Anyone caught by a speed camera?

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
Ensure you query it, ask for photo.
1. I've had a couple of mates recently who've heard nothing back after querying the NIP
2. At worst it'll totally overload their systems and the cost to them is £30 to process the query so at least they won't make £60 profit from you.

If everyone of the 1.8m drivers done by camera last year queried the NIP then it would bring the whole process to a grinding halt.

Wont they just introduce what they do on the bus lane cameras and give you a code to enter on their website to see the evidence!

or do what camden council do and send u a colour picture of ur u in ur motor! granted it was a buslane fine but i was shocked to see my ugly mug in a pciture taken by a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif bus lane camera!

I've heard this before, they are simply swamped by too much work to deal with all the queries.

Doesn't work over here at all. I know a guy that queried his speeding ticket and when they zoomed into the photo they proved it was him, also he was smoking and texting on his mobile at then same time.
Turned out the car was a company car and they banged a €3000 fine for smoking in the workplace. Then gave him 4 points for dangerous driving.

If only he took the 2 points and paid the €80 fine.

That's a wind up surely, how can your car be classed as the workplace? 2points? that's a bargain, we get 3 points over here so you can only afford to get done once a year.
I doubt you've seen the snowballing of speed camera's over there that we have here. Last year it was 5000 people a day everyday and that was double the figure from 2 years before so next year we will see 10k people a day, that's £220m per year.
Their automated systems can cope with the standard invoice and the DVLA handle the points, but the queries have to be done manually.
It'll be a long time before they can point you at a web site for proof as the London system is relatively new and is managed by one body. Can you see every local council getting kitted up for that sort of efficiency? Down here they can't even manage to get the emergency services using the same comms system. It's just a lot easier to bin the queries and move on to someone who's willing to pay.

I was over in Dublin a while back and I was talking to a taxi driver about the no smoking law, he said that as a taxi driver he is not allowed to smoke in his cab (even when he has no passengers) as it's a work place!

As far as querying the NIP goes I fully agree. After getting caught a while back I'm now alot more clued up and would not give up withoput a fight!

Kev.

Ya the smoking ban here is mental in some cases. The government has colsed business that don't want to enforce the law. A lot of Taxi drivers had to give up because they were getting caught several time over month and had massive fines.

Back to the speeding offence, I heard of another way to dodge the points.

If you are fined £50 then send them a cheque for £51. They will then send you back a cheque for £1 and you simply tear it up and never cash it. On their books it's still an open case and will never be processed and you theoritically should never get the points. Never actually heard of anyone getting away with it.

Anyone ever get that information manual that's advertised in the back of the car mags on how to dodge fines and points?

They did all the supposed dodges on 5th gear a while back (including that one) and apparently that loophole's been closed and in some cases they get really p*ssed off at you.
The only one that works is to claim it was an overseas friend driving at the time or someone recently deceased from the obituraries, but you can only use it once, and you have be very careful as you are perverting the course of justice.
What I don't understand is how the authorities have simply reversed the whole governing premise of our legal system by prosecuting the driver unless he can prove his innocence (by dropping someone else in it).
Guilty until proven innocent! It's a shame they can't do the same for all the scumbags mugging old ladies, but oh no that would be violating their civil rights, what about our civil rights?

No real way of getting away with it, unless you go to court with a decent reason. i.e. Camera was iligally hidden etc...

[ QUOTE ]
No real way of getting away with it, unless you go to court with a decent reason. i.e. Camera was iligally hidden etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

There are however lots of technicalities, which, if not done to the letter of the law with the NIP, you have a good chance of getting away with it.

Kev.

My wife was recently caught doing 36 on a 30mph road. She claims that there is no speed limit sign near or around the gatso that caught her.

Does anyone know if that's grounds for an appeal?

It is a valid get out as speed limit signs have to be posted a set distance along the road, but can't remember what the distance is.

[ QUOTE ]
It is a valid get out as speed limit signs have to be posted a set distance along the road, but can't remember what the distance is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought if there was no speed limit sign posted then the national speed limit for that type of road applies?

You could I suppose if I am wrong, find a road which leads onto the road on which you were caught and see if there is a sign between there and the camera?

By the looks of it there is no requirement for additional signs around cameras (see point 2), http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_505176.pdf , sorry don't know how to do clicky thing, although I did think the picture of a speed camera needs to be in the vicinity? Although this is probably only the case with forces that are in the "cash for cameras" scheme.

There is guidance in circular 1/95 indicating maximum distances between repeater, but it is just that, guidance. If it is obvious that you have passed termianl markers and repeaters are present at approximately the guidance distances, then very much doubt you can argue against this in court. Sorry I couldn't be more positive! Also sorry to sound like a geek but I work in road safety!!

sure they said the other day in paper signs have to be 100 meters away from the camera, the story was about bloke who had got away with speed ticket as signs were not the correctt distance away