GCHQ taps fibre-optic cables for secret access to world's communications

A price society pays in order to be safe against threats from those who would wish harm upon us. I have nothing to hide so this does not affect me. I would suspect that many terrorist attacks have been prevented because they can read these messages, so they can carry on with it. I want to travel on the Underground without worrying.....

A price society pays in order to be safe against threats from those who would wish harm upon us. I have nothing to hide so this does not affect me. I would suspect that many terrorist attacks have been prevented because they can read these messages, so they can carry on with it. I want to travel on the Underground without worrying.....
Sheep following sheep...that's what they tell folk is there for !

Reactions: Sevv and voorhees
Sheep following sheep...that's what they tell folk is there for !
Totally agree,we are manipulated by false info all the time (I haven't got a tin foil hat on by the way),this bs about looking after us and national security is crap.
They tried to recruit one of them extremists and the whistle blower was arrested at the BBC,the US whistleblower on data is going to be extradited to face treason charges.
The recent expenses fiasco showed what these people in charge of us are really like,I don't trust any of them.

totally agreed with you voorhees.. i qoute Benjamin Franklin " Any society that would give up liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both" ....

@ stateofplay are safe using anything? going on a rather spirited drive in your car gives more of a chance of death for a car crash then a ****** terrorist attack. LOL ... google it.......

Reactions: voorhees
It is not the number of deaths I am concerned with, it is the terror they create. Al Qaeda didn't sit back and say "lets create more car crashes, that will scare them". They pick large groups of innocent people and create fear. And I am happy for them to read the message I send to my Mum each week if it also means that a gang of home grown terrorists are prevented from creating fear in our society by blowing up people commuting to work.

If you have nothing to worry about, then this is a non story, if you are a using the internet to commit a crime, then I hope they track you down and serve justice.

In any free democracy, the people we put in charge have do all sorts of things we would prefer them not to do (including doing deals with the devil) - and would definitely prefer not to know about - but are necessary to protect that democracy. It goes with the territory.

I take the point in the quote of Benjamin Franklin, and in a perfect world, he was right - but we don't live in a perfect world (and Franklin certainly did not live in this world).

i am entirely sure that they can have surveillance on the people that might commite any sort of domestic terrorism however there are more regulations and controls around that.. for instance a miner wanting to take a significant portion of C4 for instance would raise alarm bells and hence be tracked down like a dog.. however have 21 petaflops of data and just sharing it with US or other countries IS NOT right... and if it weren't wrong or the society itself would second guess and doubt such drastic aggressive oppressive measures then they WOULD NOT KEEP IT a SECRET! simply.... if anything its the fear the governments around the world put into people and not what terrorists do... and if anything you would have to blame your OWN government for domestic terrorism with there ****** lax immigration policies that have cause you to loose that PRIVACY... if you don't value privacy then why don't you put your real name on the forum and while you're at it your bank details and address ... where you work etc... or even walk naked on the street ...

sorry but your arguments do not exist...

Sorry, but our immigration policy is not the reason why we have terrorism, it is our Foreign policy. They are very different things. Please don't blame immigrants for this situation.

sorry but your arguments do not exist...

I'm not sure who this was addressed to, but if it was me, then actually, I think you'll find they do exist. Just because you don't agree with them, you should never suggest other peoples' views don't exist.

Sorry, but our immigration policy is not the reason why we have terrorism, it is our Foreign policy. They are very different things. Please don't blame immigrants for this situation.

it is your immigration policy and either way they work in tandem with each other....

@jdp sorry mate didnt mean your arguments didnt exist that was daft.. a typo i meant your arguments are incorrect "in my opinion"

Please explain yourself. Why is it our immigration policy?