Advice needed for Separation

Rev-head

Reaction score
Serious subject i know but something that is playing on my mind

In short i separated from my wife three years ago and we left each other on good terms as much as it can be i suppose but i was wondering if any body here has been in the same situation regarding what i am legaly bound to do ......We have never formally separated on paper but my concern is i am i still responsable for looking after her in a sense of her debt ..ie if she gets in the s**t will it land on my lap to pay for it?...is she still in her rights to say that she can half of what i have now?

I was told that after been separated for more than two years both parties lose the right to claim off of each other.not sure if this is true?

Or does anybody now of good website were i can find out all this info

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Not sure about any websites but Citizens Advice Bureau would be my first move. I split with my wife 3yrs ago now aswell and we are on good terms still but are gettin a divorce just to clear things up totally. We had no property to argue over and no joint debts so we just went our seperate ways and I even got custody of my daughter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif.
Although your circumstances are probably different your right to get it sorted mate so you can `move on` without it hanging over your head. Hope you manage to do it on an amicable basis, it makes things so much easier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Personally i would seek advice from a solictor. They will usually spare around 20 minutes free time and would advice you on the best course of action.

I'm divorced and re-married, and completed a transfer of equity of the house back in the 90's, if i knew what i did now, i would have sold the house jointly, then gone for the long seperation-divorce.

Well im off next week ,so visit to solictor sounds like next step for me...just want to make sure that it is not messy affair......in the same position as Dave i have a little girl who means the world to me and we have 50/50 split of her and i would not like to lose out on that

Rev, if the soliciter wants to start gettin `dirty`you don`t have to use one to get a divorce! Just ring up your local court and ask them to send you some divorce papers, they will ask you if there are children involved and send you appropriate forms.
Just realised you are North of the Border so it may be different?
HTH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif