as a result of these dispicable acts!

also if you drive alot and frequent alot of service stations maybe stopping in for a short break these places are now prime targets for this sort of crime....be vigilant be warned!

Remove the unit, the cradle and also wipe the stain from the wind screen the cradle has left behind from the sucker

Yes twice in the last 4 months, and then I did the petrol/diesel thing this week, so hopefully thats all three completed for a while.

Bloomin heck mate, thats rough, Its one of the reasons i have started using satnav and POI on my mobile. As i am used to using the HF kit, i am used to removing it.

Unlucky, i too hope thats your 3

Sometimes fate just likes fcuking with you. Bring it on I say!
These days, in this country, crime is just something you have to accept will happen to you at some point, you just hope it'll be purely property and nothing more serious. I can't think of anyone I know who hasn't had something nicked or vandalised, usually car related.
The RA theft could have happened anywhere as I never used to remove it, so just lucky it didn't happen at a service station on the M6 as that would've been one cold drive home.
I actually used to tell people if you leave anything visible in the car you might as well leave it on the pavement and save the £50 to Autoglass, so I guess it serves me right!
It was more the shock of it happening on the driveway in the afternoon while I was there. Even if I'd been sensible enough to remove it every night I wouldn't have removed it everytime I got out of the car, so I guess it's a useful wake up call.

i work in a signal box ( railway ) and i could have about 4 or 5 speed detectors every day if i wanted, all on display in there craddles ( there portable so remove them, they fit in coat pockets )

With my impeccable timimg, I have just swapped my satnav's readily-removable windscreen sucker mount for a Brodit dash-mount, with the charger cable screwed in at the mount end, and hard-wired at the other.

Sigh..........

jd you could still remove the actual unit though? like i said i am amazed at the amount of these devices screaming " LOOK IM HERE, PLEASE NICK ME" ive got one myself ( wouldnt have helped the other day as vascar used to catch me) but i always remove it, you wouldnt stick a £50 note on your windscreen and expect it to still be there when you returned, so cant see how people expect these units not to go a miss if there £300 in shops thief will sell £50 £100 possibly upwards in pub

Yes, but on a private drive in the afternoon? Just shows you these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif don't even care if they get seen. If they can flee the scene there's no chance of getting caught.

[ QUOTE ]
jd you could still remove the actual unit though? like i said i am amazed at the amount of these devices screaming " LOOK IM HERE, PLEASE NICK ME" ive got one myself ( wouldnt have helped the other day as vascar used to catch me) but i always remove it, you wouldnt stick a £50 note on your windscreen and expect it to still be there when you returned, so cant see how people expect these units not to go a miss if there £300 in shops thief will sell £50 £100 possibly upwards in pub

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey don't get me wrong, I never leave the unit in place. But it's like people are saying, any chav scum is going to see the mount & think the satnav's in the glove compartment.