Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

How much will the snow cost me...? :(

So I was driving to cheshire oaks audi for a service this morning when a huge piece of ice/snow flew off of a lorry travelling in the opposite direction and did this. I'm absoloutly gutted
    snow.jpg
    Hard to see on the pic but it's not just a simple replace the windscreen job, the roof in line with the rear view mirror is all out of line and slightly caved in an inch or so.

Anyway I'm not going through insurance because third party just kept driving and by the time i stopped lorry had gone, aswell as the other 10 or so cars that saw everything including me swerving but just went round and carried on??!

Anyone got a rough idea how much it will cost in a bodyshop?
    Last edited by Rum Lad; 25th March 2013 at 17:52.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Oh boy, that's a bad 'un. So sorry it's happened.

Why no insurance claim?
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    Oh boy, that's a bad 'un. So sorry it's happened.

Why no insurance claim?
    Cheers, but my excess is £500 with no protected no claims, I just think in the long run it will work out cheaper. Don't want to lose my no claims plus have no thrid party or witnesses. I doubt the lorry driver even knew what happened.

6th Gear

Status
    I wonder if those black view dash cams would have picked up his plate or sign writing? Bit late, but im currently using the cheepo iphone version in my screen at the mo. I think its bad that people havent taken a few minutes to clean there vehicles of snow before driving, its damn right reckless to cause hazards like this when it only takes a few mins to de snow.
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

I want your faulty electronics

Status

Re: How much will the snow cost me...? :(

Quote Originally Posted by @udi A3 View Post
    I wonder if those black view dash cams would have picked up his plate or sign writing? Bit late, but im currently using the cheepo iphone version in my screen at the mo. I think its bad that people havent taken a few minutes to clean there vehicles of snow before driving, its damn right reckless to cause hazards like this when it only takes a few mins to de snow.
    A good high quality video cam like the black vue dg380+ would help, being 720 you can zoom in a bit.

Might be a bit of random but if you mention it to the police can't they look for CCTV or something?
    I thought not clearing ice/snow was an offence?

New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

James

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by @udi A3 View Post
    I've got a BlackVue cam and I caught someone losing a roof load of snow on the motorway this morning. Luckily the car behind wasn't following close enough for it to land on them (they still had to briefly slam on the anchors) otherwise it could have been a disaster - they must have been doing about 80ish.

CLEAR YOUR CARS PEOPLE! I hate seeing people driving around with loads of snow on their car, it's just lazy and dangerous.

I feel bad for you OP. Hopefully it just looks worse that it is (smashed windscreens never look pretty!). I can't believe it damaged the roof too!? Must have been more ice than snow.

I hope you get it sorted soon (and it doesn't cost you too much!).

6th Gear

Status
    Do lorry drivers climb onto the roofs to clear the snow?
    Live your life as if nobody is watching you.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfPlay View Post
    I think they should.

Every lorry park, weigh station I've been to had ladders or ways for the drivers to get to the top of the truck.
    So no reason why not.

5th Gear

Status
    Fortunately up here they are a bit more savvy when it comes to snow and ice...but seen some right pillocks driving in Germany earlier this month with literally a post box space in their front windscreen....some people just have no respect for other car drivers and very selfish! Never seen damage like that done by falling ice....it looks expensive am afraid!

Good Luck,
    A

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by StateOfPlay View Post
    A randomly selected stobart trailer dimension:

Internal width - 2.48m
    Internal length - 13.60m

Thats aprox 33 square meters internally. With 10cm of snow on top thats potentially another 3.3 tonnes of weight on the trailer. Assuming trailers are loaded to max capacity, its reasonable to assume all those lorries pulling loaded trailers covered in snow are potentially over the weight for those trailers? Over weight trailer drivers are probably the same responsible for under inflated tyres that burst frequently, and those that do 50+ on a single carriage way.

Indecently i saw at least 3 lorries today dropping snow, and i saw at least twice as many eddie's and the eddie's were not dropping snow!

