Speeding

StateOfPlay

Reaction score
Monday was cold, I was on the road at 6.30am so not awake and got flashed by a fixed camera that I knew was there. Muppet.

Wednesday I got my letter.

Fackers must have been waiting for me, couldn't wait to get the letter out.

80mph in a 70mph dual carriageway.

Will take the driving course thing if it is offered.

******! I think the speed awareness course is only offered to 40 in a 30 offenders. I went on the course and the instructer said most people get caught on their own patch because they just go into auto-pilot, not really thinking about their surroundings.

It depends on your local force. 80 in a 70 is within the speed parameters, so hopfully you'll be ok.

yeh @ local force
i did 40 in a 30 a couple of years ago and i got 3 points and a fine... I wanted the course regardless but they dont offer it here.

It depends on your local force. 80 in a 70 is within the speed parameters, so hopfully you'll be ok.

I was always under the impression that it was 10% grace ie. 77mph. My friend's wife has just been done for 35mph in a 30 zone. If she was doing 33mph she might have got away with it.

OP, I could be nice here but I'm not going to be. Doing 80mph while you're tired and on auto-pilot isn't cool. Screw the speed limits, if you're not aware of your surroundings then 80mph isn't a speed you should have been doing. A friend of mine is a copper and he crashed while asleep at the wheel after back-to-back nightshifts at work. Totally wrecked his mint 1.9 205GTi and was so lucky to walk away. I used to do 50k miles a year up and down the country and consistently saw this 'auto-pilot', coffee-drinking, yawning, bad driver craze that seems to be taking over. When I'm in the car, I'm switched on and make a point of driving to the best of my ability at all times because I couldn't deal with crashing into someone, running a kid over or just wrecking my car.

Take the points and fine, live with them for 3 years and the increased insurance costs and make sure you never do it again. A driving course is showing that you're a bad driver and shouldn't have passed your test. If you're a good driver and made a mistake then take the points. Insurance companies shouldn't touch people that choose the driving course.

a6645c5ff75552bd56fc592bfb4508f4_zpsd68c3777.jpg

c04b00bf193b5b056615c57091440823_zpsf135d68f.jpg

c5b04312a48419ee34c80ef1235c88ed_zps96959d80.jpg

1a91913fc5b58f9cd380c0e13f0725b6_zpse2e3b883.jpg

Most partnerships operate a 10% +2mph policy, but this is not legislation. Technically 31mph in a 30mph limit is speeding and 3 points could rightly be issued.

However, if you this is your only lot of points and it's speeding it is very unlikely to raise your insurance cost. I got caught doing significantly more than 10% over the limit and my insurance went up by £0 on both my policy and as a named driver on my missus policy. Get a CU80 or a TS10 or any DD or IN codes and your premium will rocket. One bout of speeding doesn't seem to cause insurers much concern.

My offence took place in Hertfordshire and you can get a speed awareness course for up to 87mph in a 70mph limit. I have been driving for 27 years and this is my first speeding fine. I was overtaking a transit van on an otherwise empty dual carriageway and a black Merc came up fast and I was struggling to overtake the Van so I increased my speed to pull back in and that's when I got caught. I know the camera is there, it was a familiar route. I let myself get hurried by a **** in a Merc, and that has annoyed me more than the fine. The only saving grace was that he got flashed as well and I hope he is on 9 points.

My fault, I will take the blame. And I am getting a company car again next week so will be selling the Audi and not worried about the insurance.

Audi for sale! Good motor, never RACED or RALLIED Mwaaaahhh

Nah, love the forum, not able to choose my car as it is short notice so I don't know what I will be given, but next year will be able to and it will def be an Audi. I am a convert. I have done 20000 miles this last year, and each and every mile has been sweet as in a beauty of a motor.

My offence took place in Hertfordshire and you can get a speed awareness course for up to 87mph in a 70mph limit.

2 friends got caught in Herts too, one at 39 in a 30 the other at 47 in a 40. Both were offered a speed awareness course. The latter one was very funny as he was on the way to a meeting with the police when he got caught.

If its a first time offence your highly likely to get a course for that

I was always under the impression that it was 10% grace ie. 77mph. My friend's wife has just been done for 35mph in a 30 zone. If she was doing 33mph she might have got away with it.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't very clear. You're correct in saying the 10% + 2mph thing (ACPO guidelines) is the speed where action is taken. My comment about 80mph being within parameters was meant to be eligible for a speed awareness course.

I know of a TVR Tuscan who's owner tested the cameras on the 414 near Harlow (well its near herts and thats where you all posting from !) He was followed by a fool who got tickets on both cameras, the tuscan got one for the first and was doing 176 according to gps on the second, he didnt get the ticket on the second. More white lines needed?!

On the 10%+2mph thing, isnt this in place to allow for the speed capturing device tolerances? I have a friend who works with lasers as he runs his own building firm. He successfully challenged the way the lasers were calibrated and was let off a speeding ticket of over 100 mph.

I also spoke recently to an 'intercepter', he was happily chatting away about another force capturing him at 90mph when only doing 77. He told of the way they actually aimed the gun would knock the reading out significantly and that they hadn't followed certain procedures in setting up. Obviously he didnt disclose details, but it sounded like incompetence on the trappers part could have led to a few tickets not deserved.

I have been offered a speed awareness course, so I will take that and listen to the advice they give about avoiding getting caught.