JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Who said turbo needs Engine Oil?

This dude is arguing with me and my buddy about our 1.8T, claiming that we don't know anything about turbo and that it doesn't need oil and coolant... someone wants to educate him?

=========================
    Sent: November 3, 2005 3:47 PM
    To: TK Chan
    Subject: RE: A4

dude....before you call me an idiot man....and saying "You really dont know anything about turbos do you"

Your engine oil DOES NOT get circulated to your turbo. Your engine oil stays in the engine, period. A "turbo" is just a turbine/blower, its a stand alone device, it has ITS OWN gear oils inside, so no it does not grind metal on metal, and you cannot change the oil inside the blower unless you rebuild the whole thing.

I attached a picture of a "turbo"

Rodney Chau
    Account Manager
    GAO Research Inc.
    601 Milner Avenue, Suite 300
    Toronto ON, M1B 1M8, Canada
    Sales Team: sales@gaoresearch.com
    E-mail: rodneyc@gaoresearch.com
    Phone: +1 416-292-0038 ext:231
    http://www.gaoresearch.com

2. # ADS
    ADS

VOIP Dude

Status

Re: Who said turbo needs Engine Oil?

You might (if you have time still) want to delete the email addresses out of the post.

Turbos generally do have an oil feed to them for both lubrication and/or cooling. Water cooled turbos also have a coolant supply to them.

I'm sure that someone somewhere will present a turbo which has its own ecosystem and doesn't require either to be supplied from the engine, but as a rule they do.

Do you have the picture of the turbo he sent you?

Neutral

Status

I have it somewhere.. it was a K04s

HTC
    6th Gear

Status

Would you like some VW/Audi diagrams to to send to him? :-)

I swapped my turbo over lasy month and I can tell you that it most definately was connected to the engine via oil lines and coolant lines.

But yeah, he may well have a turbo pic of one that is separate.

smoking a6

Status

some superchargers have seperate oil i believe and screw chargers are commonly refered to as turbos even though they are NOT,

imported_VaulterTim

As a general rule turbos have their lubricating oil and cooling fluid supplied from the engine. It is the simplest and most cost effective way for engine manufacturers to kill two birds with one stone so-to-speak.

As mentioned, it is possible, and more beneficial sometimes in my opinion, to have stand-alone lubrication systems.

Take the instance of superchargers for example... I believe quite a few people run these systems. A friend of mine has recently purchased a stand-alone system from Pitstop Developments for his Mk1 Golf with a Stage 4 Jabba G60 in it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The purpose..? To supply lubricating oil to the 'charger under constant pressure.

The pressure changes with engine speed, higher speed, higher pressure, and at high engine speeds this can sometimes cause the 'charger seals to blow out in the most extreme of circumstances. Either way, if this doesn't happen, the seals are taking more punishment than they need to so the constant-pressure system is very useful in this case. I believe it even incorporates it's own oil cooler also [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But coming back to the point that gimp made about the turbo having it's own internal chamber of 'gear oils' (WTF!?) and to replace it you need to rebuild it etc... sounds like he either has a special kind of turbo or he's smoking crack [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

T