socket set - advice please

batty

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a good web-site for a decent 3/8" drive socket set. I won't be using it full-time, but would like a reasonable quality and am looking to pay up to 100 quid.

After having my finger's burnt buying a "Professional" set from Machine Mart, which looked and felt like a cheap chinese sunday-market special (cost me 48 quid plus 9 quid for sending it back), I've decided to buy on recommendation rather than put trust in some dodgy brochure descriptions.

Thanks

ive got the halfrauds large set it covers all 3/8-1/4-1/2 inch and has all sorts of extras in it. It is very good and good quality all for 150 quid. Sometimes they are on offer at around 100 quid used mine loads on the car no problems.

[ QUOTE ]
ive got the halfrauds large set it covers all 3/8-1/4-1/2 inch and has all sorts of extras in it. It is very good and good quality all for 150 quid. Sometimes they are on offer at around 100 quid used mine loads on the car no problems.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hate to agree but halfrauds own brand are good quality and guaranteed
for life! and at a reasonable price!!!

Yeah.. they are all correct... Halfords won the Top DIY Mechanics tools in the Auto Express.. can't remember if it was Twice or Three times....

Halfords, definately - my set is three years old, still all good..

Dont forget they do the same offer as Snap-On - the top Halfords sets are guaranteed for life.. just dont laminate your reciept like i did, ready to to rivet into the box lid.. its thermal.. oops!

Sometimes they do three for two offers: I bought the large set (£150) and two sets of rachet spanners at about £45 each, same range, and got it all for £190

my 1/2 in set is the big Draper one.

Its been great for the few outings its had and it was not expensive at all.

Ive heard good things about the Halfords kit.

I use the halfords stuff too... They are excellent quality and i've used mine LOTS!...still as good as new!

Rich

got a mixed set of TENG and britool. Again, lifetime warranty, but never broken any of it yet.....(yet)....

i got my stuff before halfords did their 'professional' range, which i'd probably save money and buy now - especially if they have a lifetime warranty.

i use snap on for work.... but for home i have teng gear....its pretty good stuff...... not to expensive either... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

i got snap on stuff at work and find it crap.

ive replaced most of it.

only thing i do like is the big f off chrome spanners upto 36mm but they dont come out often.

personal choice for home with spanners/tools etc is Facom.

work colleagues have Gedore.

id rather have it over snapon.

id have no problem spending money on it.

Again - Halfords here. I do have a selection of Snap-on, Britool and Sykes Pickevant that I'd purchased prior to the Halfords range being released.

Top marks to Halfords though with only the 3/4" ratchet giving up onme after about 2 years of abuse. Exchanged under warrenty though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I wasnt jumping up and down on it honest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I thought snap on was over priced and overrated...until I tried it....Ive not looked back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif
hey I know they're a bit on the expensive side...just get an account with the dealer then its £20 a week for the rest of ya life! Ive used and abused the tools and not had one break yet.
I undid a CV joint wheel nut on my last car using a 1/2 drive ratchet handle and a 2m piece of scaffold with jumping on it!! Now thats PROPER /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif abuse! Did them up that way aswell the torque wrench didnt go up to 130ftlbs!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif