Would you agree to keep to the speed limit for lower insurance?

I

imported_Yaseen

I personaly would hate it- but what if they make the savings too good to miss /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Coming soon for young drivers and no doubt for rest eventually.

click here for full

YOUNG drivers are to be offered cheaper insurance if they agree to have a speed-monitoring device that records every occasion they break the limit installed in their cars.
The device, which uses a satellite tracking system combined with a digital map of speed limits, measures the vehicle’s speed every eight seconds and checks it against the local limit.

The information is transmitted to the insurer, which will issue warning letters if a driver persistently exceeds the limit. The scheme uses the “three strikes and out” principle, with cover withdrawn when a driver triggers a third warning letter.

Teenage drivers will save an average of £400 a year.

Definately not, as i wouldn't last until the end of the road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My insurance is only £300 anyway so would save me peanuts.

I can see a teenager agreeing to this and then getting insurance cancelled after three strikes. The insurer will then offer no refund and he / she will be left with no money to insure the car. Will this result in more un insured drivers ?.

h*ll no, thats like putting the noose round your neck yourself, few mph over is unavoidable at times, had to go over the limit yesterday as some driver behind me had sh!t brakes and almost came barrelling into me on three occassions, which would have been a major incident on there,,, not ideal but i did not want to be in a pile up cos somebody followed too closely

That's the most ludicrous idea I've ever seen. It is not possible to keep to all speed limits all of the time unless you sit glued to your speedo.
I find occasionally I have to glance up at the road ahead to ensure I don't hit anything.
If the tracker actually limited the speed of the car so you couldn't exceed it then yes it might be an option, but it sounds to me that this is just a massive money spinner for the insurance companies as they know it will be impossible for any driver to comply.
i.e. if you had to keep to 70mph on the motorway how dangerous would it be, stuck inthe inside lane between all the lorries, being unable to overtake safely etc. What a joke!

[ QUOTE ]
I could, until i buy my new Audi. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite difficult to break the speed limit in a No.29 bus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes when they invent the device that intercepts the signal and changes it so that i never go over the speed where the gps tracker is concerned.

[ QUOTE ]
That's the most ludicrous idea I've ever seen. It is not possible to keep to all speed limits all of the time unless you sit glued to your speedo.
I find occasionally I have to glance up at the road ahead to ensure I don't hit anything.
If the tracker actually limited the speed of the car so you couldn't exceed it then yes it might be an option, but it sounds to me that this is just a massive money spinner for the insurance companies as they know it will be impossible for any driver to comply.
i.e. if you had to keep to 70mph on the motorway how dangerous would it be, stuck inthe inside lane between all the lorries, being unable to overtake safely etc. What a joke!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with AndyMac, the insurance company cannot possibly know when you are having to break the speed limit in order to avoid a dangerous situation.

It's a very dumb idea if you ask me.

Watch out lads, big brother is coming to get you... :))

even better if they know you have broken the speed limit they might inform the police, cancel your insurance and send you 3 points for the pleasure lol

[ QUOTE ]
No i couldnt either
Does anybody in all honest know ANYONE who sticks to the speed limit!

[/ QUOTE ]

My mum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Is your mum a bus driver? Only joking mate....im definately sure theres times she too has broken the speed limit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Nope, she really is that slow, and she won't go on motorways.

When my dad bought his A3 turbo sport back in 98, she used to stall it all the time too, she preferred her mk1 golf 1.6D. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif