TIG Welding

Y

Yohan87

Recently I’ve been thinking that I would like to learn to weld aluminium so that I can make up custom bits and pieces for my car, custom boost pipes etc.

I was hoping you could share some of your knowledge for a beginner on the best way to go about learning. From what I understand it’s quite tricky to get the hang of and I’m under no illusions about how much practice I’ll need to put in.

Would it be best for me to try and get on a training course to understand the theory behind it all, or is it a case of picking up a welder and practice practice practice?

Cheers

To start with, to weld aluminium you will need an AC/DC TIG welder, which for a decent one will cost you.

As for courses etc, sure it would be advantageous however not essential imo. I bought a DC TIG welder recently and I just watched a shoite-load of videos online and had a play at some scrap bits. Then had a bash at welding some lambda bosses into my downpipe. Didn't turn out too bad for a noob lol
img0804j.jpg

Today I also welded on half of my V-band for my exhaust I'm making.
p1030335l.jpg

p1030336b.jpg

p1030337vs.jpg

My setup with my custom made welder stand (read: old lying down board cut in half with some scrap steel MIG'd in lol)
p1030339r.jpg