Wear a helmet!

Reaction score
Please please ensure your kids wear a helmet whether it be on a bike, scooter or skateboard!

2 weeks ago I went on my usual business trip to Exeter but because it was half term brought my wife and boys along with me. Cut to the chase, my 3 year old fell off his 3 wheeler Micro scooter on the way to the restaurant in town. He was very distressed and lethargic.

We didn't have the car, but a kind gent saw our predicament and offered us a lift the rest of the way to A&E. We walked the first half because we were advised by the hotel that it was only 15 minutes away. On the way to the hospital he was sick at least 6 times, including once in this guys car! The hospital was amazing and we were seen within minutes of registering. My son kept on going into a sleep made worse by the fact that it was now around 8:30pm. We were initially advised that due to his age and the high levels of radiation he would be subjected to, he shouldn't go for a CT scan. However when they realised just how many times he had been sick, at least three more times in the hospital, we had no choice but to go for the scan. The scariest part was when the doctor advised that he could not see any bumps or bruises, so was concerned it was an internal injury.

I stayed in hospital overnight, where he was subjected to hourly tests which also required us trying to wake him up to check he was compus mentis. He eventually woke up fully at 3am and was the first time I was able to have a proper conversation with him. We were released from hospital just before lunchtime, but the next 48 hours were crucial. Luckily he recovered in that time, but wasn't really himself until at least the Saturday.

As I said above, 2 weeks have passed and he visited the doctors this morning and they've given him the all clear. If he was sick again within this period, he would have had to have gone back to hospital for more checks.

The after effects; well I feel physically sick whenever I see a child on their scooter without a helmet and just writing this brings tears to my eyes particularly while I sit here again in Exeter...a very very scary situation and something I would never want to go through again!

Needless to say, both boys don't just wear their helmets while they are cycling.

Last edited:
Glad to hear he's okay.
I tell my children to always wear a helmet on the bikes but never thought about the scooters,will have to invest in one.

Sorry to hear about your son, but good to know he’s doing well now.

Im so glad that your son is on the road to recovery, i cried while reading that. :) x

thank goodness!
pleased to hear a happy ending!
my 3 year old daughter is mad about her scooter!, and as it happens, we were going to toys r us tomorrow to get her a crash hat!
this cements the journey now!
thanks for the heads up and sharing! :beerchug:

Thanks guys...I just wanted to highlight the fact that helmets are not just for cycling!

Glad he's doing ok now mate, must have been very scary for u all. Will make sure my girls always wear helmets when ok scooters from now. They always do on bikes, which we found to be very important when my youngest's stabiliser gave way and she veered into a tree!! Helmet saved a nasty injury that day!