Studying, How to make it stick ???

Broken Byzan

Photographic Moderator
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all, I am currently attempting to get some I.T accredited skills, and as such wonder how i would go about studying properly. I have the text books and the latest mock exam, do i just read through the text book and hope some sticks or what??

I wasn't the most attentive at school, and it has been a very long time since i was there ,lol

I tend to learn more by doing/figuring things out, but that doesnt seem to be the way forward from here

Tips and hints very very welcome

Im in a similar boat.... Just started a degree in Engineering with the OU. Pretty hard to be disciplined and do the work, but i find its best to JUST DO IT... Or i keep putting it off.

Best way to learn it do the reading, with a notebook by yourside, and note down the key elements of what you are reading, and then refer back to them later. Atleast this way, you have to READ it to be able to write it down!

Rich

I got a degree in Economics and an MSC in Audiological Sciences in a grand total of about 2 months (over 6 years) using the following method...

1; Study for 20 minute sessions and have an hour break. Any longer and you will fail to take in what you have read.

2; The Pub Paraphrase. Whether in written or verbal form, imagine your best mate asking you over a beer (for example) "What's Binaural Processing all about then?". Once you can Pub Paraphrase you can be sure that you actually understand what you have read.

3; One Word per SubTopic. Say you have an overall subject matter which is very involved. Break it down into 5 or 6 SubTopics, and find a single word for each topic. Memorise the list of words and rehearse using the list to expand on each SubTopic and thus the whole subject matter in its entirety.

Hope this doesn't sound like Hocus Pocus. This technique has evolved over my whole (and ongoing) academic career and has made studying and learning a much more efficient process than it seems to be for most of my colleagues.

Good luck whatever method you choose.

Mawhitey -

I agree with recommendations above - though I would add...

If you learn more from 'doing' then try to reinforce the learning with some practical if you can.. (I know that seems obvious).. a couple of ropey old PCs with network cards in is all you need to install and practice play with an enormous range of systems..

MS for example are very free with their 90 day 'evaluation' copies of just about everything they do - from server 2003, through SQL, Exchange, you name it. These are great, for reinforcing your reading - which can be really 'dry' without something to actually do..in fact Ive probably got a lot of the eval CDs kicking about, quite happy to send you them if that would be useful! drop me a pm if so.

[ QUOTE ]
Mawhitey -

I agree with recommendations above - though I would add...

If you learn more from 'doing' then try to reinforce the learning with some practical if you can.. (I know that seems obvious).. a couple of ropey old PCs with network cards in is all you need to install and practice play with an enormous range of systems..

MS for example are very free with their 90 day 'evaluation' copies of just about everything they do - from server 2003, through SQL, Exchange, you name it. These are great, for reinforcing your reading - which can be really 'dry' without something to actually do..in fact Ive probably got a lot of the eval CDs kicking about, quite happy to send you them if that would be useful! drop me a pm if so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or if you haven't got multiple pc's purchase a copy of VMWare (not expensive) and create virtual machines! I use this all the time and its a fantastic product...

Excellent for test rigs etc..

I found one of the best ways to get info to stick was to study with someone who thinks the same way you do. This was easy with a mate at university, as we would question the facts and they would sink in because we'd made each other think more about the information we were looking at.
Easier said than done to find someone like-minded though.

[ QUOTE ]
Thats a good idea, thanks

Good luck in your course mate

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. you too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I failed my 2003 MCP Managing & Maintaining Core Environment exam, I also studied the book twice, but had a big gap in between and did as many crammers as possible.
I took the morning off work without them knowing what i was doing.

I Ended up with the 65 question paper, 180 mins if i remember.

The test centre is the most important place, i could not concentrate due to people walking past the room, walking above the room i was in with high heels, it was hell.

I had to call the course advisor in twice to ask them to control the noise from above, apparently there were 15 women above doing an admin course and i could hear the ****** filing cabinets being slammed above.

I just wish i had picked a more suitalble environment. just consider distractions.

Thanks everyone, Finding someone around here like minded would be hard, I already can set up machines/Networks etc, so the practicle there is solid.

It's going to be the stupid questions like shortcut keys and remote adminastration etc that i think i will suffer with.

Mingblue, did you re take the exam mate??

Dicky, vmware eh, will take a look now ,

Thanks guys and dolls

No not yet, now that i'm working there is never enough time.

I would'nt mind retaking the exam just to add to my 8+ years IT experience. That was the only reason i was taking it anyway.

VmWare is an excellent tool, download the desktop version, remember that you need loads of memory avaialbe as each Virtual Machine uses separate amounts of memory. You can allocate the memory for each machine. If you need any advice give me or dicky a shout and we can help you out.

I've used the cheap version before for £90, this is ideal for home, using this version i have replicated SQL over a cluster. All you need to do is download the disk image files to create the array and bingo you have a virtual cluster obviously software based but you still learn all you need to know. I've also used it for Netware environments.

What exam are you taking?

I did the 70-290 and most of the questions were about NTBackup built into Win2003 loads about Terminal Services etc and then group policys and RAID, god come to think of it practically everything. Also alot of performance counter questions.

good luck anyhow.

God I hate MS Exams... I did the "Designing a Windows 2000 Network environment" and I hated it!

Passed it though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am supposed to be doing 70-271, 70-272,70-270,70-290,70-291,70-284,70-293,70,294 and 70-298, that should see me with MCSA ,MCDST and MCSE apparently.

Sorry for the long winded answer, i copied the exams from the sheet in order i came across them,lol

Yeah thats the lot, but alot of hard work involved, the boot camps reckon you can pass all in 2 weeks. You have to be the right candidate for that though.

When you look at the scheduling for these courses you will be amazed. You basically have to put your life on hold for 2 weeks.

I personally don't think you need all of them, i would take each exam depending on how important it is. MCSE is an all rounder candidate, MCP's still win jobs. If you can pass one you can basically pass the rest.

I would be inclined to look into a CCNA

I was an NT4 mcse and did them all again for W2k.. havent taken any of the 2k3 exams though! Not sure I will now, am now Head of IT and have a team of great chaps, but an awful lot less 'hands on' time.. :-( after 20 technical years, 15 in IT purely, im not too fussed now!

However - My number two son is doing the BTEC Higher for IT practitioners, and Im very impressed with the course content - far more real life use than a general IT degree IMO... he was accepted at sixth form a year early (smug parental grin) and so at 16 he is now a term into his second year and has already passed his CCNA..
and as MIngBlu says, CCNA is a really good one to start with - far less common than MCPs, great progression path, good employment prospects too.. thats not belittling the MS path, just a lot more competition for jobs that way!

CCNA, is that Cisco stuff, I am kinda stuck with the MCP stuff as its bought and paid for, but i don't see why i couldnt pay for some more courses/exams.

I have to admit i have always been into IT as such, but need to have something to show for it, although i am a late bloomer,lol @ 34 i have a bit to learn to catch up with you lot

[ QUOTE ]
CCNA, is that Cisco stuff, I am kinda stuck with the MCP stuff as its bought and paid for, but i don't see why i couldnt pay for some more courses/exams.

I have to admit i have always been into IT as such, but need to have something to show for it, although i am a late bloomer,lol @ 34 i have a bit to learn to catch up with you lot

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep CCNA is Cisco related. You then advance to a CCNE..

Good industry to be in!