Does a hit get recorded leaving a page open???

DuncS3

Reaction score
Hello,

When I load up the forums, and if I just leave my browser open for say an hour - will this show up on a work proxy server as lots of hits? I realise if this was a static page it would only show up when I opened the page, but just checking because of the adverts on the pages - are they downloaded once or do I get multiple hits?...

not complaining but just want to know if I can leave the page open in the background...

Thanks

Even if the banner images are cached on your proxy server, an attempt to fetch them by your web browser each time the adverts roll over (do they roll over every five mins or whatever? I haven't checked) would be logged on the proxy.

however, admins who have time to proactively check proxy logs for things like this in anything other than a small organisation need more work to do if you ask me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

or they are spying on you because they want to get you in trouble /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cheers...

I would assume they had a tool for checking internet access? Its a large company

Just dont want to look like I'm on it 8 hours a day if I leave the browser window open in the background...

I'm willing to bet there are plenty of other things visible in the logs that would make someone who surfed audi-sport for 8 hours a day look like a saint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Most proxy apps will have reporting built into them.
ISA server does a daily and weekly reports by default IIRC.
It records figures on protocols used, top users by requests and both data in and out, most popular web sites and traffic volume amongst other stuff.
If people are at all interested it's dead easy to get at, but normally it's more trouble than it's worth, unless of course they are out to get you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif