Internet providers.

TDI-line

Uber Post Whore
Reaction score
Ok people, getting fed up with my expensive AOL gold broadband which gives me 1meg for £25 a month, and usually gives me about 600Kbs. And loads of confusion with firewalls and anti-virus stuff, so am looking to change.

Any one use BT, Wandoo, Tiscali.

My phone line is with BT.

NTL? if u have it in ur area that is, mines £24.99 for 2mb line

Sorry mate, would not touch NTL as had previous phone problems with them. Found them very unrealiable.

FastNet have won small business ISP of the year a couple of years running. They actually aim to cater for the business market rather than home, but will accomodate home users if required. The upsides? evenings and weekends when you want it most, 90% or more of their customers are offline! lots of available bandwidth then.. not the cheapest, and dont aim to be, but fabulous service and consistent performance. Worth a call to see if the £££ is not too steep! I use them at a lot of sites now, have done so for several years, and so far not a single complaint whatsoever.

I have several staff on pre-exising BT ADSL links.. nightmare, poor performance, even worse service, so we change them out now wherever possible!

My father uses wanadoo in France, and says theyre ok, but thats as enthusiastic as he gets.. cant speak for this country..

A friend has Tiscali - says its fine for the money. Not the best service, but reliable and is cheap.

Hope that helps!

hth

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry mate, would not touch NTL as had previous phone problems with them. Found them very unrealiable.

[/ QUOTE ]

suppose its different for everyone, we've had it for years never had any problems

BT Broadband (now bt yahoo) here.

Overpriced, but not had an outage in 3.5 years. Throughput has almost always been at quoted rate.

[ QUOTE ]

Overpriced, but not had an outage in 3.5 years. Throughput has almost always been at quoted rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, i have had it since they rolled it out in my area. It's 27 pm and 40 gb pm, tho they have never querried how much i DL in the slightest

Check out www.adslguide.org.uk for info.

I have Nildram and they are always in the top 3 service providers each month for everything. Can't fault them. Make sure you get shot of AOL as soon as possible, they are evil!

Listen TDI can i just let you know that Telewest are the best mate and i would get in quick with this one if i was you. Existing customers of 2meg which i am on and 4 meg customers are getting upgraded next month to ...wait for it 10MEG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif So i would for £35 a month not bad! As i say they are systematically flicking the switches from the start of next month beginning with the south and working northwards. If you get in quick enough you may just be entitled to the free upgrade. Good luck

10M for £35 would be great, that has to be fair comment! whatever Tdi does can you let us know how this goes?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with BT Yahoo as well. The reliability is high, & if you phone 'em up & talk about switching, they'll bring the price down. It did that three months ago, & their "Loyalty" team cut my bill by £8 a month.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with BT Yahoo as well. The reliability is high, & if you phone 'em up & talk about switching, they'll bring the price down. It did that three months ago, & their "Loyalty" team cut my bill by £8 a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

NICE ONE!! i'll have to give that a go....

as for telewest... they maybe getting 10 meg, but as everything else, do some research. Most reports I've read state that even on the 2 meg service, most people only get about 600k sustained. People are highly sceptical about the overall quality of the proposed 10mb service.

I got BT about a year ago - never had any problems with the service or the speed.

they did upgrade me free of charge to 2 meg (only had one to begin with) and they have recently changed their download policy so you can go over 40gb a little bit and they won't mind

hope it helps

May be worth waiting a while for broadband prices to drop. NTL recently announced that they would be upgrading all there packages to 10Mb by 2006. I asked Blueyonder, who i am with, what was going to happen as a result of this. I was told that within the next few months almost all providers were going to be upping there bandwidth.

No way havent you seen Bulldog in the news on Watchdog in the papers they have been ripping customers off....bad connection speeds, people not getting their internet even installed and connected for months afterwards there customers services are abysmal to say the least.

Reply to MadVW about connection speed. Mate i for one have never had a problem with my download speed...everytime i download i get the full 2 meg 250KB and my mate is on the same in a different bourough and his is exactly the same. BY are by far the most reliable and i would say quickest at anytime of day or night...i was on BT for over 1year on their 1 and 2 meg service so this is what im comparing it to. BY anyday for me and when 10 meg arrives in a few weeks i will let you know how its going /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Check out www.adslguide.org.uk for info.

I have Nildram and they are always in the top 3 service providers each month for everything. Can't fault them. Make sure you get shot of AOL as soon as possible, they are evil!

[/ QUOTE ]
There speaks a chap who knows his ISPs. I spent two years with Nildram on their 2 megabit business product (I forget what it was called at the time) with a few bolted-on IPs etc. - and they were indeed excellent. I recall only one serious service-outage during that time (because unlike most ADSL providers, Nildram runs the majority of the backbone their customers sit on (afer BT's portion of course!)); and it was blisteringly quick. Their POP3 machine decided it didn't like my never-changed password one or twice too, but they were easily fixed within a few minutes.

The only complaint I had was that if they tried to process a payment, at lets say 16:30; and there was some issue, you could stand to get home a few hours later and find your connection suspended. Not something I disagree with on a residential package; but to cut-off a business connection without any contact to see if it's only a simple problem, and then send your payments staff home at 17:30 seems more than a little shabby to me. The part that made me really irate is that (not even thinking about a phone-call here...) they didn't even send an e-mail - and to me, an ISP is the last breed of company to have an excuse for that. They did say it would be addressed, but it never was during my time with them; perhaps it has now.

