Tracker / RAC Trackstar etc etc

Remster

Reaction score
Hi guys,
the old man is planning to get a location system fitted on his new car (Boxster S). Does anyone know of a website with a comparison of the various systems? I know i've seen one, but i can't find it! Looking for a system that can be found in a container & abroad etc. Also what have people's experiences been like?

Ta!

I've had tracker on my last 2 cars. Firstly tracker retrieve, the tracker horizon. I never had to use them, thank god. But would recommend them for installation and overall service.

press

An amusing/scary story for you on the subject. When Tracker was first introduced into SA about 15 years ago, there was a story of a theft of some guys BMW in the port city of Durban. The owner had the tracking co switch on the tracking system within about 30 minutes of the theft, and they, the tracking co, thought the system was malfunctioning because the vehicle was doing over 800km/h going north.

Realising that the car must have been loaded into a freight plane the police traced which flights were heading in that direction contacted the pilot of the aircraft to turn back, which is what he did.

When the plane landed it was found to be full of stolen vehicles. All of them had been stolen within a twenty km radius of Durban International Airport 30 - 40 minutes before the plane left, and all of them had "legal" documentation allowing export!!!

It is amazing just how organised the crime syndicates actually are!

-------------------------------

On a slightly different note, these crime syndicates often "employ" people within the insurance industry to source vehicles for them that are not protected by a tracking device.

So whichever company you do decide to go with, make sure they have the certificate of installation in their files, so any prospective theives will know...

The RAC one is good, it knows when its being towed, and moved and they send you text alerts to your mobile if it has moved with out your concent etc.
They recon that they can have your car returned to you with in the hour of it being stolen...

Also you need to think were you are leaving your keys now, at the end of the day, if the thieves get your keys and steal your car (without you notifying tracker) then tracker will be none the wiser. Same will apply to all tracking companys.

Yeah, i saw a think on a website the other day for one of the tracking units adn they were offering a new system where you had a card, like a credit card and it was that which disabled the tracker, so if someone stole your keys, it would still alert the call centre because the card wouldn't be inside the vehicle. In Plymouth they used to wait in the multi-storie car parks. If they saw a nice car come in in the evening and the occupants were obvisouly going out for the evening, they'd steal the car and take it straight to the docks and get it on a ferry, so by the time you got back your car was long gone.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, i saw a think on a website the other day for one of the tracking units adn they were offering a new system where you had a card, like a credit card and it was that which disabled the tracker, so if someone stole your keys, it would still alert the call centre because the card wouldn't be inside the vehicle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect that's the navtrak ADR system you're talking about there: clicky here.

Not cheap - but looks interesting.... prices here