Pics of my Cape Town trip as promised:

audi5e

Reaction score
Website
www.simplybirding.com
The drive down to Cape Town started at 21:30 in Johannesburg. We drove through the night until around 7:00 where we pulled off the main road somewhere near the town of Three Sisters to have breakfast:

Sunrise_near_Three_Sisters.jpg

Breakfast_near_Three_Sisters.jpg

The_breakfast.jpg

If you're wondering, that's sparkling fruit juice not champaigne... :))

Colesberg/Three Sisters mark the start of the Karoo (very dry and vast desert area of the country):

Karoo_Landscape.jpg

Karoo2.jpg

There are plenty of warning signs along the way and they have also put "rumble strips" across the road every 100km or so to wake you up...

Warning_signs.jpg

If you look at the road verge, you will notice that they are wide enough for a large truck to pull over and allow faster traffic to get past reasonably safely.

The dry scenery eventually gave way to some very pretty mountain passes:

Hex_River_Mountains.jpg

Mountain_Pass_2.jpg

Mountain_Pass_Hex.jpg

Finally the road goes through a tunnel in the last mountain, known as the Du Toit's Kloof Tunnel and you come out on the other side to much more lush scenery much like this:

Typical_Cape_Farm.jpg

Unfortunately Cape Town itself was under thick cloud, the effects of a cold front, hence no photo's, however these were taken further up the West Coast, going north from Cape Town:

Rainbow_close.jpg

Flowers1.jpg

The above two photo's were taken near the West Coast National Park during a rare break in the cloud, wind and rain. The second of the two shows the start of the flower season. Looks like it will be good this year!

The next photo was taken further north at a little hamlet called Strandfontein, note the kite surfers, mad enough to go out during a howling gale in 8Deg Celcius temperatures... :)) (yep, the weather was closing in again!)

Strandfontein_Beach.jpg

The next picture was taken inland from the West Coast National Park around a mountain range called the Cederberg:

Edge_of_the_Cederberg.jpg

The last two photo's were taken driving through to the town of Ceres on the start of our 1400km trip back to Johannesburg (it was around 15:30 and we were only just leaving, ok, so we should probably consider seeing a psychiatrist...)

Ceres_Mountains2.jpg

The above photo is about 60km short of the mountain pass into Ceres and the next image was taken from the top of the pass:

Ceres_Mountain3.jpg

We finally got back into Johannesburg at 7:00 on Tuesday morning after once again driving through the night. We did 3952Km in three and a bit days... I have to say by the end of the last stint at the wheel, I was starting to see brightly coloured creatures dancing on the bonnet.... :)))

some awsome photo's there... your a lucky guy to be able to take a trip like that.... i envy you. hope you enjoyed it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Great shots and love the full dinner pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Very nice pal...thanks for the effort in posting all those up with the running commentary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The place looks stunning, good pics, it's on my list of places to visit, I'll get there one day.

Those kite surfers are nuts to go out in that sort of weather!

Kev.

Looks superb!
Great pics...

I think we will be visiting in the next year or so...South Africa is the one place my other half wants to visit.

Incredible Country you have there mate, as you say, pity it's run by a bunch. of corrupt imbeciles............ Good luck to you.

[ QUOTE ]
Looks superb!
Great pics...

I think we will be visiting in the next year or so...South Africa is the one place my other half wants to visit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if any of you need advice of where to visit and what to do, just send me a pm, i'll be glad to help!

I thought they were pictures of Ireland first, until I notices that there was no torrential rain.

Seriously the place looks fantastic. If only the politicla / poverty problems could be sorted it would be an amzing place for tourism.

I love the dinner, hope it was non-alcoholic drink though.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought they were pictures of Ireland first, until I notices that there was no torrential rain.

Seriously the place looks fantastic. If only the politicla / poverty problems could be sorted it would be an amzing place for tourism.

I love the dinner, hope it was non-alcoholic drink though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, blow me ya old Irish ******, so those were Leprechauns dancing on the bonnet then!!! :))

Like anywhere else with problems, the issues are only really real to you if you live here, as a tourist, you probably won't even realise.

Definitely non-alcoholic!! :)) I for one definitely cannot drive 1400km with a belly full of happy liquid!

Too true. With the dry summer this year we are having a problem with the little buggers all right. There are a lot of tour busses full of Americans out looking for them. If they'd only stop feeding them the problem wouldn't be half as bad.

Those damn Leprechauns, time to get the ole 2.2 out again.

Glad to hear it was non-alcoholic but the 1400km gives you plenty of time to sober up if the Mrs was to drive for a wee bit.

Great pics ....nice picnic boot you got there .............pity you did not get pictures of the City would of liked to of seen them

Cheers