Winter Fun Anyone - SNowboarder / Skiers / Ski boarders etc...

neversaydie

Post Whore
Reaction score
Website
www.nsdcreations.co.uk
I'm off Snowboarding to Snowshoe Mountain in West VA, USA in Late Feb into March.

http://www.snowshoemtn.com/mountain/win-mountain/trailmaps/index.htm

Anyone else here an urban surfer or adrenaline junkie?

Probably one of my all time fav past times is snowboarding - I only really do one big winter holiday a year for my adrenaline cravings, I will always hit for the black runs and off pitse if I can get away with it…I’ve had my Ski lift pass confiscated a few times before by going out of bounds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I have two snowboards:

Burton Clash 162 2003/2004 with Burton Custom bindings
Ride Control 162 2005/2006 with Team Ride bindings
My boots are Burton Hail

My Burton Clash is for the pipes, parks on vacations and dry slopes back here in the UK, my Ride board is my freeride board.

normal_DSCF1709.JPG

snowshoemountain.jpg

normal_Snowshoemountain1.jpg

I'm off to Les Gets (right next to Morzine in France), for a couple of weeks. I've done a season there a few years ago followed by a season in Whistler the following year. Les Gets was probably the best 6 months ever, such a great place.

Is that you on the rails? Impressive! I don't think i'd attempt a rail that big with steps still there to hurt yourself on! (here's my attempt at a rail at 4am in Whistler, yes there was a large ammount of beer involved! Funny thing was this was the 2nd attempt, as I thought I could do better! And it DID hurt!)

Railslideabouttohurt.jpg

Those rails are especially good if you only do a holiday every year, it takes me about 2 weeks to get anywhere near the level i was at previously.

I've got a Forum Jeremy Jones 157 pro model (best board I've ever ridden, just love it!) with some Forum ATP (i think?) bindings and Northwave APV boots.
Went on my first season as a skier, but turned to boarding (much easier!).

Yep those pics are of me on the rails - I go Snowboarding every Thursday on the dry slopes so Im never rusty!

Full body armour on the steped rails for me - I also wear a "RED" helmet now after a head concusion hitting trees on a black last year!

Nice photo I think you could become a drunk rail profesh!

Have a good one!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'm off to Val Thorens next Friday, taking 240 students from Reading University Snowsports Club, meeting up with hundreds of other students out there. We go to Bracknell dryslope every week for lessons and snowboard race training and Wycombe dryslope (well before it burnt down) every week for ski race training. I can highly recommend Bracknell. It's got the new Snowflex surface, which is more like a carpet than the old Demdex (semtex) diamond matting. It doesn't hurt when you fall either! I'm just starting to get more involved in the park, starting to get a bit bored of just freeriding all day and as everfy day isn't a powder day, sadly, need a new challenge. I ride a 159 Palmer Crown, but i'm looking for a park / freestyle board. Just not looking at the bank account... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Val Thorens is amazing - a few of my mates are going there on the 7 Jan 2006 - I could not make it as I am going to the USA for my snowboarding :)

As for Bracknell - sounds good I am off to Knockhatch tonight and may pop to Bracknell on Saturday. What days to you participate on - maybe we could meet up...

As for Park boards - the shorter board would be better suited (not too short mind you). I do find snowboarding on snow much easier Rob as you can cut into the snow for better edge control.

We do Bracknell on a Tuesday evening for lessons etc (best to avoid IMO - 70+ ppl). They run ramp and rail nights on a monday and thursday tho, which are meant to be really good. I keep meaning to get over, but always have too much work on. I might go next monday if i finish my report into the impact of flexible leases on property portfolio performance, otherwise it'll be next term (starting back 8th of Jan (ish)).

The snowflex at Bracknell takes a bit of getting used to, but i actually prefer it to Milton Keynes X-Scape now.

Off to Reberty (3 valleys area) on the 22nd Jan for a week of strapping the planks on.

Chalet this year has got a sauna and Jacuzzi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Better not make my usual comment about snowboarders - looking outnumbered at the moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

The company I go with does Sunday transfers, so we avoid all the normal Saturday changeover rubbish and can get a good days skiing in.

[ QUOTE ]
As for Park boards - the shorter board would be better suited (not too short mind you). I do find snowboarding on snow much easier Rob as you can cut into the snow for better edge control.

[/ QUOTE ]

When it comes to buying a new board, I'd strongly recommend trying a few out. When I was in Whistler, every weekend all the manufacturers congregated at the top of the hill with all their new boards, which you could try out for free. Was fantastic, and I really learnt what I wanted and didn't want from a board.
I found it really hard to find a board that had enough flex to ollie easily without too much effort, but still had the stiffness and sidecut I wanted for general carving. The Jeremy Jones board was perfect for me (he's quite a big bloke for a pro too, which prob helped), I tried the other Forum boards (amongst many others) and although I loved the fun factor of the JP walker and Peter Line ones I got a bit annoyed at the "floppiness of them". Strange how different the JP and J Jones boards were considering they're both renowned for their jibbing.

A lot of it does go down to personal choice, my roomate in Whistler was really good and loved the pipe, but actually rode a much longer and stiffer board than me, and mine's quite stiff! I weigh more than him also, which is a major factor in the ammount of flex you need.

Has anyone been to Mount Baker in Washington?

If not, DO it!

I'd say it's one of those places you just HAVE to go to if you're a powder monkey.

It holds the record for most snowfall at a ski resort. I went their for a day and it was just amazing. They had their worst season for years when I went, and there was soooooo much snow. They had markers for the world record year up the lift poles, and it was a good 2oft above where it was then. The lifts have to be built so high due to the ammount of snow they get, that getting on and off can be a bit dodgy! Not to mention the primitive lifts!

But, the best thing is the complete lack of people. Just an entire day of untracked powder.

Tiny place, but a "must do".

Off to lake tahoe in jan for three weeks, plenty of off piste skiing to be done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif