Android Tablet

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
Hey guys

After a bit of advise if anyone can help please, I currently have an android phone and the little one is obsessed with it, so to save my phone and as its his birthday coming up, I would like to get him an android tablet.

Is there anything in particular I should or should not go for, ideally im looking to spend under £200 to get something of a decent spec.

I have seen loads on the net, but not sure on what will be the best spec, eg, wifi, screen resolution, ram etc....

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Nilz

The Archos 10.1 is a good tablet, im not a big fan of android, but this is reliable. I use it sometimes while my ipad is charging I much prefer my ipad, but thats my personal choice. :)

Well, the Ipad will obviously be the better tablet. But then it is 3 times the price. For the money, the Archos performs well.

Hey guys

After a bit of advise if anyone can help please, I currently have an android phone and the little one is obsessed with it, so to save my phone and as its his birthday coming up, I would like to get him an android tablet.

Is there anything in particular I should or should not go for, ideally im looking to spend under £200 to get something of a decent spec.

I have seen loads on the net, but not sure on what will be the best spec, eg, wifi, screen resolution, ram etc....

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Nilz

I work for a corporate partner of O2, and therefore deal with these kind of devices all the time.

In all honesty, I can't really fault Android Tablets at all. The OS is solid, and most come with excellent hardware at a very reasonable price. The only one that I would advise that you steer clear of would be any of the Motorola Xoom series - for some reason Moto have decided to complete overhall the design of the Android OS on their devices. Their design overcomplicates things, makes the device clunky and horrible to use.

Despite all this though, the vast majority of our tablet sales go towards the iPad, by a long way, and I have to admit I can completely understand why. From a business perspective, the build quality, hardware level and iOS software really do marry up to make the ultimate device, Android just can't match it. But then for what you'd be needing a tablet for, or what your son would be needing it for, an Android tablet would be perfect!

I currently have an ipad from work, which he does use from time to time, but cant really let him loose on that.

He is going to be 3 years old, so literally needs it for games, music and youtube, i would however like it to be of a decent spec as when its his bedtime, I can use it then.

I like the ipad, but I just cant justify having another one and spending that much on a 'toy'.

Someone mentioned a 'capacitive' screen as this is what is on the phones, as opposed to the other type, which is not as responsive.

Google are releasing their own branded Android tablet, made by Asus I believe, releasing in a month or 2. Cost currently slated around the £150 mark.

I currently have an ipad from work, which he does use from time to time, but cant really let him loose on that.

He is going to be 3 years old, so literally needs it for games, music and youtube, i would however like it to be of a decent spec as when its his bedtime, I can use it then.

I like the ipad, but I just cant justify having another one and spending that much on a 'toy'.

Someone mentioned a 'capacitive' screen as this is what is on the phones, as opposed to the other type, which is not as responsive.

It's interesting this thread, as my director had a similar situation with his 3 year old daughter about 6 months ago.

He's technology and tablet mad, and of course, wanted his daughter to have one too, for games, educational apps and of course, movie watching. He came to myself and a couple of others in my dept. for some reccomendations. He'd had his heart set on the latest iPad as he's completely Apple mad, but still came to us for a second opinion as it were. After firing some more options at him, rather than going down the difficult road of persuading him away from an Apple device, I managed to make him jump down the Apple scale a few notches, and he went home with a 1st Generation iPad for his daughter.

I thought, considering the circumstances and my director's requirements, an iPad 1st Generation would be perfect - it's more bulky than it's younger Generation equivalents, with a thicker screen and casing. The hardware is relatively basic and simple, but still powerful, and the OS is more than capable of meeting all of the requirements of his 3 year old daughter.

My theory was spot on. His daughter really does put the device through hell and back, there's dents and scratches in the casing everywhere you look, but Peppa Pig still lives on perfectly happily. Not only did my director save a lot of money this way, he also got a very reliable, pretty much top of the range device!

Might be an angle to look into? You can pick up a 1st Generation iPad for peanuts these days.