Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
Results 1 to 29 of 29
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By johnnythepie
  • 1 Post By johnnythepie

Thread: VOSA MOT Check - Strange Discepancy

  1. #1
    vag_fan's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13

    VOSA MOT Check - Strange Discepancy

    Hi guys
    Have put a deposit down on an A3 TDi at a local garage. I thought id check the MOT history via VOSA and it came back with the following:



    As you can see, between 2011 and 2012, only 500 miles was recorded. I may be being paranoid, but i suspect something dodgy here? The dealer is doing a full HPI check, but im not sure this will reveal the whole truth.

    What actions can i take here?

    Cheers!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Mr-C's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Chorley
    Posts
    163
    Could be a perfectly good explanation or it could have been clocked. Have you run the reg number past Audi to see if they have had it in at any point in that period?

    Worst case.:
    If its been clocked properly and the owner at the time has not had it in to a dealer ship or the mileage is not recorded somewhere (Fuel card) then you'll never know any different

    Best case:
    Its just hardly been used that year.

    Is the last registsred keeper private or company? Leased or not?

  4. #3
    vag_fan's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-C View Post
    Could be a perfectly good explanation or it could have been clocked. Have you run the reg number past Audi to see if they have had it in at any point in that period?

    Worst case.:
    If its been clocked properly and the owner at the time has not had it in to a dealer ship or the mileage is not recorded somewhere (Fuel card) then you'll never know any different

    Best case:
    Its just hardly been used that year.

    Is the last registsred keeper private or company? Leased or not?
    I have emailed Audi asking them for everything they know about the vehicle, just waiting on there reply.

    Im not sure about the last registered keeper just yet, although i know it was given to the dealer in a PX deal - which makes me think it was a private owner

  5. #4
    Mr-C's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Chorley
    Posts
    163
    I would go to the dealers and looks at the V5 to see if private/leased/company also go through the owners pack to see if its been in to anywhere like Kwikfit, just maybe something to give you a lead.

    If its private use the address to call a few garages in with a few mile radius to see if they have had it in at all.

    Problem is these Audi do wear very well, mines done over 100k and if it was clocked back to 40 you would not question the interior

  6. #5
    vag_fan's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-C View Post
    I would go to the dealers and looks at the V5 to see if private/leased/company also go through the owners pack to see if its been in to anywhere like Kwikfit, just maybe something to give you a lead.

    If its private use the address to call a few garages in with a few mile radius to see if they have had it in at all.

    Problem is these Audi do wear very well, mines done over 100k and if it was clocked back to 40 you would not question the interior
    I do have all of the mot stations details via googleing their names, but im not sure of what exactly i can ask them?

    Would it be a case of saying the car was in for an MOT in 2012, but the MOT prior to that was at a different station and there is only 500 miles between the two?

    Not sure how i can go about investigating this!

    Yeah that's what worries me, this could have been to the moon and back if its had dodgy owners, don't want to fork out for a cabbage

  7. #6
    James TQ's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    546
    they say the steering wheel and gearstick start to show ware at around 80k but dont go buy the car if your unsure as it may come around to bite you in the future

  8. #7
    Mr-C's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Chorley
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by vag_fan View Post
    I do have all of the mot stations details via googleing their names, but im not sure of what exactly i can ask them?

    Would it be a case of saying the car was in for an MOT in 2012, but the MOT prior to that was at a different station and there is only 500 miles between the two?

    Not sure how i can go about investigating this!

    Yeah that's what worries me, this could have been to the moon and back if its had dodgy owners, don't want to fork out for a cabbage
    I dont mean MOT garages, I mean just a local garage that may have done a service or changed pads. Just ring up and ask if they have ever had reg no ******* and if they recorded the miles

  9. #8
    vag_fan's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13
    Thanks for the help chaps, the garage is going to run a full hpi for me so I will pursue further once I'm armed with more info. Audi last seen it in 2009 so not much use to me

  10. #9
    johnnythepie's Avatar
    handcrankywannkyspanky

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    2,174
    If youre worried about it before buying it, just wait till youve bought it and it hiccups.Best leave it mate.
    vag_fan likes this.
    Pass me my sock

    Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

  11. #10
    russwuss's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    367
    looks like it may have been clocked if you ask me....if you put in the area code of the two phone numbers listed on the MOT Garages it's Gainsborough and Romford 153 miles apart...

