The Moon and Jupiter

Ghost

Booooooo!
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
If you find yourself outside tonight and if the sky is clear, what will look like a "bright star" near the Moon, this is Jupiter.
Please say if you see it, as it's raining here! and maybe post a photo?

I saw it last night\this morning, had to get my iPhone app "Skyview" to identify it. I'll grab a pic if it shows itself tonight.

This is visible most nights here, it is especially bright tonight, can see mars as well I believe, great night for star gazing here!

I took these at about 3am today with my iPhone, but it was about half the distance away from the Moon at around the same time yesterday than it is today.

In the first picture I've labeled Jupiter & circled a blurry object (?) that wasn't visible when I took the photo, it appears in a few other of the pictures I took too, but it seems to move around?? Nibiru??? :laugh:

Jupiter Moon

This next picture was to capture the Orion Constellation below the Moon & Jupiter, but although I could clearly see it with the naked eye, it doesn't show in the image. ..more's the pity. :(

IMG 2175

This is visible most nights here, it is especially bright tonight, can see mars as well I believe, great night for star gazing here!

I'm only a keen amateur stargazer but i believe only Jupiter and Venus will be seen in November, Mercury Mars and Saturn are to near the Sun's glare.
You will see Venus before sunrise.
I posted last night thinking it's easy to find Jupiter being so near the Moon, it will be there again tonight but with more distance from the Moon as we see it.

Great photos Artimus, thanks for posting. :icon_thumright:
Good results from your iphone, and im thinking without a tripod?

no tripod! I'm actually quite disappointed with the results, I expected better from the 4S.

I work nights so I get to do a lot of star watching, but I can't take a proper camera on the job - the boss would consider it a p*** take. :laugh:

I've just come off night shift (offshore North Sea) and have been bamboozled by the moon and the bright dot beside it for the last 4 nights! Thanks for pointing out that it was Jupiter! Off home now to buy a telescope!

On the subject of space and planets! Ever wondered how big the Earth is compared to the known universe?

Watch this with your sound on! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
......and that's how small and fragile we are!

Hey,

I have recently recieved a telescope as an anniversary present and took a picture of the moon recently. Just for interest really :)

664899 10151232448597472 1539673060 o

A bit blurry but not bad for my first attempt :)

Hey,

I have recently recieved a telescope as an anniversary present and took a picture of the moon recently. Just for interest really :)

View attachment 8055

A bit blurry but not bad for my first attempt :)
Nice image ...that puts to bed all the conspiracy theories that the moon has suffered a pole shift or is missing and has been replaced with a Hologram. :whistle2:

Tonight is the smallest full moon of 2012
….and, once again the bright star to left of the Moon tonight is Jupiter :icon_thumright:

Tonight is the smallest full moon of 2012
….and, once again the bright star to left of the Moon tonight is Jupiter :icon_thumright:

wrong info spooky, the bright star to the left of the moon is me, lol. Sorry couldnt resist that. I will try look out for it later. Thanks. :) x

Saw this last night about 8pm, the sky was very clear here and you could really see it VERY BRIGHTLY!!

Very impressive :)

it will be there again tonight, and for the next few night but with more distance from the Moon as we see it.

Photo by Edwin Quail Shropshire Uk, what a photo!

bec0007e8ed2f1a5fc860bbb25e21deb_view.jpg

The dots around Jupiter are its moons

Reactions: jcs356
That is a very sharp image - I couldn't see the Jupiter's moons with the naked eye

don't know what time that picture as taken, but when I saw it this morning (around 04:30) in Hertfordshire, Jupiter was on the right of the Moon.

that is fantastic! a cracking image!
i will be venturing out with the dog over the farm fields in about 20mins where there is minimal light pollution so will keep my eyes peeled for old jupiter!
i doubt my crap phone will get any good pics though!

That pic is amazing, as I say last night it looked amazing!!

On my way home today about 5.15pm, the moon looked huge, was quite low and a reddy brownish colour....unfortunately I couldn't get any pics as I was driving, it did look good though.

Saw this again last night, had a look again about midnight and the bright star was on the right of the moon, was this Venus or another planet or what??