Insurance costs for new driver..

• Thread starter imported_CurryMilkShake
  • Start date
I

imported_CurryMilkShake

My eldest has been 17 since January and is now wanting to learn to drive. This is good. Unfortunately, it is becoming more and more apparent that the insurance is going to cost as much as the car. This is bad.

Having carried out loads of online quotes, we have discovered the following things:
- Tesco seem to be fairly consistently either cheapest or near enough cheapest
- Insurance is a rip off
- My son now wishes he was a girl.

Try this, its sickening. Go to Tesco insurance quotes, and get a quote for a 17 yr old learner, no accidents or convictions, just starting out.

To insure a 1.0 Micra GX, or equivalent, no mods, manual box, approx a P or R reg car value about £1200..

PREMIUM IS £1523.55 pa.. and no terms cos he’s less than 18.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

The 1.3 version would cost him £1816.50 pa…
A 1.4 Golf would cost him £1758.. They wouldn’t even quote online on a 1.6 A3..

Now re-enter the same details with MISS instead of MR.. Same age, same everything..

Now the 1.0 is just £875.70 and the 1.3 is just £1042.65.. no justice..

So, some of you must be in the same boat.. Any tips on beating these prices to insure a 1 litre sh1tbox of some description???

[ QUOTE ]
Any tips on beating these prices to insure a 1 litre sh1tbox of some description???

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep the car in your name and make him a second driver (although if he crashes its your claim and he won't build up NCB)

But all 17, 18 year old gonna be stung at first- thats life.

wen i passed i got a 1992 Polo GT coupe 1.3 injection, full leathers, lowered, alloys etc. and after passing my test i was quoted £2012 with norwich union. i then did a pass plus which is normally 6 lessons which can be taken with most driving instructors. its not a test at all, just different driving conditions like motorway, city and country driving. after paying £100 to do this it reduced my premium to £1100. hope that helps mate.

Dave

So far, putting either me or the mrs on, or doing it in our names, just makes it more expensive! :-(

However I LIKE the thought of the pass plus! Do all insurers recognise this? Dave, who were you with. cos that sounds a really sensible thing to do?

I know its going to be high at first, just trying to avoid it being higher than necessary - I still have a family of six, and only one income, so any savings are GOOD savings!!

Pass plus and an advanced driving course should be helpful - not all insurers will give discounts for it, but lots will.

I suspect the best path to take would be to put him on your/your wife's insurance for the first year or two, but as soon as he gets his first policy, he will get hammered, no two ways about it I'm afraid.

Or you could investigate how much the operation costs and weigh that against a lifetime of reduced insurance premiums /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My 18 year old daughter bought a brand new clio 1.2 (group 3e), her insurance with Tesco's was about £1000 for the 1st year, and has now dropped to £600 for the second.

I am 24 and starting driving as soon as i passed my test at 17 and was insured as an additional driver only for first 2 years, then had 3 years of non driving (drove my birds car as additional driver) and only juust got my first years NCB and pay £1,000 for my A3
insurance premiums hurt like hell

A friend of mine has had mopeds followed by 125 motorbikes from 17-21 and he now carries maximum NCB at 24 and his insurer recognises his motorbike NCB on his cars

would assum that a bike is not an option so only thing to do is insure him as an additional driver and then he can worry about building NCB when he is over 21 and hopefully earning some money (still cheaper than gender re-assignment surgery...)

Insurance companies are Merchant Bankers

But the real problem lies is with scum bags driving around un-insured and causing the higher premiums. The Thiefs that think it is perfactly OK to steal your car or to smash and grab.

Hi CMS, i went with norwich union in the end. they said the pass plus gave me a 48% reductoin on the premium so give or take a few quid on the quotes i mentioned in the previous post. its well worth doing it as its no trouble and its not a test at all. however as i realised this year after getting the A3 that the pass plus doesnt continue onto your next year as a years no claim (pass plus is basically 1 years ncb)... so instead of having 2 years no claims i only got the one meaning it all cost roughly the same the second year. still it saved me nearly £1000 and gave me a little more experience with motorway drivin etc so i'd recommend that. Hope some of that has helped. Dave

You need a series II landrover - group 1 insurance.

Seriously though, my wife/exwife whatever she is at the moment, is learning - she is 29, yes 29 years old, so I get her a quote on a 316 auto BMW, valued at £500, TPFT, and guess what they want?

£900!!!!!!

I have never paid that much for insurance in my life!!! My 2nd car was a Cavalier SRi, when I was 18 years old and the insurance was £400 - OK that was a long time ago but still!

[ QUOTE ]
But the real problem lies is with scum bags driving around un-insured and causing the higher premiums. The Thiefs that think it is perfactly OK to steal your car or to smash and grab.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its also the chavs who have a minor collision, and insist of claiming for whiplash. At the end of it, they get a couple of hundred quid out of it and the insurance companies end up paying court costs and legal fees. Thus passing this onto there customers.