  12. #11
    russwuss's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    367
    Sorry just read through the MOT in a bit more detail.. one of the issues raised is the same, is there no PASS record after the first MOT shown on the screenshot.. that could indicate the car was off the road (as it didn't have a valid MOT)

  13. #12
    Mr-C's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Chorley
    Posts
    163
    Also could have been a typo by the MOT tester.

  14. #13
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    83
    Ive seen many cars sit on traders forecourts for year after year, I bought a Saab 900 Convertible last year from a trader who had owned the car for 3 years and just threw it in for an MOT every year, it had done 100 miles in the first year, 400 the second and 12 the third year.

    the trader had it priced wayy to high, i bought it because i got it at mates rates but it raised concern when i tried to sell it.

  15. #14
    James TQ's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    546
    Isn't there a bit in the a3 stickies hip mileage flaw beware? Take a browse at that

  16. #15
    vag_fan's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by russwuss View Post
    Sorry just read through the MOT in a bit more detail.. one of the issues raised is the same, is there no PASS record after the first MOT shown on the screenshot.. that could indicate the car was off the road (as it didn't have a valid MOT)
    Good discovery mate, this seems like a legitimate scenario. Ill see what the hpi check digs up too before I make any judgement.

  17. #16
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    RETFORD, NOTTS
    Posts
    1,707
    I was going to post the same, the failure on a bush on 2011 is still there in 2012. If there is a pass, something fishy is going on, if there is not pass it could be that it was kept off the road.
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

  18. #17
    johnnythepie's Avatar
    handcrankywannkyspanky

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    2,174
    might be worth contacting dvla for a sorn enquiry.if its been off the road it wont be taxed
    Pass me my sock

    Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

  19. #18
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    East Kilbride
    Posts
    291
    can't you get it scanned and double check the "hidden" ECU mileage???

    i *think* that is one that doesn't get 'clocked' even if someone takes a few miles off the car.... I may be wrong though.....


    :thumb:

  20. #19
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    N. Wales, LL22
    Posts
    1,224
    after the first fail did it ever pass?
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

  21. #20
    vag_fan's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Nova View Post
    after the first fail did it ever pass?
    Yeah, the realisation has just hit me There was no pass between these two dates indicating that it should have been off the road which explains the 500 miles between them. Although they seem like an illegal 500 miles which shouldnt have occured, i think it means the car mileage is genuine. Non the less, i have emailed VOSA to dig a little deeper!

    Thanks for all the input chaps, greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by vag_fan; 15th March 2013 at 09:05.

  22. #21
    shariain's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,170

    VOSA MOT Check - Strange Discepancy

    It could have been sitting on a dealers forecourt for some time then moved to another dealer before you seen it. I have seen this quite recently with small independent dealers it just makes there stock rotate and makes them look busy with a good sales.

    I went to see a r32 that was in a Indy dealer for over 6months nice looking car in pictures but over priced and had been re-spayed on the front end and had lots of over spray all over it so I walked away then when I bought my 3.2 the same r32 was sitting in the garage. I was shown it and when I said I had went to see it at xyz garage about 8 months ago that was it just moved on to the a3 3.2.

    As said get it scanned as the mileage is recorded on the engine ecu and I don't think that can be changed.
    S3 1.8t Ming blue with ivory leather & 18"tt alloys

  23. #22
    riggssuzuki's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Elgin, Scotland
    Posts
    439
    When it comes to cars i personally walk away of there is even the slightest suggestion that there is something dodgy. Plenty more fish in the sea so to speak.


