MOT

laurra

Reaction score
Website
www.e-miestas.com
How much costs MOT for A4 2001 (Y) 2.0SE Auto? Or there is no difference what car it is?
What should be in order to pass MOT? What are they checking?

There is a set price for an MOT usually around the £35/37 quid with free retest within 14 days. Prices do vary though but its that old adage "ya pays yer money ya takes yer chances" type rulling, usually the cheaper the price then its normally a backstreet boy, wanting to get you in then Sting you hard..So be careful... There is no test fee that differs per car type, its all one fee I'm afraid... and usually a very worrying time as you wait for the massive repair bill to come back to you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Tyres, brakes, suspension, lights, leaks (excessive oil, water, etc), operation of instruments/pedals/windows, condition of seats, glass for cracks, condition of exhaust (leaks, CO, etc).

I am sure others can add to that list.

P.S I forgot to add..things they are testing...

1. Structural safety of the vehicle, no rust holes

2. Brakes all operational, no pulling or binding.

3. No freeplay in any of the steering gear, ball joints, track rod ends rack etc.

4 No leaks from above.

5.Headlight patterns both normal and high.

6. lights all work, indicators etc etc

7.Horn.

8. wipers clear the screen, jets work also.

9. emissions!!

10. structural soundness of exhaust.

11. Seat Belts all work and retract.

and thats about it... overall it should take 40-50 mins if done properly.

[ QUOTE ]
Just £35/37? Somebody told me it's about £300, others said about £180 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone's trying to have you on. That or they may have been talking about how much they paid to rectify faults that were revealed by the test.

This is what you must remember. The test itself is a flat fee. If the car fails, and needs work doing to pass the re-test, then you will have additional, variable expenditure, depending what needs doing. You don't have to use an Audi dealer, but if you choose an independent, use the same rules as with any other work, such as regular servicing. Choose one that has a good local reputation.

Where do you live? Someone on here might be able to recommend a good reputable indie in your area.

At the end of the day, it depends how well you look after the car... I've never failed an MOT in the last seven years of ownership, namely cos I'm handy wif a spanner (Not wif a keybard OQ!!!) However get friendly with a mechanic who will NOT rip you off and does MOT inspections prior to the MOT that way you will become acustomed not to expect a large bill.. also shop around for your parts... because Mr X says that you need Y @ £££ price isn't necessarily true... you can find the same parts else where cheaper and still have you mechanic install the parts. I have a local STEALER up here whose starting figure is £400... don't ask me why but anytime I've had to put a vehicle in to them, their estimate is always £400.. another famous garage in Edinburgh next to Murrayfield (Located in an old dairy) used to think of a starting figure of £1000 for any type of repair including an MOT!! So fingers crossed.... you don't meet any of these "Dandy Highwaymen".....

Source D.O.T.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/Owning...&chk=3fdPzr

Vehicle Type
Age first test certificate required
(years)
Fee

Cars (up to 8 passenger seats) 3
£42.10
Motor caravans
£42.10
Dual purpose vehicles 3
£42.10
Public service vehicles (up to 8 seats) 3
£42.10
Ambulances & taxis 1
£42.10
Private passenger vehicles & ambulances
(9-12 passenger seats) 1
£44.05
Class IVa
Includes seat belt installation check Not applicable
£49.35

Note: the fees shown are the maximum fees and they are not subject to VAT.

Duplicate certificates
The maximum fee for a duplicate test certificate is £10.00 or half full test fee if leSS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------