Volks AutosBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oranoco

Thread: Speed camera question.

1st Gear

Status

Speed camera question.

Hi all,

I was on my way to work yesterday and not sure if I have been caught by a speed camera or not.

I was coming over a flyover In a 30mph zone. Im not 100% sure what speed I was doing I think 38. as soon as I saw it I slowed down to 30 in a matter of seconds.

It was a police officer sat it his Volvo traffic cop car with his window open pointing a handheld radar gun up the flyover.

My question is, can I be prosecuted through the post or does the officer have to pull me over at the time to procecute?

I have read many mixed answers online stating radar guns only detect sped and not take a photo but I would like to know for sure? .

And the end of the dy I know I should have been concentrating on my speed so I hold my hands up.

Any help would be great guys?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    as far as I am aware, the police man should have pulled you over, but I know up here the radar guns they are using have a built ANPR system. but I think you will be okay.

2nd Gear

Status
    Ive never seen a radar gun being used. I thought that was something of that passed. I thought that any mobile speed cameras have to be in those vans with a speed camera sign on the back. And in an area with prior camera warnings.

Im pretty certain that you can not just receive a letter in the post from this incident, he would have to pull you over. If you did, you could certainly challenge it, because there would be no picture etc?

He was probably waiting for someone to go past at 60 and follow them
    Ice Silver Audi S3 (8P3) https://www.facebook.com/benjamin.n.long

5th Gear

Status
    The chances are you seen him and managed to get your speed down before he managed to lock the radar on to you and even then I would think they would take 2 readings just to make sure but I could be wrong.

Anyway if its a mobile radar trap with the copper sitting in his car using the radar gun out the window then I would say he has to pull you over and issue you a NIP at the side of the road.
    S3 1.8t Ming blue with ivory leather & 18"tt alloys

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    He could pull you over there and then, or send you a letter, either would be valid. The reality is he would have stopped you there and then if he was going to, and was probably waiting for someone at 40mph+ (bear in mind 38 is probably 35ish in real life). I genuinely wouldn't worry.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for all the replays guys, just got to keep my fingers crossed now and hope for the best! . How long do they usually take, 14 days?

6th Gear

Status
    I got flashed on the Monday, had the notification on the Wednesday morning. They waited 27 years to get me, so they weren't going to delay. I sent it back admitting liability but await an invitation to a safe drivers course.
    Live your life as if nobody is watching you.

6th Gear

Status
    I know this isnt kind of relevant but i am thinking of getting a Pogo Alert Plus.
    Pogo Alert Plus - Laser speed camera detector, Pogoalert +, Pogo Alert +
    Has anybody here got one and recommend it ?
    It might just save some points from my licence.
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.
    ***Audi's In The Park***The Biggest Audi Event In Europe 10th August 2014*** http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audis-park-aitp-2014/221933-audis-park-2014-show-10th-august-billing-aquadrome.html
    Reputation given for the best answer.

1st Gear

Status
    That's not to bad then StateOfPlay haha. So I will just keep waiting, a friend of mine said if haven't received anything writhing 14 days I should be ok, is this true?

Audi Dynamic - this system looks great but I'd only fear I would relly on it too much haha,

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    Don't mean to take over the thread here...can a speed camera capture you from the opposite side of the road i.e. facing towards you?

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4_MaJiK View Post
    Don't mean to take over the thread here...can a speed camera capture you from the opposite side of the road i.e. facing towards you?
    A GATSO can't
    Last edited by Ben S3 8P3; 9th April 2013 at 17:02.
    Ice Silver Audi S3 (8P3) https://www.facebook.com/benjamin.n.long

Neutral

Status

Reverse Gear

Status
    Truvelo cameras catch you as you're travelling towards them.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by bobededog View Post
    Truvelo cameras catch you as you're travelling towards them.
    Aren't these set up on YOUR side of the road though?

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sorry, yes

6th Gear

Status
    Truvello cameras catch you going towards them and Gatsos once you go past. Neither have type approval to work the other way so you should not get done.

The 14 day rule is for the issue of the NIP not for you to have received it. Most Scamera Partnerships move very quickly issuing the NIPS though. If you had 38 on the clocks chances are you were far nearer 34-35mph which would be inside most partnerships 10% +2mph guidelines.
    A4_MaJiK likes this.

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

Neutral

Status
    Hi,
    Radar speed detection systems, which are a bit old hat now, require the operator to take 3 consecutive seconds of speed, and record them, (for example...36mph, 35mph, 34mph (as the car begins to slow)), they could then stop you and book you. they can record your details and NIP, but this is not usual. These days, the laser speed detection devices are the most common. They don't need 3 seconds of readings, and as such are easier to use, but the operator must be accurate, or an error message will show, and the operator will have to aim and pull the trigger again. When this happens, the chances are, the offending vehicle will have had the opportunity to rub a bit of speed off. On top of this, most officers will have a speed limit in their mind, below which, they won't stop you. On most 30's for example, I wouldn't have stopped people for less than 42, howaver, outside schools at kicking out time I would book at 37.

It is far easier to pull someone over, and deal with the mater at the time than to NIP, so it seems that from what you have said, you were not going fast enough to cause the guy to come after you.

6th Gear

Status
    Knew this would come up ! Was about to post it myself but last time somebody asked something on here about speeding the thread got locked because i posted it hahah !! That thing fooled me for 6 Points !
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.
    ***Audi's In The Park***The Biggest Audi Event In Europe 10th August 2014*** http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audis-park-aitp-2014/221933-audis-park-2014-show-10th-august-billing-aquadrome.html
    Reputation given for the best answer.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    I remember listening on the radio about the Midlands speed cameras are all due to be switched off to save money, just confirmed it with a google search. What a stupid bit of information to release to the public!

Anyone want to test them out?

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400