That is the single complaint I could make about Nildram though; otherwise their provision of the service was top-notch. I use a small provider now, because they're more customer-service focused than Nildram, and considerably cheaper on a similar package to that which Nildram previously provided me. They are exceedingly helpful if you have to phone them; and always try their hardest to expedite solutions. However; they have made a few school-boy errors; and on occassion I've wondered if I wasn't a technical professional in the IT business, whether I would've managed to get things solved easily. Recently, my static IP mysteriously became dynamic, but to be honest I just can't be bothered telephoning to sort it out - but I am sure if I did they would be as keen to help as ever. The documentation and online information relating to server info (DNS, POP, SMTP etc.) is extremely flaky; and wildly inaccurate in most cases because they actually retail a brown-box ADSL product which they can brand as they choose - I think this is probably the cause of inacuracies and the occasional inconsistency.

...It was also diamond advice on adslguide.org - that's probably the best resource for information and ratings on the DSL providers in the UK - there is even a list (sorted by a few grades of product-pricing) of total cost of ownership for each ISP (be careful though, some of the shockingly cheap ones near the top are people like Bulldog, or as I prefer to call them, Bulldust. They come in cheap because you get an internet connection - and that's IT. No email, no webspace, and if they're honest - NO BACKEND. That is of course fine if you only use hotmail (or similar), and either don't have a website or don't mind using geocities (or similar) - If you like to get all the other creature-comforts of a proper internet-connection, Bulldust are definately off the list.

...Anyyyyyyhow, Nildram get my recommendation too, as does adslguide.org - just figure out what you need from the connection and that site will show you who's best for what.

Regards,

Rob.

Downstream 1922 Kbps (240.3 KB/sec) 2075 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 183 Kbps (22.9 KB/sec) 197 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Thats my results from the test from ADSLguide.org, the first figure is 'Actual' and 2nd figure is 'True'. Not into all this stuff so don't know whether them figures are good or not from a 2mb NTL line.

So this, from a 2Mb home ADSL with Fastnet would be quite good then??

adsltest.jpg

seems ok to me, esp as my son was on the net on his pc at the same time too!!

Pipex are worth considering if on a BT line, £23 p/mth for 2Mb line and no limits. I've been with them for 3 years and had no problems at all.

Customer support is not 24hr and technical is charged at local rate but i've never had to ring them yet.

Try adsl4less.com - had no problems up to now!

Avoid Tiscali at all cost's! if you join up with Tiscali and decide you dont like their service for whatever reason (I had loads of problems- connection, outages, incorrect billing you name it!)
They wouldn't let me migrate to another ISP for at least a year, and then wouldnt disconnect the my phone line so you cannot connect to another ISP, they kept me on hold on thier 0871.. premium rate helpline on numerous occasions and spoke to me like s>hit when I called them after they sent me a bill showing £333 Paid with thanks- which then turned out to be a 'printing eror'

They took the P155 and took some more as they have just sent me a bill for £20, WTF! I have ended up connecting to adsl4less through my fax line so I still have tintenet at my workplace.

I got NTL broadband at home and its 100% faster and more reliable that the ADSL ISP's

[ QUOTE ]
Try Bulldog - they provide a cracking connection for the price of a pack of peanuts!

[/ QUOTE ]

i work for bulldog at the mo temping and trust me - they have so many problems as it is and getting a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif load of temp staff to deal with complaint emails is just making it worse- but the pay is good.

too many billing issues to list including taking two sometimes three payments each month for one bill or charging customers 6 months after they have left.

will get better once they get thoer act together- they r to release 20 MEGS very soon!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Try Bulldog - they provide a cracking connection for the price of a pack of peanuts!

[/ QUOTE ]
i work for bulldog at the mo temping and trust me - they have so many problems as it is and getting a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif load of temp staff to deal with complaint emails is just making it worse- but the pay is good.
too many billing issues to list including taking two sometimes three payments each month for one bill or charging customers 6 months after they have left.
will get better once they get thoer act together- they r to release 20 MEGS very soon!

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds very much like the way a lot of hardware companies I've dealt (/competed) with are run. Firefighting problems rather than fixing them at the source; all the while shifting product to a customer base that's grown so large they can't support it, at prices so cheap they price-trash the whole sector, so all those who do offer genuine service and support struggle to pay for it on the shortened-margins.

A certain competitor of ours famously sold up for about £20m leaving a whole e-tail sector in economic tatters; and an outrageously run business with a high and growing percentage of let-down customers in his wake. They should be rounded up and shot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Regards,

Rob.

[ QUOTE ]
Pipex are worth considering if on a BT line, £23 p/mth for 2Mb line and no limits. I've been with them for 3 years and had no problems at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure about that? I think you'll find 1Mb is that price....
2Mb is £33.99 (that's what I pay) - although they've got an offer of £27.99 for the first six months.

if price is the issue........ i signed up a new customer to ntl for £9.99 for 1meg.
my mate threatened to move and he's got 2meg for £9.99

Ntl have worst customer service, but if i say DBox2 and you know what i mean. you'll put up with the crap customer service for all the additional 'free' services you can obtain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NDO, Nildram and pipex are all execelent providers.

I personally am with virgin net, pay £25 for a 2mb line with 20gig monthly allowance.

Nildram have a £26 /month with a 30gig monthly allowance on-peak, no limit off-peak (Worth considering).

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry Ian, haven't got a clue what Dbox 2 is?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm guessing he means digibox 2. i.e. not that original overheating, locking, f-ing annoying, genuine spawn of satan piece of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif PACE digibox. (that apparently didnt ever have any known problems with - excellent customer service there.)

the new silver ones lovely though....

Looking between BT Yahoo and Telewest at the moment.

I see they include Firewalls and anti-virus as standard. Would this mean i could get rid of my Norton firewall and A-V programs then, and just use the ones with the packages.

Personally would avoid BT broadband... Had a friend join up recently and was more than a pain to setup.

As for firewall / AV, stick with norton as it is probably the best.

No probs.

Which ADSL modem do you have?
Also is it cost or speed that is the priority?

Anand