Volks AutosChris Nott
    ...Watching you!

Status

Die Grinder for head work - What power!?

Right, This is not for my A3... But i've got a head im doing some work on but need to get a decent die grinder... Now is 240w enough, or would i need something more like 600w?

Anyone help!?

Rich

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

Re: Die Grinder for head work - What power!?

Rich,

It depends of who's motor it being used!Usually, the more power, the better for not stalling!

I have a Draper adjustable speed die-grinder...Its 600w and adjustable speed.
    The adjustable speed will enable you to do raw aluminium grinding and surface finishing with Scotchbrite finishers...for the best possible surface for flow.

I've used it for many hours...it's just as good as the old Makita single speed thing I used to use...but the adjustable speed is a boost as the Scotchbrite stuff needs to be done at low speed.

I got mine from Tooled-Up.com...see here:
    Die Grinder

Pretty decent price too - approx 150

If you want a recommendation from someone who's done several hundrred hours of grinding...then I'd recommend this unit. It works...

...Watching you!

Status

Thanks Glen! Just what i needed to know!

...Watching you!

Status

Found it for 130 delivered inc vat. Bargain!! Should do the trick... Now to see if i manage to do a good job or not [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Rich

Status

Rich,
    WD40 is your friend!!
    Remember that...it'll make the bit glide better, dig in less, clog up less as well as lubricating and cooling.

Use it well...it makes the job much easier....and go slowly...a new carbide bit on solf aluminium will soon take too much metal away...then you are proper fcuked.

You can get a really goo porting kit from Demon Tweeks...a Standard Abraisives kit that gives you the emery cloth bits and Scotchbrite finishing bits...it gived everything you need to smooth out and finish where the Carbide cutter stops.
    Worth it...

...Watching you!

Status

Thanks for the tips [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Is the DT kit the one on their site for 45? Thats the one i was looking at getting!

Status

I can't find it...got a link?

I supopse it will be...the porting starter kit?

If you go to Standard Abraisives website, there are some great articles to download all about theory, practice and the finishes you want where, when it comes to engine prep. Worth the read...

If the kit you are after has the Scotchbrite pads, be aware that they don't like heat or running dry...it wears them out quick!
    WD40 again will cool and lubricate - it's messy - but makes the pads last longer.

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Right, This is not for my A3...

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW...once you get up to speed with your die-grinder...you may want to whip your inlet manifold and TB off and have a look...

You'll see what I mean...a couple of hours work will improve things no end...if you know what I mean! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

...Watching you!

Status

SA kit @ DT

DT sell the SA kit...I checked the part number on the site so should be just what i need!

When i get it i'll get industrial quantities of WD-40... can never have too much of that stuff anyway [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Have had a look at the SA website and they have a good article of porting head... Shall take note of it!

I take it the scotchbrite pads are the weird shaped things? Almost like lost of squares randomnly stuck together?

To be honest, i'd not thought about the inlet manifold and TB... but shall definately take a look. I need a new TB anyway, so if i f*ck it up, its not the end of the world!!

Rich

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    SA kit @ DT

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the beast Rich.

[ QUOTE ]

DT sell the SA kit...I checked the part number on the site so should be just what i need!

[/ QUOTE ]

They also sell the Engine Clean Up kit...or something similar. Great for removing gaskets and cleaning up alloy castings externally...also great for re-furbing wheels!

[ QUOTE ]

When i get it i'll get industrial quantities of WD-40... can never have too much of that stuff anyway [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll not need lots...little and often, or it'll get sprayed everywhere - and all over you!

It's a messy, messy job...remember safety glasses or goggles.
    Also, a pair of Mechanix gloves (or similar) are good for helping reduce the vibration of the die grinder, and good at keeping your hands from getting too messy - you can wash them at the end of the day!...and your hands stay warm, dry and clean. Also great if it kicks back - you don't get cuts etc.

[ QUOTE ]

I take it the scotchbrite pads are the weird shaped things? Almost like lost of squares randomnly stuck together?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's them...
    They give a satin, cross=hatch type finish...perfect for inlets! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

To be honest, i'd not thought about the inlet manifold and TB... but shall definately take a look. I need a new TB anyway, so if i f*ck it up, its not the end of the world!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll not mess anything up smoothing out...believe me!
    Good luck...and enjoy!

...Watching you!

Status

Thanks for the advice Glen... actually looking forward to getting on with this... 'IT' has been sat in the garage on the stand for the last 6 months. Glad to be getting on with it again. Good winter project!

Shall find some gloves to use... probably a good idea, and already got goggles from when i did the intercooler pipework.

I bought the porting kit, and also the gasket removal kit.. get all the surfaces nice and clean, and they really arent at the moment!

Think i'll remove dads Ducati from the garage before i start...dont think he would appreciate it being covered in ally filings and WD-40! lol

Thanks!

Rich

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the advice Glen... actually looking forward to getting on with this... 'IT' has been sat in the garage on the stand for the last 6 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohh, ohh...go and PM me the name of the 'thing' i'm intrigued now!

[ QUOTE ]

Shall find some gloves to use... probably a good idea, and already got goggles from when i did the intercooler pipework.

[/ QUOTE ]

A boiler suit is always a good idea too...fasten it up nice and high up...stops your neck getting covered...and a dust mask is a good idea too.
    Believe me, you don't want to be breathing that stuff...those cheap B&Q things work a treat and aren't too hot to wear.

[ QUOTE ]

Think i'll remove dads Ducati from the garage before i start...dont think he would appreciate it being covered in ally filings and WD-40! lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Wise words...

I found a Black and Decker 'Workmate' to be ideal as a vice, as the wooden jaws won't mark the alloy...and if you keep the grinding pointed towards a wall, and the Workmate up against the wall, it's not too messy...

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]

Ohh, ohh...go and PM me the name of the 'thing' i'm intrigued now!

[/ QUOTE ]

Done [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

A boiler suit is always a good idea too...fasten it up nice and high up...stops your neck getting covered...and a dust mask is a good idea too.
    Believe me, you don't want to be breathing that stuff...those cheap B&Q things work a treat and aren't too hot to wear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got some rather fetching bright red Koni overalls... should do the trick! :P

[ QUOTE ]

Wise words...

I found a Black and Decker 'Workmate' to be ideal as a vice, as the wooden jaws won't mark the alloy...and if you keep the grinding pointed towards a wall, and the Workmate up against the wall, it's not too messy...

[/ QUOTE ]

Cant beat good old workmate!

smoking a6

Status

Glen any good technique books that would give a heads up for someone starting some porting, i'm going to have a go on a spare throttle body see if i can atleast learn what difference techniques can make

...Watching you!

Status

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm

Take a look at the above...

Status

There ya go...Rich is on the ball...

...Watching you!

Status

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

smoking a6

Status

nice one Rich!