does this sound fishy ????

• Thread starter imported_fingermouse
  • Start date
I

imported_fingermouse

a lad at work has been sent a cheque for his car from a man in Holand. Hes sent him 8,000 which is 3000 more than he wanted for the car. the other 3000 is for the shipping company. Now this cheque is in a company name ICT or sim. If the cheque clears on monday and he draws all the money out then is he still at risk from loosing his money ??????

heard other stories simular but if he gets the money and closes that account then can he still be caught out ?????

sounds well fishy to me but wtf????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

Yes he is!!! Being allowed to draw the money out after three days does not mean the cheque has been paid. It just means his bank is willing to let him have the money provided he's willing to risk his account being debited if the cheques bounces afterwards, which it almost certainly will.

This is the biggest type of car sale fraud going at the moment. Tell you friend immediately, do NOT pay that cheque into his account. Send it straight back where it came from

We've covered this subject before in a threat last year. Here it is. Show it to your friend.

Click For Dodgy Cheques

If he has already paid the cheque in, then for heaven's sake make sure he doesn't draw the money out and send it anywhere because I would lay even money that the day after he sends the money off, the cheque will be returned unpaid, and he will be one very sorry bunny.

thanks for the quick reply hes already payed the cheque in. But hes on holiday from next tuesday so ive told him to leave well alone and don`t let the car go anywhere. Hes going to explain things to the bank on monday. Then disappear on his jollys

Mods, please can we make a sticky on the subject of cheque fraud? I'd be happy to draft it for the good of the forum. If one person avoids getting ripped off as a result, it'll be worth it.

It is definately a scam sadly i belong to which magazine and they as well as other papers have mentioned this countless times, leave well alone

Detective TDI what evidence have you to back up the claim that these are indeed scam emails. Please present all your information to the court! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif