Fuel Protests, here we go again....

johnnywb

Reaction score
BBC News

So the big question is, are they serious?

the second big question is will it have any effect?

the third big... only joking.

I know that the Government have plans to get the army to drive the tankers should the tanker drivers not drive, and i know they have plans (i think backed by law now) for the procurement of fuel for emergency vehicles etc, but that isn't going to help get food on the shelves and people to work is it?

Having been upset at paying 93p a litre for diesel three weeks ago, when 12 months ago it was only 83p a litre, i'm now reduced to paying 99.9p a litre. I know i could drive around a bit and i i did the other week, but i can't be bothered to play the game of find the cheap petrol station everytime i need fuel.

Views? Go on, liven my day up, i working in the rating department of a prop co in london, and i thin i've found a new form of torture, it's killing me very very slowly...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I remembered when my mother came to visit me back in February. Fuel was about 78.9p, now it's 95.9p (cheapest I can find) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think they will cause more problems by doing this but I agree that something has to be done.

Is it me or do the government not seem to realise how many businesses and people in the uk have no alternative but to use their cars / vans / lorries etc.

these rising fuel costs are destroying a lot of small businesses which is a tragedy.

also - a garage near me is at £1.05.9 for a litre of diesel - WTF!! - I might start using red!!

Where is the nearest UK refinery? I think its about time something is done, ****** madness.
You know what, I went to the Eden Project on the weekend gone - They (BP) were handing out petrol miles tokens - not to get free fuel or any discount but to pay BP or associated companies MORE money to care for the environment! They had the UK mapped out in three sections - the south being green and costing you £5.00 the midlands being Yellow costing you £10 and the northern UK counties (& Scotland) being Red £15.00. It was a comparison to how far you travelled to get to Eden Project in Cornwall.

The friggin cheek I thought - surely the money spent on Fuel tax should be subsidising their needs not the motorist who has paid through the nose already.

Made me mad.

The Government just don't care. They wonder why no one is coming into London at the moment; >£1 a litre plus an £8 congestion charge, look for clues.

I think people should have started taking action before now, bring it on.

On a US forum someone was moaning about the US government committing "robbery at the pumps" because they have put fuel up in America to $2.99 a gallon!!! LMFAO that is about £1.60 a gallon, and we are paying a £1 a litre, they don't know they are born /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

The americans should be driving smaller engined cars not gas guzzlers that they are.

I have always said use one company ie BP or shell and no other brand, basically boycott a major player say Texaco for example and lets see how they like the roll of dictation.

When my sister cycled through America most vehicles she said on the roads where the BIG BIG SUV's. No wonder the oil reserves in America are almost gone with the way they waste it but still don't see why we have to pay the price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif Bring on the Blockades!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

its the goverment who need to lower tax on fuel, the country will just stop if this keeps up.

well this govenment seems to think it can do what it wants regardless of the wishes of its voters
the level of fuel duty in the UK is day light robbery

In the states, as mentioned above, there is public outrage at rising prices and US govt acts accordingly in dumping its reserves into the open market to lower the price as they have done in past week since Katrina struck
WTI oil has come off 6dlrs in past few days - of course we in the UK prob will not see this discount at the pumps until the market has rallied back above 75dlrs/pb by which time BP et al will have raised petrol to 1.10+ average

Brown has banked all the tax from our next 12 months fuel consumption and has it spent in his budget plugging gaps so there will be no duty reductions regardless of the level of protest

there does not seem to be a solution for us although the protests do make the news more interesting

the tax is ludicrous (80%) but why the gov't don't diffuse the situation by capping the tax level when oil prices rise I'll never know.
Why should the gov't benefit from oil prices rising especially when it effects the price of everything (as everything in the shops etc has to be delivered at some point by road)
this country......

