Iphone 5

Average phone in my opinion, won't be upgrading my 4S anytime soon.

will be keeping my 4, not worth changing it for whats on offer TBH

I can't believe it's not set for 4G, especially when 4G has just been rolled out in the UK. What's the difference between 3 and 4G in relation to operation. Is it a hardware upgrade requirement or can a bit of software convert your phone from 3G to 4?

I was going to buy an IPad this year, but didn't bother in the end because to me it looked more like an upgrade. It seems the IP5 has gone the same way which makes me wonder whether I should shift to Android! The other problem is, do I really want to hold onto my IP4 for another year with it's broken home button, just to find out the IP5S is another upgrade...what a dilema!

to use 4g you will need a hardware upgrade. Apple have been late on these things since day one, the first iPhone could not send MMS and wasn't 3g so no surprise there.

I think its come to a point where they have all run out of ideas so they hold back something to squeeze as much money as possible out of an old idea

I thought it could work on 4G? I think it's a sexy phone to be honest, if I had a 4 or 4s i'm not sure i'd upgrade though.

To be fair to Apple though, what can they do to change it? Make it round back one year and flat the next?

I always wanted a 4G as I liked the look and feel (weight) - aulthough being a techie I didnt want to be branded an Apple fanboy.
(I can appreciate Apple gear though)

When I have renewed my phone contracts I have always been deterred by the premium of Iphones and couldnt justify it.

I also like almost complete control of my devices which is why I went for an Android phone, I am happy I did and if I can run a custom OS / firmware then im happy!

Like others have said, there is nowhere near as big of a hype as there was around the Iphone 4 when that was released.
Many Apple users find it a need to upgrade whenever they release anything - cue someone I know who upgraded his Ipad two months after he purcased the original one just for the sake the new one was the latest Apple product.... there almost seems to be a cult around it.

Have they changed the charging port aswell.
So if I upgrade, my dock and composite cables and other leads become obsolete!
That's just brilliant,isn't it:sign_unfair:

I always wanted a 4G as I liked the look and feel (weight) - aulthough being a techie I didnt want to be branded an Apple fanboy.
(I can appreciate Apple gear though)....

I agree! I had the 4 and remember being well excited to go get it. It was a brilliant upgrade from the 3GS. However, in the end I got bored of iOS. It just looks almost exactly the same as it always has done (i had a 3G, 3GS and 4).

I now hand a HTC One X, with a custom Jelly Bean build on it, and I love it! The flexibility is amazing. I will admit, the iPhone 4/4S and 5 are all sexier phones, but i'd rather have the Android phone anyday.

As for the dock connector, it's been a long time coming. There was no way they required 30 pins for a port and they claim they couldn't make the phone thinner with the previous connector. The new one is a nice design, shame it's not standard USB, but then it's Apple. And yeah, it'll suck for your old docks etc.

i believe they will make an adapter to convert the old pins on the charger to fit the new one

Why is everyone so worried about 4G compatibility, it's going to be expensive for a while yet, and by the time it's affordable to normal people, iphone5S or 6 will be out! :)

to use 4g you will need a hardware upgrade. Apple have been late on these things since day one, the first iPhone could not send MMS and wasn't 3g so no surprise there.

I think its come to a point where they have all run out of ideas so they hold back something to squeeze as much money as possible out of an old idea

run out of ideas. Lol don't be silly with the amount of patents they own. Possibilities are not short. Apple are the masters of product subserdising. Squeezing money out of something old is brilliant for a company and its exactly what Audi did with the a3 platform with the s3 then rs3. It's a final boost for a dying platform. Just like an Xbox 360. Then an Xbox 360 slim. A ps3 and a ps3 slim. Facelift cars.........

i believe they will make an adapter to convert the old pins on the charger to fit the new one

But I don't get how that will work with an ipod dock? I understand why they've done it, but it still sucks for those with accessories.

I thought that there was now an EU ruling that all mobiles had to have a standard mini USB style charger???
So how come Apple don't have to comply??

Apparently you can get get around it by providing a usb-gay connector adapter, which I guess they will do when they have to.

I'm off to the apple shop tomorrow to try get the wife iPhone fixed, so might have a wiggle of one if they have any to play with.

A old work m8 fixes phones and told me that apple phones have Samsung chips in them ???nwhats that about

to those who interested the online pre order is open at 3am for all them nightshift workers lol friend of mine contacted apple

Well, I wouldn't consider myself an Apple fan boy, BUT. I had an original Iphone, yes the 1st type, and I was suitably impressed with the way it operated. It just worked well. The 'halo' effect and the fact I like to dj meant I bought a 2nd hand Macbook. It just worked well, until it broke and the house insurance paid for a macbook pro. I upgraded the original iphone 2 years ago to a iphone4. It just works well, and still does. Wont be replacing it for a while. The wife liked it so got a iphone4s when it came out. And about 2 months ago, work offered tax free ipads, so I've got one that costs me £16 per month.