Also whoever thought it was funny to sit behind me today in a 50mph dual carriage way, 3 foot from my tailgate, flashing me to get past, I hope my smokey-foot-to-floor choked you as the limit went back up to 70! I hope you cleared snow off your trailer, and I really hope you dont shed a tyre next time you try speeding through my village.
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

Lead boot

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rum Lad View Post
    So I was driving to cheshire oaks audi for a service this morning when a huge piece of ice/snow flew off of a lorry travelling in the opposite direction and did this. I'm absoloutly gutted
    snow.jpg
    Hard to see on the pic but it's not just a simple replace the windscreen job, the roof in line with the rear view mirror is all out of line and slightly caved in an inch or so.
    Holy cr** you were lucky, it could have been a lot worse than just your damaged car! Sorry to see a nice car ruined, but glad to see you were safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameze View Post
    CLEAR YOUR CARS PEOPLE! I hate seeing people driving around with loads of snow on their car, it's just lazy and dangerous.
    Agreed...If the police pull you over with snow on your roof, you are in serious doo doo...The reason lies above!!
    (59) 2.0T A4 S-Line Avant (B8) Lava Grey
    (N) 2.6 V6 Audi Convertible Europa Blue
    Gone: (02) 1.8T A4 sport saloon (B6) Denim Blue

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    so when a lorry is resting say over night say in a layby etc
    how is he gona clear the snow from the trailer ?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    Thats upto him to figure out tbh. If he cant clear it, dont drive it.

6th Gear

Status

Status

Climb on top and clear it.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    id like to see you do it
    not easy

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    yeah i know that iv read it
    but try geting up there and clearing one

Status

id like to see you do it
    not easy
    Climbing on to a lorry?

Done it.
    Also cleaned them and pissed of Suzie hoses when they are frozen.

EDIT:=- OK never cleaned the top of a trailer unit of snow but climbed up on to one.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
    Climbing on to a lorry?

Done it.
    Also cleaned them and pissed of Suzie hoses when they are frozen.

EDIT:=- OK never cleaned the top of a trailer unit of snow but climbed up on to one.
    feel free to pop over to the sheffield parkway and do the 1 im iseing tmoro
    oh bring some ladders as they its got none fitted

Status

feel free to pop over to the sheffield parkway and do the 1 im iseing tmoro
    oh bring some ladders as they its got none fitted
    I'm up for a challenge but a shame its to far away or I would have.

I miss trucks

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    i dont miss them much

Status

i dont miss them much
    I do but it was a father thing, not work related for me.
    Massive play ground or UK adventure.

OP, good luck and I hope they don't right it off.

2nd Gear

Status
    I reckon around £700 all in will get you right again! Windscreen usualy around£200 but getting that roof right would be around £500 max £700
    2004 audi a4 s line 1.8t bex 242bhp dynoed
    Mods: bsr optiflow kit, forge diverter valve, custom turbo back exhaust, custom 200 cell cat, DGR coilovers, forge tip, s3/tt 386cc injectors, boost gauge, revo stage 2, 12mm rear spacers, rear window extension spoiler
    To come: big brake setup... Getting there!!
    boats and hoesss, boats and hoesss

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    So sorry to see this mate, i really winds me up and on the motorway on Saturday, i did the wifes head in as I moaned about the amount of people that literally got into their cars, did their wipers and drove off, it was downright dangerous!!!

I guess it will only hit home when it happens to them.

I remember years ago, me and my bro were on the motorway behind a van that dropped a roof load of snow onto our windscreen and I can honestly that was probably one of the scariest few seconds of our lives!!!

As it happens on the way home today a woman in her corsa had to brake suddenly on a main road and the 4 inches of snow on the roof of her car sled forward and literally covered her windscreen, her wipers couldnt handle it and the road literally came to a standstill in peak time traffic, stupid tw4t!!!

Luckily no damage was done, but lets hope she learnt her lesson and any others that see it do too.

I would rather get to work late.....than not at all, if it means cleaning the cars properly in the morning.

Rant over and hope you get the car sorted mate.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    yeah my dad was into it for 40 year
    good fun in the holidays when he took me with him.
    not the same now i cant take my son and dont really think i would with the roads as they are these days,

James

Status
    They should install these at lorry parks down the motorway...

Scrape the snow off the trailers!

6th Gear

Status
    Ok bez i understand climbing on your trailer is not easy, but there should be provisions for this in place.

I saw another good one today, a wide load, didnt have extra markers so i guess it wasnt that wide, but it over hung both white lines a good 1-2 foot, not happy sitting in the crawler lane taking up part of the middle lane, it over took a lorry on the moterway, which took about 5 miles to complete, overhanging the outside lane.

Then, if things couldnt get any worse, it overtook another wide load swiging into the outside lane and nearly took a 106 out with it!

