SMOKING

B

bainsyboy

today im giving up, just smoked last cig, any one else given up recently and what did you use to help? Think i will struggle at work (signal box, railway) as usually have cup of coffee and cig, also when i go out, up pub. Any tips gratefully received

Change your routine if poss, then you don`t start thinking `i`d be havin a fag now`, you gotta keep busy. The pub is defo the hardest one tho!
Its quite easy really ive given up loads of times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Good luck Bainsy, i've never smoked so no advice from me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

OK, the best tips, which worked for me was the following.

1. Stop smoking altogether, no ifs or buts, even on bad days.
2. Make sure your partner gives up smoking too, else dont even bother.
3. Put the money you would have spent on ciggy's in a glass jar on the mantlepiece as a permanent reminder of the money your saving.
4. Make sure your putting money in the jar honestly.

this means that if you smoke 20 a day, thats at least 35 quid going into the jar a week. If your partner smokes 20 a day too, thats at least £70 a week.

Now the fun bit,

at the end of the month, take the cash which could be upto £280 by now, or even more, and blow it on absolute rubbish - but something you've always wanted - clothes, mods for the motor, something that'll make you feel good basically.

Its really important that you keep putting the money in the jar though, so you can hold and feel all the money that u pi$$ away smoking, then fill you wallet with it, and spend it on other ways to make you feel good.

Good Luck.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I've never tried to give up but keeping busy is definately vital. My mate gave up a while back and now he is a nightmare as he never relaxes & chills out, as he knows he'll be craving again. He does smoke cigars occasionally which just seems to be a bit of a cop out, but I guess if it helps then it's gotta be better for you.
Do people still buy fags in the UK? I've been getting mine from www.k2smokes.com for about a year now, 3 cartons for £74 delivered, less than half price (Marlboro Lights) and they've never failed to get through, the packaging states what's inside and I've never had to pay any duty as it is already paid in Europe.

You could try the NHS, I used it to give up - Went to the doctors who referred me to my nearest clinic - had a chat with them and they gave me a prescription for the patches - job done.

Although - I do think it's more about mental "will" power than the patches / gum etc etc. You need to tell yourself that you don't need to smoke and that it does nothing for you.

Also, (as above) if you can change your routine to keep you occupied when you would normally be smoking thats a big help.

Failing that do a search on google for the results of smoking on lungs etc - it'll soon put things in perspective. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Good luck

What worked for me was, instead of deciding I was giving up smoking, I set myself the more manageable task of not having a ciggie that day.

Then, next morning, I tried not to have a ciggie THAT day.

Then, the next morning.....well, you get the idea.

The reason it worked for me was that each day was a new target that wasn't too scary, & by stringing together enough days without a ciggie, I eventually became a ex-smoker without realising it.

Many years later, I became friends with a recovering alcoholic, and discovered that this is similar to the approach used by AA, the difference being of course that for an alcoholic, you have to set that target every day for the rest of your life. There is no such thing as a ex-alcoholic.

Would agree with comments about setting the money aside. About a month in, I hit a difficult spell where I wasn't feeling any better, & didn't seem to be any better off financially. So, I worked out how much I'd previously been spending a month on ciggies, then went down to my local AV shop & bought a new TV & video on an interest-free credit deal, with monthly payments equal to my ciggie spend.

That night, I sat down to watch, & was reminded of my reward.

Stopping smoking is a very personal thing. Just because it worked for me, doesn't mean it'll work for you.

However you tackle it, good luck!

Brainsboy just giving up myself...have been for a while and lasted only 10 weeks last time about 7 months ago lol. I've had a bad flu for last few days and still coughing up horrible black and grey crap from my lungs so thats whats put me off now. It wont be easy.....first couple of days are bad then its ok but after a few weeks it becomes difficult again.....best thing i can recommend is start exercising as you will feel fitter and stronger as time goes on and that will definatley put you off going back on the cigs...good luck mate i'm right beside you on this one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I gave up about 18 Months ago, after a sinus operation. was told to lay off the fags for about 2 Weeks. Thought OK I'm 'choosing not to smoke' then............ so I didn't, pure willpower!!

My tip is I still keep a pack of 20 in the car..............However If I ever needed to light one up it'd probably taste like the 'crust' from the Devils dung...........!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS I still feel I could 'light up' at any moment.

[ QUOTE ]
I gave up about 18 Months ago, after a sinus operation. was told to lay off the fags for about 2 Weeks. Thought OK I'm 'choosing not to smoke' then............ so I didn't, pure willpower!!