I'm not particularly an apple fan boy, but our house is like an apple show room lol. There stuff just works well. The macbook pro being by far the best of all the gadgets.

iphone5? looks nice, very nice. will probably work very well. Do i want to be tied into another contract? no ta

I've been due an upgrade since March, waiting for this phone for ages, yet I can't decide if I really want one?! My iphone4 does everything I need of it!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/home-cinema-hi-fi-gadgets/167216-iphone-5-a.html
repost.jpg

I just got the wifes replaced at the apple shop, it cost £120 for a mint new (probably a refurb) iPhone 4. Her home button had given up and was terrible, plus it was playing up with reading the sim and doing all sorts of crazy stuff. She'll be happy for another few years now, so it saves me £400 on buying her a 5 :)

oh, and my mate showed me this.
iPhone-10.jpeg

Was saving my 3GS as its still in mint condition and was going to go for a 5 but the £529 price tag plus £25 for the adapter is a bit much especailly for a 16gb one as i really need a 32gb these days which is £599!!

So am now thinking that i might just upgrade to a 4S 32gb as hopefully they will be well cheap once they start selling the 5`s

Last edited:
Was saving my 3GS as its still in mint condition and was going to go for a 5 but the £529 price tag plus £25 for the adapter is a bit much especailly for a 16gb one as i really need a 32gb these days which is £599!!

So am now thinking that i might just upgrade to a 4S 32gb as hopefully they will be well cheap once they start selling the 5`s

My 4 is adequate for all my needs, the only reason I'm considering a 5 is because I'm due an upgrade, and I've had the 4 for 2 years!. The 4S does everything the 5 does, but without the bigger screen apparently.

Hmmm, BBC News - Apple iPhone 5 unveiled with taller screen and 4G The UK site only indicates 3G. It's sad to say, because Apple products are so good, but if it doesn't have 4G, I don't think I will bother upgrading; I'll make do with my dodgy home button.
4G not up and running in the UK just yet-Orange T-Mobile are the first network that will be using 4G sometime in the near future(not sure exactly when)-oops just saw voorhees post ;)
I have an iphone 4s for work,does everything I ask of it(check my mails,access group standards and documentation,make calls to colleagues and Control)but have an Android phone of my own,think I'll stick with that.

Well I've gone and done it. I was surfing the O2 shop last night on my phone and decided to go for the 5. My wife was complaining that if I didn't upgrade, she would have to put up with her new Blackberry. So I gave in to my own resistance. Just hope it's the right decision because O2 offered me a great deal to keep my 4 and I haven't even seen the 5 yet.

i have to say guys i got the ip4 the day it came out over two years ago and was gutted when the signal issue was announced on the news and especially bad for left handers doh! and decided never to buy a new phone on release day again thinking i was clever lol!
well contract run out months ago and went and got a galaxy s3 and couldnt get used to it as i'd been appletised!,everything wasnt as simple as apple and every menu had anouther menu, i do think it was a better more advanced phone than the ip4 or ip5 but im slightly retarded with these things and a bit of a simpleton and apple seems to suit my sort of peeps so i sent it back and guess what a month later i was quewing up outside the o2 shop at 6 in the morning......geek!
well now got the ip5 and have to say its definately faster than my ip4 was doing things web etc,i dont really notice the taller size or slightly thinner body.
the ios 6 seems to have a few probs with apps not working properly at the mo and i noticed alot of them dont fit the taller screen now?,the way the itunes apps are set out to download now seem to have copied the way they was laid out on the galaxy s3??
overall im not mega impressed though theres just not alot of difference thati thought there might have been with it being ip5 and the usual built up hype!

I've had my 5 for a couple of days now and in some ways it feels a little bit like my previous Nokia upgrades. It's a shiny new case with all the same stuff everyones used to. There's nothing there really to give it the wow factor other than the speed (compared to the 4) the slightly bigger screen; which does actually make a difference and some minor software updates that you can't get on the 4, like Siri.

IOS 6 could have been so much more exciting, which would have given the 5 a much better launch.

In all, I like the phone and the fact that the bigger dimensions don't really compromise its ability to fit in the pocket comfortably, but the operating system is old hat! IMHO the Galaxy III is just far too big...its almost a 'is it a phone or a tablet?' type of product.

iphone 3 gs here to stay. text, phone and email is all I need. thought about the 4 and 5. kinda like getting a K04. it's fun at first but I cant really use it where i live and like the 4/5, it starts to hit the wallet. i dont get reliable 4g lte so can't really justify buying an upgrade

Got my iPhone 5 on Saturday and first impressions are good. It feels better in my hand than my 4 did, and find it easier to use. Also notice the weight difference quite a bit. It's also a lot quicker than my 4 IMO.

My only issue is that I've got to buy an adapter for £25 so can use it with my docking stations.