What happens to relatively new high mileage cars?

MadA3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is probably really stupid but it's something I can't comprehend. Every year thousands of new cars are purchased. A lot of them are get quite high miles in the first 3-5 years. Once a car reaches say 150,000+ miles is it worth it to keep it? Or are they just scrapped?

I only ask because you see so many fleet cars which pound the tarmac everyday doing huge amounts of miles a year, surely after 3 years once these cars have reached high mileages they are not worth keeping?

Again probably the stupidest question ever but it intrigues me. My brothers company cars hits around 150,000 after 3 years so will these be auctioned off?

My car is a mere 1.6 A3 and it's hit nearly 55k, after around 150,000 miles I reckon it won't be worth maintaining that anymore, so does that mean a relatively new car could potentially be scrapped for parts? I had a look on Autotrader and you don't see that many cars with very high mileages.

I guess my main question is what is the expected life of modern cars in terms of years/mileage?

Again apologies if this is the stupidest question ever!

Car Supermarkets sometimes have deals to take these cars from Company's, and they can also go straight to auction if they have extremely high mileage.

3 year old high milers these days still have some use as most have full manufacturer service history and have clocked up the miles on motorways - which means they haven't usually been abused.

I'd pay £3k for a 200k mile, 3 year old S3 for example.

Or, in a few years they get broken up to keep all of the other cars on the road going. As soon as cars get 5-10 years old people don't want to pay dealer prices for parts and look at the scrappies instead.

Ive found that mostly all trade ins with high mileage end up in the salvage yard where they are auctioned off starting at low bidding prices, A family firend here in aberdeen runs a salvage yard where he has an online auction every week which runs from saturday to saturday, the auction is linked to just about every insurance approved breaker in the UK

ive often seen 2-4 yr old motors with 150k + on his site for sale

These high milers spend most of their lives on the motorway, which in general are smooth, so the suspension won't be as tired as the mileage suggests, and being a company car, it should have full service history. I wouldn't be put off purchasing if the price is right!

Where theres supply there will be demand, Just sold cheaper etc.