How did we end up with tyre sizes that use both imperial & metric?

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
Now those wasters in Brussels have finished fcuking with our supermarkets shouldn't they really sort out the important stuff like tyre sizes and speed limits?
I want my tyres to be 225/40ZR455's
Or are we to believe they'll only force the Euro metric crap on us when they don't have to foot the bill?
Any estimates on how many roadsigns there are in the UK? and how much it would cost to change them all. Can't really see it ever happening so why bother changing anything. There must be at least one roadsign per head of population and at £500 a pop that's over £27 billion with absolutely no benefit to anyone apart from the people who make the signs (IIRC that's the inmates in our prisons, or if it isn't it ****** well should be)

Metric tyres were tried in the mid 80s if anyone can remember metros and montegos! BMW also tried it!
Only Michelin and Dunlop made them and they were far too expensive, it was cheaper for the Beamers especially to buy different wheels and go back to `normal`.
Also some Jags aswell IIRC

[ QUOTE ]
Metric tyres were tried in the mid 80s if anyone can remember metros and montegos! BMW also tried it!
Only Michelin and Dunlop made them and they were far too expensive, it was cheaper for the Beamers especially to buy different wheels and go back to `normal`.
Also some Jags aswell IIRC

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but they were actually a different size, so they became very specific to those particular models. I think what we are talking about here is simply changing the measured units of wheels to millimeters - after all the width is measured in mm so why isnt the wheel diameter?

True, they were special rims with a double lip to stop the bead of the tyre disappearing into the `well` of the wheel if you had a blowout. The beads of the tyre also had a double lip.

I get the point tho, it is gettin f /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gifin stoopid.

And all this metric/imperial BS has confused the hell out of my generation... I can work in mm/CM, but not inches, however, i can work in feet, but not meters, and miles, not kilometres .etc. How ridiculous is that!!

It's ludicrous in DIY as well, we used to have 8x4' sheets of ply or plasterboard, now we have true 8x4 metric equivalent 2440 x 1220mm as well as 2.4 x 1.2 which is slightly smaller and everyone still calls it eight by four.

Only in the UK could we be sold fuel by the litre but we measure the consumption in MPG and journey length in miles and speed in hours/minutes. Why don't we have metric time? with minutes being 100th's of an hour, and 100 hours per day and 10 days a week etc?

If we had a metric 10 day week I bet we'd still only get a 2 day weekend