    2011 A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Dynamik. IBIS White.

  24. #23
    vag_fan's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by shariain View Post
    It could have been sitting on a dealers forecourt for some time then moved to another dealer before you seen it. I have seen this quite recently with small independent dealers it just makes there stock rotate and makes them look busy with a good sales.

    I went to see a r32 that was in a Indy dealer for over 6months nice looking car in pictures but over priced and had been re-spayed on the front end and had lots of over spray all over it so I walked away then when I bought my 3.2 the same r32 was sitting in the garage. I was shown it and when I said I had went to see it at xyz garage about 8 months ago that was it just moved on to the a3 3.2.

    As said get it scanned as the mileage is recorded on the engine ecu and I don't think that can be changed.
    I think this is more than likely the situation.

    The distance is 150 miles between the two MOT stations as russwuss pointed out, so it seems they might have kept the car for a while after the MOT failed and then passed it onto another dealer before it passed.

    On another note, i wish it was a 3.2 V6 i was shopping for!!

  25. #24
    johnnythepie's Avatar
    handcrankywannkyspanky

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    2,174
    Quote Originally Posted by riggssuzuki View Post
    When it comes to cars i personally walk away of there is even the slightest suggestion that there is something dodgy. Plenty more fish in the sea so to speak.
    Quite. WAY too many issues most of which being explained away theoretically.DODGE IT
    vag_fan likes this.
    Pass me my sock

    Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

  26. #25
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    East Kilbride
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by shariain View Post
    It could have been sitting on a dealers forecourt for some time then moved to another dealer before you seen it. I have seen this quite recently with small independent dealers it just makes there stock rotate and makes them look busy with a good sales.

    I went to see a r32 that was in a Indy dealer for over 6months nice looking car in pictures but over priced and had been re-spayed on the front end and had lots of over spray all over it so I walked away then when I bought my 3.2 the same r32 was sitting in the garage. I was shown it and when I said I had went to see it at xyz garage about 8 months ago that was it just moved on to the a3 3.2.

    As said get it scanned as the mileage is recorded on the engine ecu and I don't think that can be changed.
    Is this the blue R32 now in the VW garage in Rutherglen by any chance?

    SF06 VMP???

    cheers

  27. #26
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    N. Wales, LL22
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by the_cueball View Post
    Is this the blue R32 now in the VW garage in Rutherglen by any chance?

    SF06 VMP???

    cheers
    ready for any future searches

    SF06 VMP SF06VMP


    2006 (06) Volkswagen Golf 3.2 V6 R32 4MOTION 5dr | Used car for sale - Arnold Clark

    Make VOLKSWAGEN
    Model-Series
    Model GOLF R32
    Year 07-04-2006
    Chassis No. WVWZZZ1KZ6W159757
    Engine No. BUB008762
    Fuel Type PETROL
    Engine Capacity 3200
    Power (KW)
    Power (BHP)
    Transmission
    No. of Gears
    Body Style 5 DOOR HATCHBACK
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

  28. #27
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    East Kilbride
    Posts
    291
    Yeah that's the car I was talking about, wanting to know if that's the one Iain went to see.

    I was going to look at it this weekend... hence why I'm asking, I may as well not bother! lol

  29. #28
    shariain's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,170

    VOSA MOT Check - Strange Discepancy

    No the one I went to see was a silver mkiv r32. But that looks nice. Hope all goes well when you go to see it.
    S3 1.8t Ming blue with ivory leather & 18"tt alloys

  30. #29
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    East Kilbride
    Posts
    291
    ah ok... cheers mate

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. MOT changes 2012 - Chips and DPFs, response from VOSA
    By jrsteeve in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 8th September 2011, 21:21
  2. VOSA MOT HISTORY CHECK
    By AGU-TURBO in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 5th May 2011, 23:50
  3. Audi MOT passed but Free Health Check failed
    By JD09 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 9th September 2010, 10:10
  4. is there a way to check what a car has failed on MOT?
    By rasA4 in forum General Automotive Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14th March 2010, 20:25
  5. MOTS and Vosa
    By Carpy25 in forum Volkswagen and other VAG
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th January 2008, 17:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO