Top Gear

Webber is a top top bloke, got a LOT of time for him. Fairly obvious he's not happy with the way the sports going at the moment.

As far as top gear goes........... probably one of the best series they've ever done. BUT - still woefully short. 6 episodes constitute a 'series' these days?!

Reactions: Ghost and First Ever Audi
yeh it was over before it started...........
great series!

I always watch TG but missed a couple this series and strangely didn't seem bothered as the first couple weren't that interesting.

However, yesterday's was brilliant and I also have time for Webber so was good to see him on there and beat Vettel's time!

i think it was a great finale however yes it was short then ending was brilliant and sort off "in your face' to other nations and the media portraying Britain as a country with no Manufacturing or R&D which was a sodding lie.. British engineering was always the best along with german...

It was brilliant loved it,bus bit was a pee take though

I thought last night was the best of this series, last 15mins was awesome!

Yes Webber a top guy, and good to see him beat Seb’s time.

Anyone know what roads in Scotland they were filming on?

Looked to me like it was shot up around Glenshee / Braemar. Might be wrong though!

Reactions: Ghost
Yeah I think it was the braemar/ glenshee road as when he put his shopping in the jag I'm sure it was Pitlochry

They must quite like it up there as i'm sure its the same place they had the Ferarri earlier in the series too.

Cant say I blame them - lovely part of the country. I'm up there a lot in the winter snowboarding :)

And the best bit of all............... however beautiful it looks on TV, there are even better roads up here from both a scenery and a driving point of view. I love Scotland :)

Although i love Topgear, i think sometimes they go off the topic of being about cars sometimes.

Some episodes are just about funny things like the Hovervan etc.. and not about new cars. I think things like that shoud be saved for special episodes or DVDs. I mean, i find them funny, but sometimes i just want to see some reviews of cars!

I might be being a bit of a kill-joy but thats what i think :noway:

Although i love Topgear, i think sometimes they go off the topic of being about cars sometimes.

Some episodes are just about funny things like the Hovervan etc.. and not about new cars. I think things like that shoud be saved for special episodes or DVDs. I mean, i find them funny, but sometimes i just want to see some reviews of cars!

Totally with you on this.....

That was how it was 'back in the day' when Top gear was considered to be a fully fledged motoring program for petrol heads....rather than an entertainment show where facts are very hard to come by and anyone in the household can watch the program whether they are a petrol head or not.

Like you, I do love Top Gear in it's current format- but unfortunately what you and I want will not happen again. There are even times I am hoping James May gets a chance to explain things fully instead of having to dumb everything down to suit the wider audience and JC shutting him up.

I mean just have a look how much JC made last year through Top Gear -

Top Gear: Jeremy Clarkson netted more than £14m from show last year | Media | The Guardian

I'm sure the same sort of profits/wages cannot be said many series ago when the program was not that popular and Dave was just a blokes name and not a TV channel! lol

That said- this series does have to be up there with the best series in my eyes....and was a great way to end this one.

Reactions: BigWillyStyle

Would agree with this completely - BUT - its current format is what gets the viewers i'm afraid. Its more of an entertainment show than a motoring magazine, and as a result of that you get all sorts of folk watching it who otherwise wouldnt.

For my 'proper' car show fix, I much prefer Fifth Gear, I think they've got the balance spot on.

yeh fifth gear is more car reviewing program, good to watch also!

Evo or Drive get my vote for serious car reviews on YouTube tbh....

Chris Harris really does test a car out....even if he is a bit of an Audi basher :wacko:

DRIVE - YouTube

Chris Harris likes and praises his current B8 S4 Avant, and generally speaks well of Audis when posting on Pistonheads.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the RS cars I've seen him bash quiet regularly.

The RS3 particularly springs to mind - but this is going back to well over a year now, so I suppose his opinions could have changed since owning one

Reactions: y2blade
I tend to see the motoring press and TV this way:

Top Gear - pure entertainment show that happens to feature cars. If the car v other transport were really races how does that Rangey camera car keep up lol. I still think its great though and I love Richard Porters funny lines as delivered mainly by Clarkson. Ridiculously over the top patriotic ending to the series - but that's what we expect.

evo - as Voorhees said this is the serious car review magazine. I'd buy a car based just on their reviews. I've been on trackdays with them and they are a talented bunch behind the wheel. I've subscribed since issue 1 and look forward to the mag every month. The evo view is balanced and fair, they rarely bash just to get a reaction. Slightly Porsche biased maybe.

Chris Harris, Drive - more entertaining, for the sideways set. His videos are superb, I only wish mine were that good (and I had the resources!) a lot of what he says is for reaction - remember he's banned by Ferrari for some comments he made (think it was re press car ecu's and tyres being slightly enhanced...). Yes he hates the RS3 and has bashed the RS4 too but he likes the S4 and R8 and admits Audis are great ways to cover, especially wet, roads quickly. I think he's playing to the BMW and TVR set over on PH with a lot of his comments. but remember he has upset them too - his comments about the MX5 caused a storm. What I like most about him is he's like a kid in a sweet shop with the cars, he conveys that enthusiasm well - and so he should having what must be one of the most fun jobs in the world! More modern version of Clarkson in essence.

The rest:

Auto express make some good videos too - Heroes Humbled were interesting, A45 AMG v CLS63 was a good drag race.

Car magazine - evo wannabe, sometimes has a good different feature or 2.

Top Gear magazine - I will read that if I'm bored, good when they hand cars over to the Stig - who interestingly doesn't rate the 135i on track and was 4s a lap faster at Anglesey International in the A45 AMG which is a very different outcome to Harris!

I think this is the best choice and quality of motoring journalism we've ever had, something for everyone and long may they all continue.

Reactions: kwistof and y2blade