This was on the M18 in high winds towards goole.

I really need a black veiw... but i also need some other more interesting gadgets

Neutral

Status
    Cheers guys.
    Surely the proof for how dangerous it can be is above. Maybe if it was a lesser car it might have gone through the windscreen and who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/members/52198/scottb5.html"
    ScottB5[/URL]]Might be a bit of random but if you mention it to the police can't they look for CCTV or something?
    I thought not clearing ice/snow was an offence?
    Ye already contacted them nothing they can do really, with no witnesses or third party, and they said no cctv on that road.

Quote Originally Posted by Andie0 View Post
    I reckon around £700 all in will get you right again! Windscreen usualy around£200 but getting that roof right would be around £500 max £700
    Cheers matet, i hope that is all it will cost. I was thinking around the 2k mark

Neutral

Status
    Cheers guys.
    Surely the proof for how dangerous it can be is above. Maybe if it was a lesser car it might have gone through the windscreen and who knows.

Ye already contacted them nothing they can do really, with no witnesses or third party, and they said no cctv on that road.

Cheers matet, i hope that is all it will cost. I was thinking around the 2k mark
    Yeah the police are f'in useless in situations like this and they don't even try and help.

Sorry to see this though mate, looks like it was a nice S3 before. I'd settle through insurance though, despite your high excess it will still be lower than what it will cost to fix this. The bulk of the claim will obviously be fixing that roof

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilz View Post
    So sorry to see this mate, i really winds me up and on the motorway on Saturday, i did the wifes head in as I moaned about the amount of people that literally got into their cars, did their wipers and drove off, it was downright dangerous!!!

I guess it will only hit home when it happens to them.

I remember years ago, me and my bro were on the motorway behind a van that dropped a roof load of snow onto our windscreen and I can honestly that was probably one of the scariest few seconds of our lives!!!

As it happens on the way home today a woman in her corsa had to brake suddenly on a main road and the 4 inches of snow on the roof of her car sled forward and literally covered her windscreen, her wipers couldnt handle it and the road literally came to a standstill in peak time traffic, stupid tw4t!!!

Luckily no damage was done, but lets hope she learnt her lesson and any others that see it do too.

I would rather get to work late.....than not at all, if it means cleaning the cars properly in the morning.

Rant over and hope you get the car sorted mate.
    100% Agree with everything you just said.

Most drivers these days are just braindead thick tw4ts.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie0 View Post
    i'd be doing the screen on insurance, should only be £50/75
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

5th Gear

Status
    Anyway I'm not going through insurance because third party just kept driving and by the time i stopped lorry had gone, aswell as the other 10 or so cars that saw everything including me swerving but just went round and carried on??!
    why did you stop? i'd have followed the lorry and made him stop
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

4th Gear

Status

How much will the snow cost me...? :(

He was probably in shock. Plus how difficult vision maybe as we'll. And travelling wrong way by the sound of it
    Dolphin Grey 2005 3.2fsi Quattro 6-speed manual A4 Avant S-line, Two tone Leather, Pipercross panel filter, Genuine RS6 style 18" Alloys, Cupra R Lip, Piranha Grooved and dimpled Brakes, Eibach 30mm springs, B5 Front Cups, Rs4 RARB, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Engine covers, Rs4 Grill, Rs4 style fog grills, Lamin-x'd head, fog and tail lights, Adaptive Xenons, Q5 rear wiper, S4 spring clips, Heated Passat Washer jets, DIS and cruise control

Now have genuine VCDS in North Norfolk

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Nova View Post
    why did you stop? i'd have followed the lorry and made him stop
    Not as easy as that lad. He was travelling the other way so by the time i'd swerved off the road and stopped he was out of sight coupled with the fact that you can't see **** all out of that windscreen could hardly follow him.

Not just as simple as getting windscreen replaced either because the roof is all caved in which needs fixing first.

To be honest I'm thinking about getting rid of the car all together and upgrading. Not sure

6th Gear

Status
    I know it isnt ideal, but could you replace the screen on insurance, and push the roof up a bit to make it fit? It means the roof will need fixing later, but might get you back on the road for now?

I had a bonnet blow up on a 205 a few years back that took the sun roof and roof and screen out, i litrally hammered the roof about untill it all fitted again as the repair was so expensive for the roof. Drove around for ages like that!