Sigh...

Ess_Three

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Oh dear...I'm depressed.

I appear to be stuck on a large concrete and metal thing approx 100 miles NE of Shetland as the weather closes in.

Supposed to be going home today...but it's not looking too likely.
Sigh...

Winds at 60 kts, wave height 9+ m...not good.

Sorry to moan...it was either that or start shouting at someone out here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sounds like your a bit of a prisoner... and on somewhere a bit grim.. 9m+ waves? Ouch.

Oh dear, sorry to hear that.... Still, you have AS.net to keep you company !!

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like your a bit of a prisoner... and on somewhere a bit grim..

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure am...
One offshore platform is pretty much as grim as another...especially when you are weathered-on on crewchange day.

[ QUOTE ]

9m+ waves? Ouch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed...
And wind strong enough to blow me off my feet...and as you know, i'm no lightweight!

come to think of it...do I really want to fly on a day like this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Got any pics Glen? Would be interested to see if you have any?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like your a bit of a prisoner... and on somewhere a bit grim..

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure am...
One offshore platform is pretty much as grim as another...especially when you are weathered-on on crewchange day.

[ QUOTE ]

9m+ waves? Ouch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed...
And wind strong enough to blow me off my feet...and as you know, i'm no lightweight!

come to think of it...do I really want to fly on a day like this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... Flying in bad weather is one thing.... Fyling in a helicopter in bad weather is a little worse id say... Probably safer not to!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

'fraid not...use of battery powered non-IS equipment doesn't go down too well on a live hydrocarbon platform!

Take my word for it...it's wild.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Found this though...looks like this:

396942320SxBxOn_ph.jpg

'kin ell....... and I thought my job sat in an office was bad...... Not quite the view I get out the office window.... (a friggin car park !!!)
You go steady mate and don't go too near the barriers........

Yeah bet its gutting thinking your getting to go home and then getting old you will have to stay a little longer.

A girl i used to see's dad works on the rigs up that way.

I always thought this 2 weeks on 2 weeks off milarky seemed pretty kusht.

Anyway hope the weather picks up so you can get home.

Cheers.

Hmm.... Glad im where i am... Not quite as interesting though!

Rather you than me mate! Although if it pays for a new porker then maybe!

My uncle is currently working off shore up your way...

How many people do you work with Glen?

[ QUOTE ]
'kin ell....... and I thought my job sat in an office was bad......

[/ QUOTE ]

The job's great...no problems with that.
Where else can you have 3 free ****** meals per day, free laundry, free Sky, free internet access, room cleaned for you and as much tea as you can drink - free of course?
Where else can you get free helicopter trips each two weeks?

More importantly, where else can you get 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, with a 6 week break every 5th trip?

All this and damn good monet to boot!

This is a GOOD job!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

you only get hacked off when your trip is up and you've got your going home head on...only to be delayed by weather.

[ QUOTE ]

You go steady mate and don't go too near the barriers........

[/ QUOTE ]

The barriers are fine...they've all rusted away but are now supported by nice new scaffold poles....reasuring, i'm sure you'll agree. (I'm not joking!)

It's the rusty, thinning gratings down on the cellar deck hung below the platform that are scarey...they've got 28 years worth of sea air and rust on them. Great!

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah bet its gutting thinking your getting to go home and then getting old you will have to stay a little longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too true.

They've just cancelled the flight mafter mine...hopefully I'll still get off, but late.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway hope the weather picks up so you can get home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too mate...me too...

[ QUOTE ]
Rather you than me mate! Although if it pays for a new porker then maybe!

[/ QUOTE ]

There is always a silver lining...

[ QUOTE ]

My uncle is currently working off shore up your way...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know which one he's on?

[ QUOTE ]

How many people do you work with Glen?

[/ QUOTE ]

We've just upmanned over the last few days...so we are at max POB of 140.
Lots of new faces on for the shutdown...

The operations shift I'm on has about 10-12 on days and 5 on nights...all Shell people.
The rest are different contract companies doinf different maintenance, engineering, support, catering etc jobs.

Such a shame that I start one of my 6 week breaks today...I'm going to miss the treat known as the annual shutdown!

I'll find out which one he is on Glen...

Just by chance you haven't come across a John Newman have you? Or nugget as he's sometimes called!

[ QUOTE ]
I'll find out which one he is on Glen...

[/ QUOTE ]

OK...

[ QUOTE ]

Just by chance you haven't come across a John Newman have you? Or nugget as he's sometimes called!

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't say I have...

The one which Caroline's dad is on is the "Transocean 712". His name is Lex Horesburgh. Chances of you knowing him are probably one in a million.

Thought i would just ask anyway though.

So what do you actually do on the rigs? Apart from watch Sky, munch, drink tea and surf the web!!

Cheers.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
'kin ell....... and I thought my job sat in an office was bad......

[/ QUOTE ]

The job's great...no problems with that.
Where else can you have 3 free ****** meals per day, free laundry, free Sky, free internet access, room cleaned for you and as much tea as you can drink - free of course?
Where else can you get free helicopter trips each two weeks?

More importantly, where else can you get 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, with a 6 week break every 5th trip?

All this and damn good monet to boot!

This is a GOOD job!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

you only get hacked off when your trip is up and you've got your going home head on...only to be delayed by weather.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif - Any Jobs going...... wouldn't mind doing something different rather than sat in an office - I dont mind manual graft at all....... Plus the extra coin would come in handy.......

Sounds rough out there Glen, but as you said the perks and money are good.

And congratulations on your 2000 post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The one which Caroline's dad is on is the "Transocean 712".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh...
I'm not sure where the 712 is at present...it was drilling some new wells for the Scott not long ago... remember hearing the name on the radio traffic.

[ QUOTE ]

His name is Lex Horesburgh. Chances of you knowing him are probably one in a million.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right...I don't know him...

[ QUOTE ]

So what do you actually do on the rigs? Apart from watch Sky, munch, drink tea and surf the web!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an Operations Tech with an Instrument background...so run and maintain the process plant, repair it when it breaks etc...

[ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif - Any Jobs going...... wouldn't mind doing something different rather than sat in an office - I dont mind manual graft at all....... Plus the extra coin would come in handy.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure...
i've only just started here...this was my first trip.

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds rough out there Glen, but as you said the perks and money are good.

[/ QUOTE ]

True...

Good news though...the first flight should be here any second...and I should still be off today.
The sea state has died down and the wind dropped a fair bit.

Next stop Scatsta in Shetland...then Aberdeen...then home. Woohoo.

[ QUOTE ]

And congratulations on your 2000 post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee..thanks!

I'll have to watch out...people will be thinking I'm a post whore!

You a post whore, well if hell freezed over (lol), but seriously though, how long does it take you to get home from the rig in total?

so is it ok to go round your house tonight ? as you sure you wont be home

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmmmm.... Interesting comment....... Well if the monitored alarm don't get you, his best friend will....

rottweiler4ll.jpg

And whilst on a walk in the woods....

rottweiler16bh.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
One of my best mates works in the same field as you for ABLE, don't suppose you come across anyone from there? he's offshore quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't seen any Able people on the platform i'm on...

[ QUOTE ]
You a post whore, well if hell freezed over (lol), but seriously though, how long does it take you to get home from the rig in total?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there's a thing...

On a good day...we should leave at about lunchtime if leaving on the second rotation of choppers...
About 35-45 minutes of a helicopter flight to Scatsta in Shetland...
A wait there for 30 mins to an hour...
Then a 45 minute fixed wing flight to Aberdeen from Scatsta...
Then a taxi home...on a good day, maybe 2 1/2 to 3 hours after lifting from the platform, i'd be home...on a very good day....in the house by 3pm ish.

Yesterday was not a good day...

With weather delays we didn't lift until just before 7pm.
got back to Aberdeen at 9pm ish...to find the fools at Aberdeen airport couldn't find steps to get us off the plane...
Then the bags took an eternity to arrive...
I eventually got back at about 10pm....but at least I got back!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think you can get past my other half, an alarmed house and even more alarmed garage monitored by ADT and the police...you are welcome to try! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think you can get past my other half, an alarmed house and even more alarmed garage monitored by ADT and the police...you are welcome to try! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Sounds like a job for oceans 13 or the night hawk, sorry just been watching oceans 12.

your mrs usually opens the door for me Ess, when you going to decorate the bedroom ceilings?

[ QUOTE ]
your mrs usually opens the door for me Ess, when you going to decorate the bedroom ceilings?

[/ QUOTE ]

7 or 14 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

7 or 14 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha Ha Ha..... F cuk that - I bet it's more more lika "see ya..... have a nice life without AS net......." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha-ha!
I'll remind Dr Rooke that one of his mantalists are on the loose...

I'll sleep safe in the knowledge that my other half wouldn't let you within 10ft of her...
What's the weather like in your world today?

[ QUOTE ]

Ha Ha Ha..... F cuk that - I bet it's more more lika "see ya..... have a nice life without AS net......." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be unfair to mock the afflicted...or to persecute the mentally ill.
I'll leave him be...he obviously leads such a miserable existence, struggling to differentiate between reality and his twisted view of fiction that it would appear that a-s.net is his only pleasure in life.
Far be it for me to deny such a pleasure from someone quite so sad...

Pity him...let's not ban him...there, there...poor soul.