Where to buy replacement reg plates?

Mikebabs1

Reaction score
I'm off to Frace in August, and don't want to have to stick a GB sticker to my car, and I don't like the idea of the magnetic ones, as they're easy to steal. Therefore I want to get some replacement number plates with the GB bit on the left hand-side, as I've heard these are an acceptable alternative to GB stickers, which are a legal requirement when driving abroad.

There seems to be loads of places online where you can order replacement plates, just wondered if anyone had any recommendations, to save me searching around for the cheapest.

Cheers

Mike

somewhere like Halfords would probably be the easiest and quickest, not sure of the prices though - from memory they have a lot of different types available.

hope it helps

mike

[ QUOTE ]
My local dealer whipped me up a set of GB ones when the originals inevitably delaminated. I don't recall how much it cost but the fact I don't remember suggests it wasn't very expensive!

That way you get to keep Audi-dealer branded number plates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Idea Batman..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
That way you get to keep Audi-dealer branded number plates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want those? No way am I paying thousands of pounds for the priviledge of giving a car dealer free advertising.

Oh well, I get excellent service from my dealer so can't really complain.

sorry to hijack this thread but i notice that they can do the old black and white style plates

those can't be legal can they?

Hijack over

Mike

Definitely completely illegal on modern cars unless you come from Guernsey.

You can buy them legally for any registration number you like but black and silver plates are only legal if worn on cars first registered before sometime in the mid 1970's - can't remember exactly when.

I.e. I can legally have black and silver licence plates on my Fiat but not on the S3.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try fancyplates.

Cheers.

Mike

Same here, blue border, with the audi rings. Looks very neat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
sorry to hijack this thread but i notice that they can do the old black and white style plates

those can't be legal can they?

Hijack over

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

To qualify for Black and White plates the car needs to be "classic" ie it needs to have been bulit before Jan 1972, around J or K plate cars.
as for cheap plates (not used them but they are cheap)
http://www.clickmyreg.com/home.htm