All it'll do is lead to cost-push inflation, meaning that the Government will need to get the Bank of England to reduce interest rates to keep people spending. There's already a fair bit is consumer uncertainty out there (look at the fall in retail spending). If the price of goods goes up (how can it not when fuel prices are going up?), it's further going to stop people spending. It'll affect everything, my family's business deals with one of the biggest crane companies in the UK and their fuel bill was seriously frightening, well into the 7 figure range. They've already told us that their prices are going up, so it'll hit everyone. Probably in abuot 10 different ways sadly.....

shell at stanlow, ellesmereport, is just down the road from me..... i can sense the pannick in the air.....it was friggin chaos last time....
ive just been and stuck 60 quids worth in to be on the safe side....
i understand the urgent need for protest but last time it all got a bit seriuos when the asda had no food on the shelves...... not good really...... maybe i should go and buy loads of baby milk ,nappeis and stuff now,,,, just incase.....
it may not go bad, but be ready ,you never know..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

One thing I don't understand (among many), when they were moaning about retail spending being seriously down, they were only looking at the high street and no one picked up on the point that internet shopping will have hit the high street massively.
Especially on electrical goods. I mean who in their right mind would buy a PC/printer/TV/DVD/white goods etc from a high street store, when they don't even stock the stuff half the time so you have to have it delivered anyway, and you can buy it on line for a lot less. I can't see how a lot of high street shops will survive, they ad no value (are you honestly going to take the advice of a spotty saturday boy on what LCD/TV you should buy?) and merely provide a showroom so you can have a look at stuff before you go on line to get the best price. Obviously a lot of hi st stores have their own online stores but the bulk of online ordering is through new internet only retailers like dabs.com (who do £5m a month just on printers) who have very low overheads and can sell at cost +3%.
On top of that you have the international retailers direct importing from the states/europe so this won't show on the figures either.
Can't believe the pundits haven't realised that online shopping is where the market is going, and high street stores are largely a thing of the past for certain types of goods.

What they look at is how it compares to the same time the following year and the general trend. There's no doubt that internet shopping is taking sales from high street stores, but this can be seen as a general decline in high street sales, although it isn't happening as quickly as people thought. What can be seen is that retail spending is down on the same point 12 months ago. What can also be seen is that there has been a sudden fall in retail spending. The switch to internet shopping is a gradual one, this has been a sudden fall, that's why people are concerned as this has a knock on effect.

I don't believe the switch has been gradual in the last year. Look at ebay, nearly doubled in registered users in the last 18 months, can't really call that gradual. Also broadband has only really been widely available in the last 2 years, I'd say the switch was dramatic.
As for consumer spending it depends where they are getting this data from. They normally just use the amount of outstanding credit on credit/debit cards, and as we know this has fallen, but doesn't necessarily mean spending has fallen, just people being more careful about debt.

Hi all
With ref to high st spending,dont forget to add in the influx of Eastern block workers. They
may work here in the U/K but they send most of there wages back home,hence higher
unemployment ( lot of jobs,company,s gone East ) less money on High St.

I believe what they've been referring to is sales figures from the large high street chains, as these have a fairly good covering of the entire UK.

its strange, we really put up with these things and still fill up at the pumps, why,, in the states public outrage is enough for the gov to do something

yeah but in the states they have an alternative, it's a radical thing called a public transport system that actually works!

[ QUOTE ]
yeah but in the states they have an alternative, it's a radical thing called a public transport system that actually works!

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

I knew there was something we were missing....

petrol stations outside Cardiff are having queues this evening. looks like chaos is about to start.

There was hardly any traffic on thew roads around Lewisham & Bexleyheath this afternoon. I reckong half of them were queuing for petrol & the other half watching the cricket.

Has started around here too.....had to fill her up with the amber nector just to be on the safe side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I havent even filled up yet! only got a quarter tank in the car...i'm off work tomorrow though so will do it then...i hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

My local Shell is temporarily closed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, and the BP over the road had cars queuing up at 5AM this morning as I drove past, good thing I have a diesel! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Exactly how much did the government reduce tax by after the last demos???

Today someone on ebay was trying to sell 5 litres of unleaded for £10 which is £2 a litre.

Lets wait and see what happens after tomorrow.

I've filled up last week.

Just filled up today so will be ok for a week anyway!!! Guess i'll be driving very conservatively fpr a while! Its madness at the garages!