Just Eat

Have you used the Just Eat site before?

• Yes I have

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • No I haven't

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Never heard of them(you have now! lol)

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Ok fast food lovers, do any of you use this site to find take-aways or order a take out?

I have a local representative that keeps coming in to pester me to join, and it seems like I'm the only local shop whose not on their site based on a quick browse.

I noticed there's an App available on the iPhone for this site too, so maybe times are changing, and I need to keep up!

Yep! About to order our Saturday night takeaway via them right now!

Jo, do you deliver to Ward End?

I just fancy sweet and sour pork and egg fried rice right now and I can't be ***** to walk down the road.

I use it its pretty cool and the fact you can pay by card makes it even better, no excuses for not getting parmo that way lol or in peoples case down your way Chinese food

I use it its pretty cool and the fact you can pay by card makes it even better, no excuses for not getting parmo that way lol or in peoples case down your way Chinese food

I don't take card mate, and if I allow orders to be taken from their site, they take commission from each order, and they send payment to you in a lump sum a week later or something. It's not cheap to register on their site neither, so some things to think about!

I just got an email from them saying they now have an App on Android as well.

It is a pretty awesome service.

Ok fast food lovers, do any of you use this site to find take-aways or order a take out?

I have a local representative that keeps coming in to pester me to join, and it seems like I'm the only local shop whose not on their site based on a quick browse.

I noticed there's an App available on the iPhone for this site too, so maybe times are changing, and I need to keep up!

Just eat is massive for students at university. I know people who have spent way over £5000 over 3 years on their just eat accounts.

Its really easy to use and order from and find reviews.

Speaking for students, if a take away etc wasn't on there it would be strange, and people feel a lot more safe using their online ordering rather than random take aways.

I've never heard of them before, I'm always cautious of ordering takeaways online as how do I know they have my order, email confirmation is not the same and someone on the phone telling you the price and how long it will take lol

As for registering your business, you would need to consider the cost of investment against return. To get paid weekly or monthly from them might not suit some businesses. If your competition are doing this already it maybe worth asking them how they rate the service?

Just eat is massive for students at university. I know people who have spent way over £5000 over 3 years on their just eat accounts.

Its really easy to use and order from and find reviews.

Speaking for students, if a take away etc wasn't on there it would be strange, and people feel a lot more safe using their online ordering rather than random take aways.

I'm not near a university, so I don't think that's my audience personally.

I've never heard of them before, I'm always cautious of ordering takeaways online as how do I know they have my order, email confirmation is not the same and someone on the phone telling you the price and how long it will take lol

As for registering your business, you would need to consider the cost of investment against return. To get paid weekly or monthly from them might not suit some businesses. If your competition are doing this already it maybe worth asking them how they rate the service?

Fast food is a dog eat dog business, I'm not in contact with any of my local take aways, they are my rivals! Lol But there's so many of us about locally, I've not been able to put prices up in 2 years, so my only way to boost business is high volume at low(ish) prices.

In all honesty, after 10 years+ in this trade, I'm ready to move on and do something else, but it's easier said than done!

Reactions: Nilz
Have heard of just eat before but never used them. Pretty sure the last time I looked at it, the extra charge for ordering for them didn't seem to make sense to me. Pay a premium for ordering online, or just call the place up and avoid it. No brainer to me!

That said, about a year ago I started doing deliveries a few nights a week for a local take away company. We aren't as big as the likes of Pizza Hut or dominos etc - but we are growing, recently opened a second shop and have plans for a couple of more.

Id not like to put figures on it, but a huge chunk of our business comes from online orders directly through our own website. As a guess, I'd say we probably get more online orders than cash ones.

As a driver, I find people are less likely to tip when they've already paid for their food - which is a pain.

That's the thing Les, they are big enough to advertise on TV now, and with that, they can charge a fortune for their service/advertising!
So are you doing ok without it? Could you do better with a bit more of local advertising? If you feel like everything is going ok I wouldn't be spending loads on TV advertising. Maybe the thing to do is to get more hits on internet google pages and the like. (you would have to get someone with more knowhow than me for that though!)

Have heard of just eat before but never used them. Pretty sure the last time I looked at it, the extra charge for ordering for them didn't seem to make sense to me. Pay a premium for ordering online, or just call the place up and avoid it. No brainer to me!

That said, about a year ago I started doing deliveries a few nights a week for a local take away company. We aren't as big as the likes of Pizza Hut or dominos etc - but we are growing, recently opened a second shop and have plans for a couple of more.

Id not like to put figures on it, but a huge chunk of our business comes from online orders directly through our own website. As a guess, I'd say we probably get more online orders than cash ones.

As a driver, I find people are less likely to tip when they've already paid for their food - which is a pain.

There is no extra charge to order off the 'Just Eat' site, the prices on the menu are as it is in the shop, but if you choose to pay by card, then Just Eat holds the money and pays you in a lump sum weekly/monthly(not 100% sure) minus some commission.

I presume you mean you are a delivery driver, correct? The country is in a recession, no one tips anymore... when I first started delivery(around 6 tears ago), the drivers would get enough tips to cover for fuel, and the basic I pay them, plus a £1 for every delivery he does was pure income. Now they would get a few quid max a day.

So are you doing ok without it? Could you do better with a bit more of local advertising? If you feel like everything is going ok I wouldn't be spending loads on TV advertising. Maybe the thing to do is to get more hits on internet google pages and the like. (you would have to get someone with more knowhow than me for that though!)

It's not the TV advertising I'm after, it's more to do with, when someone looks for a local take-away through Just Eat, using their postcode, I want to be on there. I have my own website for my shop, but it's just an online menu with my shop details, plugging it is not easy.

I have to admit I'm not that keen on using Just Eat, but to future proof my trade for the next 10 years lets say, this maybe the next step. My shop has been trading since 1975, so has a good rep, so I have my local regulars, I'm aiming this at my younger customers, who only order from their home whilst using the internet! lol

Hmmmm maybe I'm talking rubbish then, it's been a while since I've looked at it - but do recall there being something which put me off at the time.

Yeah I'm a driver. We get cars and fuel provided for us which is the only reason I do it, wouldn't use my own car. We get minimum wage plus whatever tips we get. Have defo noticed a huge decline in the tips side of it though. Internet and card orders definitely play their part in that as it does away with the 'keep the change' element of it.

So is that not a way you could go (online ordering through your website?) I can't see how you could be on their site without paying them? It doesn't work like google does it? So it doesn't matter how popular your site is, it wont flag up on theirs will it. Just out of interest I just went onto just eat and none of our local Chinese takeaways that we use are on it. Are you concerned because the "younger" generation use the just eat website, or because they use the internet? If it's the latter you just need to make sure you are near the top on any search (we used a web based company and paid so our company was always in the top 5 on local searches). This is good because you can track how many hits you have and what times etc. If it's the former I'm afraid you will probably have to join the just eat "many".

Last edited:
i would rather use just eat than go through the bother of phoning up and trying to get through and then maybe getting the wrong order!
you also get the delivery and full total on screen which is useful, and the ability to pay by card is a bonus!
you just click and pay and then grab the food when the pizza dude arrives! (or any other takeaway of your choice!)
there is also a list of all the different types of takeaway in your area, plus a star rating off feedback left so if your not too sure about an establishment, then just look how many stars they have notched up! and your onto a winner!
this feature alone is an excellent advertising feature i think jo!
just do it mate! and move with the times!:thumbsup:

Emailing the Just Eat site to answer one simple question. I need to register with them first, then give out my shop details and make an appointment to get this ****** answer. I've replied insisting they answer my simple yes/no question before I decide the next step of registration. lol

Everyone knows what happens once you give your details out, the phone won't stop ringing until they have you!

All I want to know is, if I can just advertise my business on there without the option of taking orders? Clearly, the taking orders bit is a big part of their business, so they can take their cut, after asking you to pay a lump sum to register your company, then there's another charge to have their fax machine installed into your shop to give you the orders, which I'm not interested in...

but its how they operate jo?
bite the bullet and go forth!
i am sure you will benefit from it, its a good service!
ultimately its your decision, but were you like this about the internet, mobile phones and ebay?
it is good and i am sure you will see an improvement!
every time i go on there, i notice more and more takeaways that i did not know existed!
and as for not taking cards, do they not take care of that?
can you not blag a free trial period?

Last edited:
I don't use takeaways that aren't on just eat anymore, I don't tend to keep cash at home so it's ideal for me to pay by card, I can't see anyone taking any notice of advertisements on their site if you can't order from them, well I wouldn't anyway, I'd just order from another place

You should get your business listed on there, seems to be the way forward, also there's always hungry house if they offer a better deal

but its how they operate jo?
bite the bullet and go forth!
i am sure you will benefit from it, its a good service!
ultimately its your decision, but were you like this about the internet, mobile phones and ebay?
it is good and i am sure you will see an improvement!
every time i go on there, i notice more and more takeaways that i did not know existed!
and as for not taking cards, do they not take care of that?
can you not blag a free trial period?

Wish it was this easy Chez, my place can get busy on the weekends, it would be difficult to manage with an extra device firing out orders!

I don't use takeaways that aren't on just eat anymore, I don't tend to keep cash at home so it's ideal for me to pay by card, I can't see anyone taking any notice of advertisements on their site if you can't order from them, well I wouldn't anyway, I'd just order from another place

You should get your business listed on there, seems to be the way forward, also there's always hungry house if they offer a better deal

This is what I'm worried about, I may be paying for something that's not beneficial to me, as I won't offer the service the Just Eat site offers, some head scratching is required... thanks for your reply.