As some of you know I set myself a little challenge when I got back from cycling the Tour de France route in the early summer. Having covered nearly 7,000 miles in 7 months training for and then riding Le Tour, I decided to try to maintain the momentum and ride 12,000 miles on my bike in 2012.
Well last night, and with 2 weeks spare, the odometer tripped through to 12,001 miles. Here are some stats:
• 12,001 miles covered at an average of 16.4 mph and a maximum of 44.1 mph
• 732 hrs on the bike (or 30.5 days)
• Burnt an estimated 528,000 kCalories which equals 614kWh
• 361 separate rides at an average of 33.25 miles or just over 2hrs per ride
• Furthest single ride of 146 miles; longest ride over 10 hours
• Commuting accounted for 5600 of the miles (40 mile round trip a day – in all weather - since May)
• I used 4 different bikes
• I had 1 serious crash where I broke a carbon bike frame, plus I fell off twice
• I’ve broken 2 wheels, snapped 2 spokes, had 15 punctures, replaced 9 tyres and fitted 2 new chains.
But I did it. And guess how I celebrated today? I cycled to work