kwik fit they had it coming

Kwik Fit are truly shocking, just the online tyre prices alone should be enough of a warning.

ATS are no better, our child minder had a puncture last week on her Ford Focus and ended up there in a bit of a panic they convinced her that all 4 tyres needed changing on a car that has done only 9000 miles from new!!! I'm sure they see a woman walk in and £££ signs start rolling across their eyes.

Kwik Fit are truly shocking, just the online tyre prices alone should be enough of a warning.

ATS are no better, our child minder had a puncture last week on her Ford Focus and ended up there in a bit of a panic they convinced her that all 4 tyres needed changing on a car that has done only 9000 miles from new!!! I'm sure they see a woman walk in and £££ signs start rolling across their eyes.[/QUOTE

They are sharks. They try to sell useless tyre accident damage and tracking alignment of something like £30 a tyre. The bigger the company, the more crooked they are.

So by that MPG research Audi deserve a gold star because they claim 31mpg combined for the RS3 and I've managed a real world 27mpg across almost 14,000 miles including some track time - which I'm guessing now - isn't part of the EU test.

As for the 14 million Kwik Fit customers I'm assuming that's sequential because each person only uses them once before they learn.

I had then jack my car up on the seal and crumple it when it went in for tyres. Found it 3 months later. They never said a word at the garage. Luckily I complained to head office and there paying for the repairs

Last edited:

ATS are no better, our child minder had a puncture last week on her Ford Focus and ended up there in a bit of a panic they convinced her that all 4 tyres needed changing on a car that has done only 9000 miles from new!!! I'm sure they see a woman walk in and £££ signs start rolling across their eyes.

My wife went in to ATS years ago with her E30 318i convertible about a week after I had put a new cylinder head gasket on it.
I told her to ask them to fit a down pipe fitting kit and sealing ring as it had a wee blow from there ( I was working flat out and the car was due an MOT )
they told her the complete exhaust was rotten and needed replaced and the down pipe had never been split from the manifold in years that if they touched it it would fall to peaces!! she called me and told me I told her just to get the car out and I would just pay the MOT boy to do it..

they refused to let the car off the ramp and tried to tell her it was a danger and unfit for the road so she called me again..

I left my work and went over to the garage and when I walked in I asked what the problem was. they hit me with the same story that the exhaust was rotten and if they touched it it would fall to peaces so I asked them to show me..

they told me they weren't allowed to due to insurance reasons!! so my response was so have I just to take you're word for it that my car needs £500 spent on it? they responded yes we aren't allowed to show you and we wouldn't rip you off!!!

so at that I asked if they thought I was stupid? I told them that the down pipe had new nuts and bolts in it ( which I had fitted when I done the head gasket ) and I knew there was nothing wrong with the exhaust that all it needed was a sealing ring and a fitting kit!! they then told me whoever told me it had new nuts and bolts fitted to it must have lied to me!!
at that point I lost the rag and told them straight that it was me that had fitted the new nuts and bolts at the same time as doing the head gasket on the car and I had the exhaust off the car as it wasn't the one that had been fitted to it when the head went so hence I knew there was feck all wrong with it and told them straight to get the car off the ramp..

they threatened me with the police trying to tell me it was illegal for them to realese my car!! I offered to call the local station there and then from my mobile and strangely there attitude changed!!

after all that carry on I ended out going 50 yards down the road and bought the sealing ring and fitting kit from the motor factors and went home and fixed it

I had then jack my car up on the seal and crumple it when it went in for tyres. Found it 3 months later. They never said a word at the garage. Luckily I complained to head office and there paying for the repairs

I had this with kwik fit in Dundee they burst the floor on my 325i sport I couldn't miss it as they bent the floor next to the accelerator pedal. the manager tried to tell me it was already rusty I asked him to show me the rust. he was pealing bits of burst underseal off and saying "look at that its falling to bits around there" I pointed out that it was underseal and the metal I could see was fine.. " ohh so it is my mistake " wash is response. then he tells me.. one of the boys here can weld I can get him to stick a plate on it!! yea right!! needless to say it got fixed in a body shop of my choice and they covered the bill

very true,

were alright as we know better, its the women and older drivers who really get stung by them!

I thought this had been widely understood for several years?

I took my old car to KwikFit once, but only because I knew what was wrong with it and they were the only place local who could fit the work in that day. I still needed to take it back because they didn't do it right.

If you work at KwikFit, you can't be anywhere near a half-decent mechanic.

At the end of the day they are no different to franchised main dealers, who have been doing the same things for years.

The problem is that these outfits have sales targets to meet and will generally rip people off to meet them. As we all know you generally get a better service from small independents who can't hide behind a corporate name and have more to lose if they get a bad reputation.

Reactions: Artimus and Ghost
I have them do my tracking and wheel balancing but wouldn't dare let them do anything else.

I have them do my tracking and wheel balancing but wouldn't dare let them do anything else.
I wouldn't even let them do my tracking! they tend to aim for average settings, rather than be precise (which takes more time) - so even after it's been set it can still be off by a degree or so! and the amount of times in the past I've left their place only to circle round the block and go back to complain about the steering wheel being off centre is criminal.

Bunch of drop-outs.

Reactions: Mi11ar
Would never use these clowns in a million years. Friends wife took her Nova SR in due to a spongy pedal and they told her it needed new discs pads, drums and shoes. She was in bits at the bill she was looking at and my friend asked me to pop down as I was local. Refused to let them touch the car and got the same old "we can't let it leave as it's dangerous so I got another friend to bring a trailer and they then could not refuse to release the car. Checked it all over as brakes are safety critical and surprise surprise a new set of front pads and bleeding it through and the brakes were good as gold for the rest of her time with the car (3 years).

Kwik-Fit : £400+
Me : £43 (inclusive of tenner to mate for loan of trailer)

Reactions: Paradox1
This is why they should be sued for daylight robbery

Wouldnt happen like this in america, they sue people for farting in public!!

Reactions: Chillout
I have a Quickfit a mile away from the house. I took it there because I could see the tyre had half deflated so I used the garage as a quick fix. Or so I thought. After inspection, they wanted to charge me £250 for a new tyre, rather than the £15 I paid elsewhere to get it repaired!

People scared to use the private garages fearing your going to get ripped off to. Altho Ive used a local guy for odd jobs in cars past cheap as chips. find your better off mid range it! A usually look up on net to see if ppl have revied them or rated them, used kwik fit a couple times and not had hassle to be fair but there tyre prices are ridiculous! Arnold clark right enough cost me about 400 quid to pass an mot years ago on 306 due to brakes that I still question but was like 18 at time and unsure. Think I maybe been mostly lucky not to be ripped off haha

I wouldn't even let them do my tracking! they tend to aim for average settings, rather than be precise (which takes more time) - so even after it's been set it can still be off by a degree or so! and the amount of times in the past I've left their place only to circle round the block and go back to complain about the steering wheel being off centre is criminal.

Bunch of drop-outs.

I actually recently had my tracking done with them and had to do the exact same, they had somehow made my tracking worse, they done it again to a better standard this time, and blamed it on the Car... which is bull **** there's nothing wrong with anything.

like a mothers meeting in here,

if you cant fix your car then your bond to get ripped of one time or another. thats life. we get ripped of every day.

I'll just use all my invisible tools and invisible machines instead next time :)

I also thought this had ben widely known for years. I don't know if they still work the same way but the fitters are on commission/targets and so the more they can get you to spend the more they earn, not that their basic pay is much so they rip people off in order to make a living, it's unacceptable but customers keep taking their cars there and paying them money so that's how they are still there. Here's a question, are the staff mechanics or just tyre fitters?