Traffic queue, soggy bottom and stone chips

jimmo

Reaction score
Website
www.jimmo.org
Good morning!

Hellish drive this morning; it took an hour to do the school run (8 miles) due to traffic queueing way more than normal. It must have been that 5 microns of snow we had in the early hours! :)

Anyway, I spent the entire hour in the soggy bottom of my S3's engine range - between 1k and 2k rpm where there's no power or torque at all. My avg mpg reading was a pathetic 14 when I got there. Perhaps a stage 1 remap can help dig out a bit more torque in this flat area?

At least the slow traffic wasn't kicking up any stones. On the A30 here, there's a hatched area between the two opposing lanes, where folks can turn right at junctions. Of course, it also accumulates drifts of stones so when some people use it as an overtaking lane, it throws up a shower of gravel. This happened to me; some white car overtaking on the hatches and I could see this pale stone arc into the air and sail towards me with the inevitable *clonk* as it hit...right on the rear quarter panel just above the wheel arch.

Sure enough, I know have a nice 4mm primer-coloured stone chip in my black paint!

I know it's always going to happen, it's just one of those things. A cracked windscreen have been ****** annoying too, had it hit there. But I still had to mutter a cathartic "***!" when I saw it :)

Have a great day, all!

-J

​I sure hope that your day improves. :) x

​I sure hope that your day improves. :) x

Well, I'm in the office and I have had my hot caffeine injection, so that's good! I can see that it's snowing quite hard outside (Reading, Berks) but it'll probably melt away by the time I have to do the 20 mile run back to the schools this afternoon.

Also, I'm reading through the forum while sipping the coffee and seeing all the lovely things I can do to the car, from remaps to detailing and so on. Very pleasant indeed! Alas, having just bought the car, my online bank account has a big fat ZERO on it. :)

Anyway, thank you - I'm sure it'll be a fine day!