Wish me luck - tomorrow I start a 2174 mile bike ride - the 2012 Tour de France route

jcs356

Brum brum
Reaction score
Yep, I set off from Liege in Belgium tomorrow to cycle the entire route of the 2012 Tour de France – all 2174 miles of it – in only 20 days. That’s exactly the same number of days as the professionals will take. And no, I’m not a professional cyclist, just a mad amateur. The route includes 25 significant mountain climbs (over 18,000m of climbing), topping out at the 2115m Col du Tourmalet in the Pyrenees which features on stage 16 together with 3 other climbs known as the ‘circle of death’ to give over 5,500 metres of climbing and 123 miles on that day alone. It’s been estimated that over the ride I’ll burn 198,000 calories which is the equivalent to 707 Mars Bars or 404 Big Macs.

I’ve been training very hard and have covered 4326 miles since 6th January and I’m probably the fittest I’ve ever been, but I’m still wondering quite what I’ve let myself in for. We spend the first week in Belgium and Northern France, so whatever the weather is doing here, it’s also doing there - i.e. raining. Then we travel down through the Alps, across the south of France, spend three days in the Pyrenees before heading back up to Paris to finish on the Champs Elysees on Sunday 15th July.

I’m raising money for the William Wates Memorial Trust who fund a variety of youth projects. If anyone is feeling generous and would like to sponsor me then drop me a PM and I’ll send you a link to my fundraising page.

Route2012.jpg

More info here: Tour De Force

The very best of luck to you Jason :thumbsup:
i will be watching the Tour de France as i do most years, so i know how mad you must be!! :salute:

Thanks everyone. Just about got everything packed. Biggest problem is all the energy drink, gels and recovery drink for 20 days in the saddle - hence my bag weighs a tonne! Just got to get it to Liege now!

Thanks everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates but things have been very hectic. I also only brought my phone with me so I haven't had a chance to log-on.

Currently on a rest day in Pau. We've covered over 1,700 miles so far across 15 stages with 5 more to go, including the big Pyrenean stage tomorrow with 5,500m of vertical climbing. The stats were also well out in my original post as we've already climbed more than 30,000 metres.

I'm holding up well, both physically and mentally, and my bike is behaving itself as well. Biggest challenge has been lack of sleep as we have been getting up as early as 5am to do coach transfers to the start of the next stage. But once the two big Pyrenean days are done, things will be easier and we will be in Paris before we know it.

All in all a pretty amazing experience.

I'm doing a daily blog here Tour De Force | Latest Blogs and there are various updates including photos Tour De Force | Live Photo Galleries

Good luck and all the best mate, hope you can complete it all succesfully.

Well we finished on Sunday as planned. We've raised over £250k thus far and are hoping for a lot more. Was an amazing experience and now looking back at the real TdF I can say 'I rode that last week'. We covered a total of over 3,500 km, climbed over 50,000m (that's more than 5 times the height of Everest), climbed over 60 categorised Cols (mountain passes) and averaged 192km a day for the 18 full stages plus 2 time trials and the prologue.

Paris.jpg

Well we finished on Sunday as planned. We've raised over £250k thus far and are hoping for a lot more. Was an amazing experience and now looking back at the real TdF I can say 'I rode that last week'. We covered a total of over 3,500 km, climbed over 50,000m (that's more than 5 times the height of Everest), climbed over 60 categorised Cols (mountain passes) and averaged 192km a day for the 18 full stages plus 2 time trials and the prologue.

:applaus: Total :respekt:

Missed this,well done Jason
Top cycling