My tip is I still keep a pack of 20 in the car..............However If I ever needed to light one up it'd probably taste like the 'crust' from the Devils dung...........!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS I still feel I could 'light up' at any moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave up for 5 years then started again 4 years ago.... The whole of the 5 years I spent wanting to smoke. I think it depends on the person - some people say they absolutely get no cravings at all, so they are either lying or different people handle addictions differently.

I am trying to give up at the moment but having a very hard time. I'm currently on a mix of patches and smoking.... believe me the patches are hard to light.

GF is also trying but whenever we see each other we always want to smoke for some reason.... must be the afterglow thing hehehe

the NHS should really rebrand the whole smoking thing.
The helpline is called "Quitters" and all they talk about is "giving up", it all has a very negative feel to it.
I'm particularly annoyed by the recent radio ad about 2nd hand smoke, where they pull a figure out of the air of "25% more likely to get heart disease" if you recieve 2nd hand smoke, with no criteria around what amount of 2nd hand smoke it is based on.
It's about as convincing as the speed camera/accident crap they use. It just devalues the whole message and they lose all credibility as a result.

Cheers for advice gentlemen so far so good, havent had a cig must admit 1st thing in morning was worst and also now writing this has started to me think i could do with cig lol,( i best go to another thread,) going to try to use will power as i reckon id get hooked on the patches and there more expensive than the cigs, definately will try putting the money in jar routine, good advice madvw if i can do it, thats a bleeding good holiday i could have with my savings. Like i said thanks for advice gentlemen ill bear it in mind just dreading pub and mate coming round who smokes like chimney

I always remember a few years back my uncle telling me he had stopped smoking for 8 years and still got cravings to light up but good on him he hasn't to this day. Smoking is a nightmare they say its harder to come off smoking than it is to come off Heroin so that tells you something! God help us!

I dont smoke so this advice i have been given of friends
1)Watch the drink ,its the famous one have a pint=leads to a cig
2)after a meal have something 2 chew ,pen,pencil,gum etc
3)as u know have gum (again) bye the bed as in the morning its hard in the morning
4)have wife/gf give up at the same time etc

fallmonk never thought of that one, good advice, must admit ive had one cig today which was stupid but going from 20 a day to just 1 in 2 days isnt too bad.

I gave up smoking 10 years ago.went on a fitness mission with myself and i knew if i smoked there would be no way in hell that i would achieve it...........You need a goal to help you stop smoking something that is really important to you
I played tennis Three times a week till i became good enough to play for my village and i was able to run half marathon in 1hr 25min

only advice i can give is probably the opposite of what most people would say, most will tell you to get rid of all cig's and ciggy stuffs...... i say keep a pack around, it was when i thought i had none that i started to crave, and thinking of where i could get some, even in the dead of night !
i reckon leaving the pack open will also help, this way, i you turn weak and have a sly one, it will make you feel so ill with its nasty dryness and harshness, youll not want one for quite a while....
i smoked for years and then gave up for two years after an incident where id been surfing in febraury and after getting out of the icy cold sea, thought my heart was going to stop..... which it probably was .......
anyway, i gave up for two years, and then...... started again.......?????
i hate it . and i want to stop. i eat wrigleys extra by the box full to mask the stink of kak on my nasty fag breathe...... oooo i feel so dirty.... but i do like it.... cant way it up really. suppose thats how addictions work.
im one of them people where the craving never went away....... the trouble was... i smoked hash everyday..... i cut out the fags and just had a burn at night.... that worked for a bit...
but now, ive not had any green stuff for five months ,since my lad was born, so maybe, itll be easier to give up the dirty dirty bifters once and for all... after all, like i said, ive not smoke hash for five months, with no real cravings either, maybe i can do this time !!!!
but, im with you. im gonna have a fag in the morning, then none the rest of the day.... ill try this aproach for a week, then ill ween myself of the early morning tab.....

i wish you the very best of luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

myzeneye, remember to say hi to your short term memory when you see it soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

myzeneye

Fair play to you on the five months score chap... I struggle when I'm sent away for a few days on work trips - some really horrible withdrawals come on - my body sort-of expects to relax one stage further about 7-8pm each evening and gets rather cranky with me if it doesn't happen for a few consecutive days... How long did the initial DTs last when you told mary jane where to go?

Regards,

Rob.

not long rob.... i wanted to stop the rock'n'roll woodbines a few months before my son came along so that when the wife decided it was time to make a dash for the hozzy, i would be ready and of some state of clarity....... i dont think it was that hard really...... at first....i think worry and panick beat craving hands down.... now its different though.... i could kill for one now !!
im the same, i was an evening smoker and i do miss getting feotal once the wife has gone to bed each night.
but, on the plus side, i feel alot clearer with things now, my memory is still kak, though i think it always has been....
i just have to kick the fags out now and im cured. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif