What would you choose?

Scorpio

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,
I'm after a 2nd car which I will use as a fun car, weekends and going on some long trips.

Here are my choices and a brief comment on it:

Alfa GT:
(FOR)Very nice looking car (maybe the nicest of my choice!), Good price, not bad power and not alot of them on the road.
(AGAINST) Not to sure about Alfas reliability and not keen on front wheel drive.

BMW M3:
(FOR) Rave reviews about this car, Decent power and I have always wanted one.
(AGAINST) I used to have a 330ci, many of them on the road and the cars have a stereotype!

AUDI RS6
(FOR) The fact that it can destroy alot of the cars on the road today and has alot of standard options.
(AGAINST) Slightly bigger than what I am after, test drove one and wasnt blown away by its performance which may have been down to the size of the car

NISSAN 350Z
(FOR) not alot of them on the road, decent power, Good Price
(AGAINST) No front fog lights (petty I know!), plasticky interior.

JAGUAR S-Type R
(FOR) Power and test drive was impressive.
(AGAINST) Stereotyped to old men, sometimes I like its looks and sometimes I dont and not a fan of the dashboard (petty again!)

BMW M5:
Test drove and fell head over heals in love with it but far too much money for a car that I wont drive on a regular basis. So RULED IT OUT....

VAUXHALL MONARO:
RULED IT OUT.... (No comment)

EVO AND SCOOBYS:
RULED THEM OUT DUE TO THE BOY RACER IMAGE.. (Sorry to all owners of these cars for the comment but its true)

Let me know what you would choose even if it is not one of my choices above.
I know the majority will say the RS6 being an Audi forum. But please give constructive criticism on the others.

Thanks in advance

I dont think i would get a RS6 for a fun weekend car as its an auto and i am not a big fan of auto's unless on the motorway.

I would maybe get the M3 and if you can stretch to it the CSL version.

I know its a sort of Auto but it will be far more driver-oriented than the RS6.

What about a RS4 or are they gettin too old now?

Cheers

Out of the list, I would go for the M3 or 350Z as a weekend car, as they are both decent to drive, and pretty good on long journeys aswell. RS6 and M5 would be my daily transport, if fuel didn't cost so much.

M3 or 350Z for me.

What about the new R32, this is gonna be better than Car of the year, last year (GTI).

honda s2000 ??? theres one on tyresmoke going for a good price

Depends what you mean by fun car. I guess we're not talking track days judging from your selection. The "long trips" kind of restricts your choice. Personally I feel there's very little scope for fun on UK roads these days, so I'd opt for a Caterham/VX220T/Elise and use the £15k left over to fund a load of track days & tyres. Seems a much better option than having a £25-£30k saloon depreciating on the driveway 5 days a week.
If I had to go down that route I guess I'd go for a chipped RS4 as they are available at about £24k and won't depreciate too much now as there's a restricted number and the price seems to have bottomed out.
Forget the Alfa unless you want to spend your fun weekends under the bonnet.
350z too common these days
Mercs & fun? That's an Oxymoron unless you're talking stupid money

What about a Noble M12?

or TVR?

You can get one with 3-5 years warrantee at the moment I think!

Think my vote is swinging towards the M3 at the mo. I like TVRs but they dont have much in the way of safety (like an airbag!)

Keep em coming..

Thanks

If that list is for your 'spare' car I suggest you go back to the 'ferrari' forum.............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Maybe his main car is a Bentley contental GT or a DB9? Oh how the other half live /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe his main car is a Bentley contental GT or a DB9? Oh how the other half live /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

His main car is a S4. What ever that is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

personally, i'd choose the alfa.

or the rs6... but thats not much of a weekend car.

absolutely the alfa, those things look absolutely gorgeous.

The game changes completely if you can afford a lightweight 911 though...

My main car is not an S4. I do own an S4 which I still own and used as my 2nd car. But I want to change it.

My main car which I use for work purposes to bomb up and down the motorway in is a Golf MK5 GTI which I have found very good. Quite economical aswell for a GTI..

Sorry Scorpio, just following your profile.

And smashing choice of everyday car, so this would then rule out the new S3 and R32. You don't really want another hot hatch.

What about the new porsche cayman?

[ QUOTE ]
My main car is not an S4. I do own an S4 which I still own and used as my 2nd car. But I want to change it.

My main car which I use for work purposes to bomb up and down the motorway in is a Golf MK5 GTI which I have found very good. Quite economical aswell for a GTI..

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent choice of daily run about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Track days hard to beat - get a Westfield.

Have you looked at a Dodge Viper or Maserati or even NSX, I know its Honda but reliable.

I know kit cars may not be in your list, but how about an AC Cobra rep with a Chevy engine. I think you will be impressed, just by the sound of the engine. I would have one of these but not good for a main car.

RS4 fanstic car time to get it upgraded or maybe time for a change. VX220 reported to out do the Elise, but the M12 - what a weekend car.

why not have a poll on which car (can you do polls in this forum...?)

1 AC Cobra (KitCar)
2 Alfa GT
2 Audi RS4
1 Audi RS6
3 BMW M3
1 BMW M5
1 Dodge Viper
1 Honda NSX
1 Honda S2000
Jaguar S-Type R
1 Lotus Elise
1 Maserati