Live 8 (the highpoint)

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
If you want to see a masterclass in how to play live rock, just watch The Who.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

One tries ones best...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

anybody confirm that paul mccartney insisted he open and close the show or he wouldn't play?

i would have thought that U2 were more deserved of that honour considering the work they do?

also thought it very funny watching velvet revolver play to a bemused audience.

now i guess we see if it was just a good way of bands getting seen by a lotta people or will have some impact on Trade restictions! funny how all the african bands got sidelined down at the eden project. could have had some interesting collaborations. still...better than doing nought...go on sir bob!

[ QUOTE ]
anybody confirm that paul mccartney insisted he open and close the show or he wouldn't play?

i would have thought that U2 were more deserved of that honour considering the work they do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost certainly true. Never under-estimate Macca's ego, especially now that he's being goaded on by Hopalong Heather. Still, for all that I want to slap him very hard every time I see his face, I can pretty much forgive everything once he begins to play. I never thought I'd live to see Helter Skelter played live. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

What is it with everyone loving McCartney? Can't stand him, his voice or his songwriting. He only ever wrote the stupid/sloppy songs with the beatles and has since gone from crap to crapper, if Lennon was still alive Macca wouldn't get a look in, it's like we all feel sorry for him.
As for opening the show, ummm that really got the crowd going!

High point definately the Who they were on fire, Townsends brush with the law seems to have given him a real boost, he was electric.
Low point Madonna trying to sing studio songs live (Ray of Light was awful, sounded like Karaoke & should not be performed live).
Lowest point Dido actually trying to sing, 7 seconds ouch, painful! She should stick to her usual nursery rhyme playgroup stuff she does so averagely.
It's funny how an event like Live 8 really shows up the real musicians and the other so called bands who rarely tour and write all their stuff in the studio so struggle live.
When you see them side by side with little rehearsal it reveals who has the talent.
It was a shame they didn't have a revolving stage (like Live Aid) as there was far too much banter from Ross, it seemed to take them an age to swap the equipment over which limited each performance, 2-3 songs is just not enough.

[ QUOTE ]
He only ever wrote the stupid/sloppy songs with the beatles .....

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, how's this for a list of stupid/sloppy Beatles' songs?

Helter Skelter
Get Back
I've Got A Feeling
Oh Darling!
She's A Woman
Back in the USSR
I'm Down
Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
One After 909

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how long it took for everyone to clear the park. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My brother was there. I'll ask him, when he gets home.

Pretty good.
add in:
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da (unforgiveable in itself)
Hello Goodbye
Hey Jude
Here, there & everywhere
Lady Madonna
Fool on the hill
Eleanor Rigby
the list goes on, plus who could forget his solo hit the 2 chord wonder Mull of Kintyre?

Stupid/sloppy as I said.

We all know he's done his fair share of dross (although of your list, I'd only agree with Ob-la-di & Mull of Kuntyre, plus you forgot Maxwell's Silver Hammer, quite possibly his worst Beatles' song of all), but you said that he "only" wrote stupid & sloppy, which he quite cleary didn't. The whole point about Macca is that you have to take the bad as well as the good. His bad is worse than many, but his good is better than most.

(And no, that spelling mistake was not an accident)

[ QUOTE ]
.. if you write long enough for 30 years (& spent 10 years with John Lennon) then it is obvious you'll create something that's OK....

[/ QUOTE ]

To argue over who was the better between Lennon & McCartney is kind of missing the point. The fact is that they were a partnership, and both wrote their finest material when they were in the Beatles. Whether they were writing songs together or separately, they brought out the best in each other whilst, most of the time, curbing each other's excesses. And I mean most of the time. It wasn't always the case. After all, just as Macca wrote "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" when a Beatle, Lennon also did the utterly execrable "Run For Your Life".

The point is that their joint creative force was far greater than the sum of their individual parts,

I think your being a bit harsh writing off Maccas career Andy, there are quite a few hidden gems in Macca's solo career, although his creative peak was definately in the Beatles (you only need to listen to the Anthology 2 album to realise that)

HOWEVER, I believe Macca is now at the point in his life where he actually realises/believes his own legend, which is never good from an artistical point of view. The people around him probably don't help either, can you imagine someone telling him in the Studio that 'this songs crap, ditch it' or this one needs an 'extra drum beat here' etc? With the Beatles he had that constructive criticism with John and George, and even in later times with Elvis Costello and Jeff Lynne (Flaming Pie is a masterpiece, and suprisingly understated for a Lynne production).

I happened to be100 feet from the stage at Live8 yesterday in the Golden Circle, awesome experience! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Razorlight probably got my vote as one of the best performing bands of the night.

Everybody produces crap songs, that wasn't my point. U2 have produced some real clangers.
My point is that for anyone to earn my respect (something which I'm sure they really care about), they have had to have written at least 3 great songs (either lyrics or music or both), songs that produce goosebumps everytime you hear them (U2/One for example). Macca has consistently failed to do this, so I write him off, and that's regardless of the fact that I don't like his voice, or the fact that his era was 30-40 years ago. He should have taken his own advice and "let it be" when the band broke up. I'm sure we could all live without "Silly Love Songs", and "Band on the run".
As a Costello fan I wasn't impressed with the stuff he did with him, I could tell which songs Macca had a hand in without even reading the sleeve notes.

I'm not saying he's a talentless idiot, just that I don't understand this mass adulation that he always seems to create, when someone like Townsend or Richards has a far more impressive back catalogue, but just happened not to be in the ****** beatles.
If it was a toss up to see the beatles or the Who in their heyday I know who I'd prefer to see live.

[ QUOTE ]
...., they have had to have written at least 3 great songs (either lyrics or music or both), songs that produce goosebumps everytime you hear them..... Macca has consistently failed to do this.....,

[/ QUOTE ]

Try these three:

Oh Woman, Oh Why
She's Leaving Home
Calico Skies

why finish with pink floyd madonna got em rocking then the who then robbie then floyd put em in stupor again, kaiser chiefs was the best for me in usa although the yanks didnt have a clue who they where and stood around looking for burger bars. Also i felt watching it there was no atmosphere at start which i think was down to the golden circle at the front 90% of the time the camera would focus on some one in that part of the crowd and the person they picked didnt even know the words to the song signing along to some other song by the look of it should have put true music fans down the front then i reckon atmoshere would have been better.

Finish with something chilled out for the end of the night so people aint going home hyper and going mad....just a nice easy wind down at the end! Pretty smart if you ask me.

[ QUOTE ]
oh people for fecks sake....
here are the facts.

pink floyd played an awsome set. this was a reunion gig of one of the worlds most influential bands,after 18 years apart. dave gilmours guitar playing is second to none. there was not one single musician in the rest of the event who came close to the talent that "old" man has. if you think there music is poo, thats your call, but when youve heard them on a half decent hifi,it would be hard to come to that conclusion. breathe and money, the first two songs are off the worlds greatest selling album which has consistantly been in the album top 40 since its release, along time ago...
these blokes never sold a single record on image, they were all quite plain if not ugly looking, they never sold a single record through t.v airplay, they were deemed uncontempary, they never sold a single record through radio airplay, their music was to long and atmospheric in the early days.
and yet, without all these factors, merley through live gigs at londons ufo club and word of mouth, they managed to become one of the worlds greatest longstanding stadium filling bands.

their music is a world apart from throw away pop/rock songs.roger waters lyric writing is sheer brilliance.
if you dont like it, great....but to say they are s4it, is just plain iggnorance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you about Floyd, I was completly blown away, seeing em back on stage together again was superb, Walters couldn't stop smiling!!

Although to say "these are the facts" might not be quite right, maybe "In my opinion...." would be more suited /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Any idea how much was raised?

[/ QUOTE ]

The concert was not to raise money but to raise awareness and to put pressure on the richest countries in the world to cancel 3rd world debt and open trade restrictions which are in place for 3rd world countries to.

murdoch my good fellow, in my opinion.... those are the facts..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Not a Floyd fan, but am now....gilmour i think has been putting pressure on the artists (scissor sisters playing new song - take note) to donate royalties since concert. okay gilmour is very rich, but aren't we all in comparison! 2billion people watching must have done something for sales!

Was on the tellytex flod album sales where up 1600% on monday morning!
i think this is why they where under pressure to give royaltys away , i think "The Wall" is one of the albums (like The War Of The Worlds) that never leaves the chart 100! there is always a new generation buying there albums! ,
but good they have came out and sayed they will give away there royalits since the concert!

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how long it took for everyone to clear the park. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

not aslong as you might think, we walked almost straight out as at least half the people left after robbie williams as the trains stopped shortly after.