what would you do?

S3 MCW

Reaction score
I was chatting to me neighbour who lives opposite who was moaning about his life. He is a guy in his 60's who appaently gets his driving license renewed annually, but last week he tells me the dvla hasn't renewed it which is ******* him off. Why not, I ask? He says he was actually diagnosed with early alzheimers a few years ago and he failed the annual dvla assessment test recently. he says he's going to continue to drive anyway as he feels nothing has changed! Should I shop him in? And if so who to?

I was chatting to me neighbour who lives opposite who was moaning about his life. He is a guy in his 60's who appaently gets his driving license renewed annually, but last week he tells me the dvla hasn't renewed it which is ******* him off. Why not, I ask? He says he was actually diagnosed with early alzheimers a few years ago and he failed the annual dvla assessment test recently. he says he's going to continue to drive anyway as he feels nothing has changed! Should I shop him in? And if so who to?

Does he have any family or regular visitors you could speak to? If so, it might be best to have a quiet word and mention that he said this.

As jeff has said, 1st thing is to try family etc, if after that you have no success, you will need to contact dvla or police. Altzeimers is degenerative disease, it affects so many things, including his thought processes and his ability to remember everyday things we take for granted in everyday life. If he has not had his licence renewed and he drives the car, he is commiting an offece, also his insurance will be void, so if he is involved in an accident with others etc, they will have no means of claiming for damages. Thats my thought on the situation. :) x

Selfish old men huh? My father in law is approaching the age where his license is about to be taken away. To be honest, his driving skill has gone down the pan a while ago, he changes lane on islands without indicating, and drives at 20mph max!, plus he's already entitled to a free bus pass already! Anyways, he accepts this, and has started to use public transport instead of his car parked outside his house. This is the way it should be.

It's difficult that he's a neighbour, you don't want to offend him, and your not close enough to him to be totally honest. But definitely hint that 'do you think that's a good idea?' or mention to him that his insurance would be void. Try some scare tactics basically, that's what I would do. There's other motorists out on the road you need to worry about at the end of the day!

personally i would shop him!
not very nice agreed, but you can do it anonymously through crimestoppers 0800555111
i have seen how much this condition affects people first hand so trust me i know, and if medically deemed unfit to drive, then, he must accept this!
it does not bare to think about if he had an accident and killed somebody, in particular a child, and you as a person had known about this!
it will play on your mind too!

I know how you feel as I've recently found out that my ex is driving around with no license or insurance and he was taking the kids around in his car in the summer holidays!

Wew had issues with him returning them before school started and got the police involved, which once he knew he stopped driving up from Cornwall, caught a train from York and told the kids to lie to us about it. I've refused to give him them for half term until he gets himself a new license, but he can't see that he is in the wrong as I dont trust him not to drive around with them.

We've reported him to Crimestoppers as the police did'nt seem bothered at the time...which I couldnt believe.

The time to worry is when he doesn't know which car to get in...then it's finito.

Driving is probably his only pleasure left in life.

Agreed, you wouldn't want to live with the consequences if he had an accident and hurt someone, or worst.

Shop him............. He won't remember you've done it anyway...!! :)

lmfao.gif

Simple solution,as mentioned above.

Any family or friend should go with him for a few miles,encountering all the obstacles.

It will soon become apparent as to whether he is still a competent driver.

I have had first hand experience of this. If you become uncomfortable as a passenger,it's game over for him.

Shop him. He could kill an innocent, and how guilty would you feel if that were to happen and you didn't tell anyone.

He won't remember telling you, so no need to worry about him finding out.

Shop him. But be sure he actually hasnt forgotten they re issued it!!
Im sure hed rather get 6 points for driving with no liscence and a stern warning than killing somebody due to poor health while driving.

No question shop him. If he failed the annual test then that's a good enough reason for him not to drive. He will have No insurance as well.

Theres always a chance he is lying and wants a bit of drama...then you shop him to every relative institution, then you get your licence taken from you and put in a straight jacket....:laugh:

Why not be a good neighbou and offer him your passenger seet for his weekly errands, point him to the online grocery deliverys, any prescriptions he orders etc can be delivered, I was lost when i was banned from driving for 6 months, hes been driving a long time, maybe hes just a proud man trying to hint he needs help?