Badger5Volks Autos

Thread: The TA

3rd Gear

Status

The TA

is anyone on here part the the territorial army or ever done it?

i want to join and one day look to join the forces, i currently work in an office 5 days a week and at the age of 19 its boring to say the least so the TA a few nights a week would brighten things up, i don't want to be an old man and have no stories of my youth, the older generation have have endless stories on there experiences in the armed forces, my grandfather was in the MOD and i want to have stories of my own one day not i worked in an office most of my life!

so im just after you guys first hand experiences of the forces

meant to be in general chat if someone could move it please
    Last edited by James TQ; 27th December 2012 at 22:54.

2. # ADS
    ADS

...It's Never Finished...

Status
    Hahaha..... James don't you worry..... Whether you work in an office or join the TA.... You will still have plenty of stories to tell when you are older.....lol.... The naivety of youth....lol

3rd Gear

Status
    i know, but not just that, i cant stand working indoors, idealy... want to join the fire service but there not recruiting in my county the TA will be a career not just a job, i get up go do my 9-5 over and over same old boring days

Status
    Lol.... You want a job like mine....

3rd Gear

Status
    sign me up my friend, you a rig repair bloke thing? lol

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by James TQ View Post
    sign me up my friend, you a rig repair bloke thing? lol
    Hahaha.... F@ckin Quality ( Rig Repair Bloke Thing ) Never been called that before.....

3rd Gear

Status
    hit the nail on the head then? looks like a good job

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by James TQ View Post
    hit the nail on the head then? looks like a good job
    Ye in a roundabout sort of fashion..... Ye it's a good job... Only work for 6 months a year...

1st Gear

Status
    Hi mate I was in the ta when I was 16 for 2 years then joined the regular army did 4 years including ta service been out quite a while now not a bad career choice although I was in the infantry if I had my time again I would have learned a trade I'm an electrician now on civvi street but don't regret it one bit!! Good luck

Neutral

Status
    hi james i am serving at the mo full time have do 16 years to present if you wish to now any thing else please pm me and glad to talk about it with you jason

3rd Gear

Status
    i was just after personal experiances, going to join the TA then look into a career a little further down the line

6th Gear

Status
    If you want stories to tell your grandchildren go and live in Luton for a year.
    Live your life as if nobody is watching you.

Neutral

Status
    james all i can say is that i have had a good career in the army and have never looked back in joining very one has there own experiences and see different parts off the world doing sorting things but joining is not for the faint hearted if you want to join you most want this for you and not do it for someone else our other people really but as you now the army is going throw alot of changes and the ta are starting to get more involved with the regular army so you my not even need to go across and what job did you want to do also

3rd Gear

Status
    wanted to join the fire service, i wanted to try the ta to get a feel for it to see then if its a career for me rather then joining and not being able to get out

Neutral

Status
    sorry i mine what job you want to do in the ta mate

3rd Gear

Status
    oh not entierly sure, im going to attend a meeting in the marine reserves, had a look into that and you can persue a career in a spechiality, eg mechanics... just looking across the board at the mo

Neutral

Status
    marines good choose but if you want to do a trade ie mechanics why not try the reme (royal electrical mechanical engineers)

3rd Gear

Status
    because im in full time work at the moment so i can only train some evening and weekends

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by StateOfPlay View Post
    If you want stories to tell your grandchildren go and live in Luton for a year.
    I live in Luton what's wrong with it???

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Hi JamesTQ. I recently retired from the RAF after 22 years. Was an aeronautical engineer on fast jets dealing with the hydraulics, pneumatics, systems, aero engines/gearboxes - a rigger as we are called within the RAF. Had a ball over my 22 years and saw alot of the world including the places you dont wanna really go to but went to alot of places that you would love to go to. Overall it was great but the last few years got a little tiring listening and watching the military diminish due to cost-cutting and penny-pinching. After 22 years it was time to bow out and enjoy something else. Whatever force you go into in the next year you will more than likely go on ops over in sunnier and sandier climates. If you wanna go down the RAF route go in as an engineer or if you like the sound of you own voice an officer or rupert as the army call them.....either way you get a good trade to fall back on.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1 View Post
    have you lived anywhere else?
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1 View Post
    I work there, fed up with the drunken loonies who sit in the town centre all day long shouting abuse.
    Live your life as if nobody is watching you.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    Hi JamesTQ. I recently retired from the RAF after 22 years. Was an aeronautical engineer on fast jets dealing with the hydraulics, pneumatics, systems, aero engines/gearboxes - a rigger as we are called within the RAF. Had a ball over my 22 years and saw alot of the world including the places you dont wanna really go to but went to alot of places that you would love to go to. Overall it was great but the last few years got a little tiring listening and watching the military diminish due to cost-cutting and penny-pinching. After 22 years it was time to bow out and enjoy something else. Whatever force you go into in the next year you will more than likely go on ops over in sunnier and sandier climates. If you wanna go down the RAF route go in as an engineer or if you like the sound of you own voice an officer or rupert as the army call them.....either way you get a good trade to fall back on.
    i couldnt think of many things better then that as a career, im hoping after the training in a year or more it wont be afgan ect as they have a date set to pull all troops from there by 2014... but it will probably move to syria... just have to see whats on offer

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by StateOfPlay View Post
    I work there, fed up with the drunken loonies who sit in the town centre all day long shouting abuse.
    Thats probably me I will have to look out for u lol I live just outside Luton don't really go to the town centre but there are some nice parts

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Nova View Post
    have you lived anywhere else?
    I live just outside Luton but always been from the area

Neutral

Status
    I was 24 before i decided to join the army. It was more along the lines of "if i dont now i never will" which made me act.

Took me a little time to get in as the recession had just started and everyone was trying to get in but its the best decision i ever made, despite breaking my knee training earlier last year lol!
    Been in 3 years so far and will probably stick it out for 12.

Just be warned, its a culture shock - you have zero control over your own life. If the army want you somewhere you go.
    But the fun you have outweighs that by far.

TA wise i cant comment, but ive met a TA lad to transfered over. Got promoted to LCPL not long after basic as he was a CPL in the TA. Joined regs because he loved the life.
    Audi S3 [AMK 1.8T]

Mods:
    N249 Bypass
    Revo STG 1
    Rota Grid Drift 9.5J alloys
    AP coilovers
    PCV oil catch can (to atmosphere)