Anyone ever sold a car to a overseas buyer ?

fallmonk

Turbo Sport
Reaction score
Website
www.filshill.co.uk
Mate recently had his Scooby on EBay (didn't sell) but one guy from Germany has e mailed him and phoned is very intrested in his car .
His feedback is all good over a 100 and a lot is big item things like cars ( guys a dealer and did say to my mate didn't try to hide it) .
Is planning to fly in at weekend and pay cash . Any one had this ?
Guys seams genuine any thing to look out for he's paying cash so have said to mate to buy security pen or get a black light etc

I suggest he arranges with the buyer to meet at his bank where the staff can examine the notes, declare them good, and pay them into his account before he hands over the keys. Make sure also that he tells the bank staff why he wants the notes checked, and that based on what they tell him, he will act to his detriment by releasing the car. That way, the bank knows what is riding on the check, and that he is relying on what it says. If the bank attempted later to say the notes were no good and debit his account, he would then have reasonable grounds for holding the bank liable for his loss.

That sounds a bit overkill to me, meeting at a bank?! By all means crack on, but if I was the buyer and you said that to me I would be quite offended.

I have probably sold 30 cars to overseas buyers in my time, both privately and in the new car trade and have never had an issue or the need to meet at a bank to have all of the cash checked. As long as you think it all through, use common sense and fill out the right paperwork for the car leaving the country it is no different to selling a car to a UK buyer.

I guess I am ultra-cautious, but that's something I would always do if a buyer wanted to pay me in cash, whether they were from overseas or not. It wouldn't worry me if they were offended. In my work, I have seen so many incidences of people being defrauded and suffering heavy losses simply because they were too trusting and didn't take any precautions to protect themselves.

It works both ways though; this guy is trusting the seller in giving an honest description and not defrauding him. After all it takes a fair amount of work to come from Germany and to arrange getting a vehicle back.

I don't see it any different to selling a car to a UK buyer, all the same precautions just sign a different part of the log book.

As above, germans are people you can trust and they would not mess you about if they want a car ! I would also be offended if someone is trying to get me to the bank and stuff, surely it would put me off buying the car. I also buy and sell cars and never came across counterfeit notes...i would know the chap is dodgy long enough before we shake hands to seal the deal and part with the money! If you really want it get the chap to bring pounds instead of euro's and you can pay them in the bank right away !

It works both ways though; this guy is trusting the seller in giving an honest description and not defrauding him. After all it takes a fair amount of work to come from Germany and to arrange getting a vehicle back.

I don't see it any different to selling a car to a UK buyer, all the same precautions just sign a different part of the log book.

If that's your experience, then fair dos. I guess I'm just more cautious than most.

as above for large cash sales
i take the buyer to the bank
no way am i handing a car over for 10k without makeing sure.
and if the buyer dont like it then he can move on to the next
iv also met at banks so the seller can deposit the cash.

16Klappe I understand where you’re coming from as you say you have done this many times before, but id agree with Jdp.

I don’t think the buyer willbe offended if you ask him up-front “is it ok to meet at a bank” as you don’t want to carry all that money around with you.

If he’s happy to buy the car, just walk into the bank and he can put the money into your account.

I’v have done this before for over 10k with a UK buyer.

I sold my 550bhp subaru type r to an Austrian who contacted me after sale end and offered me close to my 12k asking price i thought it was a little dodgy to start with ,
however gave him the benefit of the doubt and told him to catch plane to birmingham airport then train to city centre where i would meet him and take to view car and then to bank for cash to be handed directly to them

Deal went through smoothly with no problems , He told me that they are unable to modify cars in Austria so they buy them highly tuned from uk and take them back to sell for a large profit also said that there are companies popping up in Germany doing same thing

Id happily deal with again

I suggest he arranges with the buyer to meet at his bank where the staff can examine the notes, declare them good, and pay them into his account before he hands over the keys. Make sure also that he tells the bank staff why he wants the notes checked, and that based on what they tell him, he will act to his detriment by releasing the car. That way, the bank knows what is riding on the check, and that he is relying on what it says. If the bank attempted later to say the notes were no good and debit his account, he would then have reasonable grounds for holding the bank liable for his loss.

Agree.
Done this 3 or 4 times when I have sold private to UK based punters.

Always meet at my house to give the buyer confidence. Test drive, cuppa, check the docs, small talk etc..
The off to the bank to do the transaction.
Then hand over the V5, keys etc..
Job done.