Going into Administration.

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
So we're into the third week of 2013, and three major high street chains, Jessops, HMV and Blockbuster have gone into Administration!

Bad times ahead methinks!

Agreed, however sometimes where others fail, people left standing prosper..... Harsh I know, but true.
HMV will survive, got to change their focus. C.D's are obsolete, DVD and Games are where it's at.......
As for Blockbuster, I'm surprised this hadn't happened ages ago.
Still hope for a better 2013 for us all.....

Is it simply due to a bad Xmas finally saw them off? To be honest, those businesses are in the dark ages and I'm surprised they've lasted in the last 5 years. Times change, they were obviously too stubborn, blinded or run by crusties to make the change. Blockbuster could have cleaned up if they'd followed Netflix's business model.

It's sad too as we've all grown up with these companies. My brother was a photographer and I used to spend lots of time in Jessops getting spares/printing for him.

That's very unfair, I watched the HMV CEO try to justify their position as they continued to sell gift cards/ ccertificates throughout the Christmas period and honoured them up to and including the 13th of January.... After this date, well you know the rest:shrug:

If they were selling right up to the 13th, doesn't that make him liable? He must have known the position of the company up until then, which means as CEO he's liable.

If they were selling right up to the 13th, doesn't that make him liable? He must have known the position of the company up until then, which means as CEO he's liable.

You're probably right, wouldn't hold my breath though....... Always give cool cold cash as a gift, the kids prefer it:thumbsup:

Peed off that I have £40 worth of HMV gift card I can't use.

Where did you buy your vouchers from? …..

Did you buy your vouchers from a third party, e.g Tesco

When Jessops went into administration, Tesco refunded their customers who bought Jessops vouchers with them.

If you bought with Visa, id be giving them a ring too?

HMV have been in trouble a few years, and like said did not/could not change with the times, sad that such iconic company's are going down though,
Woolworths was my personal shocker...i loved that shop....and had fond memories of it been a kid....

Sad times and im sure there will be more to follow, another one that I can see on the cards is WHSmiths, with the likes of ebooks, amazon, kindle etc, everything is moving to the digital era and as harsh as it sounds, if you dont move with the times nowadays, then its time to say goodbye.

DVD and Games are where it's at.......
As for Blockbuster, I'm surprised this hadn't happened ages ago.
Still hope for a better 2013 for us all.....

I disagree, sooner or later all gaming and movie watching will be done by download and streaming.

i agree with what you say about blockbuster though, they can't compete with sites like lovefilm and Netflix. It was just a matter of time and I'm surprised that lasted so long.

I owe blockbuster about £5 in charges...... not anymore i guess :)

Reactions: robbiemac
I hear Tesco are taking HMV vouchers and exchanging them, Not sure if this is fact though.

Nice one Spooky, been meaning to post this up earlier, after seeing it on the MSE Website.