AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    Brum brum

Status

12000 miles on a bicycle

As some of you know I set myself a little challenge when I got back from cycling the Tour de France route in the early summer. Having covered nearly 7,000 miles in 7 months training for and then riding Le Tour, I decided to try to maintain the momentum and ride 12,000 miles on my bike in 2012.

Well last night, and with 2 weeks spare, the odometer tripped through to 12,001 miles. Here are some stats:
    • 12,001 miles covered at an average of 16.4 mph and a maximum of 44.1 mph
    • 732 hrs on the bike (or 30.5 days)
    • Burnt an estimated 528,000 kCalories which equals 614kWh
    • 361 separate rides at an average of 33.25 miles or just over 2hrs per ride
    • Furthest single ride of 146 miles; longest ride over 10 hours
    • Commuting accounted for 5600 of the miles (40 mile round trip a day – in all weather - since May)
    • I used 4 different bikes
    • I had 1 serious crash where I broke a carbon bike frame, plus I fell off twice
    • I’ve broken 2 wheels, snapped 2 spokes, had 15 punctures, replaced 9 tyres and fitted 2 new chains.

But I did it. And guess how I celebrated today? I cycled to work
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status
    I rode 2km's on an exercise bike last week, burning 9 calories in the process, only took me 5 minutes!... and 2 days to recover! lol

So to say I'm impressed is somewhat of an understatement Jase, nice work!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

moderately amusing

Status
    oooooh! squarearse.com!
    well donemate!

5th Gear

Status
    Congratulations, you've covered more than i do a year in my car!

Now what we're all wondering.. How many drivers have you pissed off?! haha

3rd Gear

Status

12000 miles on a bicycle

Mmmm. New year reso is to buy a road bike and start cycling. I used to do it a lot to get to work before I could afford a car. 20 years later and 4 stone heavier I need to do some form of exercise and gyms bore me. Any tips for a newbie. Budget of around 300 to 400 quid to get me started.

Brum brum

Status
    I'm one of the extremely rare cyclists who tries to ride on the left, I stop at red lights and I only filter through traffic if it is stationary having been knocked off too many times by moving cars. I'd much rather arrive a few minutes later than not arrive at all.

Having said that, I is quite fun whizzing past all the cars queueing to get out of Reading each evening.
    Jason

1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Crunching The Gears

Status
    Fair play mate!!!
    thought I was doing well with 600 miles this year haha
    I'm a mountain bike so I have an excuse.
    Mods so far...
    LED Interior Lights, Front splitter, Cruise Control.
    Puddle/ Footwell Lights, LED number plate and side lights.
    75% Window Tints, MY11 Lights, Black Optics Grill.
    MFSW, Leather trimmed Grab Handles. CH/LH Lights
    JL Audio, DAB radio
    Vinyl wrap wing mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lgooch View Post
    Mmmm. New year reso is to buy a road bike and start cycling. I used to do it a lot to get to work before I could afford a car. 20 years later and 4 stone heavier I need to do some form of exercise and gyms bore me. Any tips for a newbie. Budget of around 300 to 400 quid to get me started.
    Halfrauds have some nice carerra bikes. Big discounts on line esp after xmas. Cos I'm getting one!

Brum brum

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lgooch View Post
    Biggest problem is having the courage to get out on the roads these days. I have friends who I wanted to get into cycling but they won't go out saying it's just too dangerous. But I've been doing it regularly since my mid teens - so 25 years or so now - so I've just got used to it. As per earlier post, I cycle sensibly as much as I can and try to anticipate as much as possible.

You can get a reasonable bike in that price range, especially if you go for last years model. My elder brother was also looking at a bike and I found this one for him:Merlin Maven Road Bike | Merlin Road Bikes | Merlin Cycles £650 knocked down to £400, although they've only got 53cm size left now at that price. But there are other similar bikes out there from retailers. I also saw that a bike from Decathlon at £399 got a suprisingly good review by Cyclingweekly.

Oh, and don't forget to ask if your employer runs a bike to work scheme as you can buy a bike via salary sacrifice, saving income tax and NI on the cost of the bike.
    Jason

3rd Gear

Status

12000 miles on a bicycle

Thanks. I am waiting for the Mrs to get me the details of her companies discounts on cycles. Just been looking at Halfords at the moment but I don't know where her company gets discounts as yet. Cheers for the advice

4th Gear

Status
    That's awesome mate. Kudos. Any fat people wondering why they are fat just need to put down the cake (me included )and look at the amount of calories you've burned so far!
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport AUM K03S|Second owner|Forge 007p|CM TIP|Yellow Dogbone|Pipercross panel
    To Fit - Decat then Mapping WANTED: Audi A4 B7 or MK5 Golf GTi (manual)(Want to Buy December 2014 so Keep Me in Mind)

