Navigation Systems?

RacingTeatray

Freezing in Moscow
Reaction score
I know this should probably go in the ICE section but no-one appears to read that too frequently so will put it here instead!

Not having a car with a nav+ or a double din stereo (thus making fitting nav+ far too expensive and complicated as you need to change the climate control), I'm looking at aftermarket in-car GPS systems - I gather everybody is raving about Tom-Toms but there seems to be a fair old array of these to choose from.

What is the best one under £300? Is there anything better than Tom-Tom?

I don't need something that doubles as a telephone/bluetooth etc as the more expensive systems do (as I already have a carphone system and don't have or need a PDA (work Blackberry instead)). All I want is a reliable and easy-to-use system with a colour screen that will navigate me around Western Europe (not just the UK).

All advice gratefully received!

Mate - I posted exactly the same question a few weeks ago and did alot of searching on the web... in the end it came down to NAVMAN and Tom Tom..... I went for the Tom Tom 300 and to be honest it's the dogs ******.....
The TT 500 and 700 are dearer and have a bigger memory and bluetooth / handsfree capability and like you, I already have a car kit, so I only needed the Tom Tom 300

You wont get it for under £300 at the moment though (unless your lucky) - I couldn't find a new one for less than £350 (and that was on the t'internet but add Postage and packaging and your up to £360ish)

Further to this, you can download the 'safety camera' databse to your P.C / laptop, then across to the Tom Tom via USB port and this is mint - tells you where speed cameras are. I think alot of the information is sent in by owners of GPS systems however if you do come across a camera and the machine doesn't beep at you, you can add it yourself the GPS device as a POI (Point of Interest).
After driving through Nottingham the other day - it was beeping at me constant - saved me license points I'm sure (I hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

Here's a link to the 'safety camera' database

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php

Cool - thanks for that info. Why did you choose this Tom-Tom over the NAVMAN?

Speed camera info sounds interesting too. This doesn't mean that a Tom-Tom would be illegal in France though does it? I know that they can (and frequently do) cr*p on you from a very great height over there if they catch you using a radar detector.

I did the same exercise a couple of months ago, and chose the Navman ICN510. I too think it's the dog's whatsits. I reckon this and the TomTom Go 300 are pretty much on a par with each other for price, facilities & ease of use, so I guess it comes down to which oneyou prefer.

Yep - Agree with Jeff...... Write up's on t'internet support this. I think the Navman was out first and an article indicated that when the Tom Tom came out, it was on a par with the Navman.....

Don't know about the use of these devices in France, sorry.

The forums on pocketgpsworld are very good for info about all the different systems. I think they also review each product. Might be worth you taking a look there.

A.