North Devon

Reaction score
We've decided to have a long weekend away in North Devon. I regularly work from our Exeter office, but don't really venture outside of it. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to visit and eat, and where we can entertain a 7 and 3 year old. Our base will be Barnstaple. Cheers

If you like cider go to Winkleigh cider farm. Always swing by there when i'm visiting Devon. They've got a great selection and you can try anything they have to offer (get the other half to drive haha) :salute:

For the kids try the big sheep near bideford

If you're in Barnstaple go and see my mate Pete's outdoor shop - NoSweat Outdoors, on the high street:
NoSweatOutdoors.com - Main Home Page

Best cream tea in the area is at the cafe next to the National Trust car park at Baggy Point, past Croyde.
Sandleigh Tea Room & Garden, Sandleigh, Moor Lane, Croyde
Tea

As my friends live in Braunton, that's where we normally eat. You have:
The George in Braunton - it's a pub/Thai restaurant
The Riverside - contemporary English restaurant
And for a fry-up, try Wild Thyme (yep, you've guessed it, it's in Braunton) - won NOrth Devon cafe of the year 2008.

Bit more touristy is The Thatch in Croyde.

And probably the nicest one in Braunton itself is Claytons - a trendy bar/restaurant in a beautifully restored old building.

Thanks for the advise guys, we had a great weekend. We drove through Braunton but unfortunately didn't get a chance to stop because my boys got a little excited on Croyde beech, so had to make a d-tour back to the hotel to change them out of their wet clothes. The only other dissapointment was that Sandleigh tea rooms closed the day before we arrived!

Anyhow, here are some of our photos North Devon - a set on Flickr

Stunning photos from your iphone Crazyfool..
I love visiting Devon, what did you think of that Damien Hirst statue? tbh i do feel sorry for the people of Ilfracombe to have that there, im into art but think thats hideous.

Well it made us go down to the front to see what it was...I haven't had a chance to look on the internet to see what it is supposed to represent; any ideas? All I could make out is that its a pregnant woman holding a sword and something in the other hand, with one half of her body is stripped of its skin. Very odd!

Haha you were in my neck of the woods, if I had seen this I would have spoken up. Glad you enjoyed it.

I quite like verity, she has brought a lot of tourism to Filthandgloom.

If anybody else is looking to visit the area, drop me a PM and I can give some recommendations.

We had a really good time, so it would be good to know of other areas because we will definately visit again.

Well you could always visit Clovelly next time round. Like said the Big Sheep is good for kids. There is also westward ho! Which is a nice area worth visiting. I actually actually work with a few holiday cottage owners, so if your looking for self catering accommodation, I would point you here: http://www.upcotthouse.co.uk/apartments.html