1st Gear

Status
    That is indeed a superb achievement mate, I doff my hat to you

Got back on my bike three years ago and covered 770 miles that year. Last year I surpassed 1000 miles and this year I've managed to do over 3000 miles which I'm reasonably proud of. Have now build myself another bike with carbon frame, aero wheels, latest Shimano Ultegra groupset, managed to get weight down to 8.4kg, which has helped with climbing! I've lost 1 1/2 stone and got much fitter and saved petrol on the commute to work. Here's my ride

What are you riding?
    Do you use Strava at all, I've logged most of my stuff on there - Graham K. | Cyclist | Strava - say hello if you're on

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Amazing acheivement, the figure that strikes me most if the average ride of 33.25 miles! I know as an average it's somewhat meaningless but the fact that everytime you go out on your bike it's for an average distance of that I find amazing, especially as a mountain biker!

I'm tempted by a road bike next year, as much as I love my Mtb it would be nice to go out for an hours ride sometimes and not spend the next hour getting clean...
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs356 View Post
    I'm one of the extremely rare cyclists who tries to ride on the left, I stop at red lights and I only filter through traffic if it is stationary having been knocked off too many times by moving cars. I'd much rather arrive a few minutes later than not arrive at all.

Having said that, I is quite fun whizzing past all the cars queueing to get out of Reading each evening.
    I think the difference here is Jase, you have a driver's license, and own three cars. So whilst you are pedaling, you have have the anticipation of a motorist!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Well done mate, unbelievable achievement...6 mile on my bike and i walk like john wayne for a week... any tips to get ass ache down??

Nick

Status
    Well done mate that is amazing.

I really need to get fit and dust my bike off, stop eating crisps and get on the road!

Problem is can't really bike to work unless I can manage 70mph on the M1!

Cheers,
    Nick
    Now - On the hunt for a new Audi!
    Gone - A5 Sportback S-line 3.0TDi quattro s-tronic
    Sadly gone - Ibis White S3 Sportback Black Edition
    Previous:
    '57 - Astra Sri Sport Hatch
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Il stick to just pointing mine downhill at stupid obstacles.

You sir, are a legend

Brum brum

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    That is indeed a superb achievement mate, I doff my hat to you

Got back on my bike three years ago and covered 770 miles that year. Last year I surpassed 1000 miles and this year I've managed to do over 3000 miles which I'm reasonably proud of. Have now build myself another bike with carbon frame, aero wheels, latest Shimano Ultegra groupset, managed to get weight down to 8.4kg, which has helped with climbing! I've lost 1 1/2 stone and got much fitter and saved petrol on the commute to work. Here's my ride

What are you riding?
    Do you use Strava at all, I've logged most of my stuff on there - Graham K. | Cyclist | Strava - say hello if you're on
    Thanks. Nice bike - liking the wheels & decals.

Scarily, I subscribe to the 'optimum number of bikes = 1 more than you currently have' way of thinking. Hence I have, in no particular order:
    Focus Izalco expert, my best bike, the one I rode the Tour de France route on. Plenty of carbon fibre...
    Focus Mares cx bike, setup as my winter commuter with full mudguards
    Felt F5, only got this in August to replace a Focus Cayo I crashed and cracked the frame. This will be my good weather / summer everyday bike
    Quintana Roo Seduza time trial/triathlon bike with some tasty FFWD carbon fibre wheels
    Trek 2300, a future classic, from 1991, the first carbon framed bike that Trek made
    Giant OCR, my old winter bike, now permanently on the turbo trainer in the shed
    Brompton, for when I go into London
    Kona Muni-Mula, well, one of them had to be an MTB. I haven't ridden it for at least 5 years....

Anyway, here is the Izalco at the end of the TdF back in July

I'm not on Strava - yet. I have recently bought a GPS computer but I've not set it all up yet. Will check you out when I get an account setup.
    Jason

1st Gear

Status
    Nice collection of kit mate, must be nice to have that kind of choice. Happy with my two at the moment, and next years budget will go on the motor.

Be good to hook up on Strava when you're sorted. I'd love to be fit enough, and have the mental strength, to do the etap du tour one day, or at least a cycling holiday out there tackling some of the famous climbs. One day

1st Gear

Status
    Brilliant acheivement and good to read some of the details and background you have posted !

I am a keen mountain biker myself with bikes to suite various off-road terrains and my local cheshire back roads etc.

Cycling is definately something which is benefiting from exposure and hopefully more awareness and understanding between motorists and cyclists.

Martin
    S3 2003 Avus Silver, Sunroof, Chrome Mirrors, Symphony II, Cruise, Heated Seats, Centre Armrest, Ambient Lights, GTRS Turbo, Forge FMIC, Sports Cats, MillTek, Coilovers ...