Badger5EM Tuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ROADS YOU JUST HAVE TO DRIVE ON!!!

_G_
    4th Gear

Status

Cool ROADS YOU JUST HAVE TO DRIVE ON!!!

Ok... idea came from... after inspiration from ScottB5...

What are your roads/areas that you have driven on, want to drive or recommend for a good drive... be it scenary... winding snake paths... you name it...

ScottB5 says Dartmoor...

I say... Lynton and Lynmouth (North Devon) and Betws-y-coed (Wales)... came across a particular valley in Wales which was amazing.. on this rare day there were fighter jets roaring through the valley... how's that for scenary... jet engine sound thundering... looked amazing!
    Last edited by _G_; 4th June 2012 at 20:56.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Oxford Street, London W1. Some of the most beautiful 'wildlife' you'll ever see.

_G_
    4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    Oxford Street, London W1. Some of the most beautiful 'wildlife' you'll ever see.
    haha.. don't forget to pay your congestion charge if need be!

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    A38 from Plymouth, in to cheddar, signs for the A37 on to whichurch/bristol.
    Lovely road or the A420 from bristol.

New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    best road ive ever been on was also in wales, the a4971 dolgellau to aberystwyth. awsome road, corners, scenery.... everything.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    A696/A68, Newcastle to Edinburgh. Everything you want in a road, sweeping corners, gradients, switchbacks, great sight lines, gorgeous scenery, and low traffic volumes.
    _G_ likes this.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Status
    Coventry ring road with its entry exits

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    Coventry ring road with its entry exits
    Once you get in, you can't get back out! Lol

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

_G_
    4th Gear

Status
    yeh not many folk know how to use those ring roads... iirc you are supposed to stay on the right when you join but ahhhh memories... when i lived in warwickshire... and i had to drive through cov sometimes to visit inlaws... you can let rip on those ring roads... ive done 90 on them and i dare go any faster but it was a silly thrill at the time.

Boo!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_G View Post
    .. came across a particular valley in Wales which was amazing.. on this rare day there were fighter jets roaring through the valley... how's that for scenary... jet engine sound thundering... looked amazing!
    Dont know if this is it but its well known as the "Mach loop or the roundabout"
    Best to have sound on when watching this link, see if you spot the naked lady and the car alarm going off ......... oh and the roads!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjVxnbmtmCk

its the A4971 Machynlleth to Dolgellau, so many lovely roads in wales, will try to post some up.

pic i took sometime ago from there..

Last edited by Sandra; 27th January 2014 at 22:36.

_G_
    4th Gear

Status
    thats the one! beautiful ram jet engine noise!! ps. lady spotted.
    yeh some pics would be good.

1st Gear

Status
    Epic! I have to visit Wales one day amazing scenery.

5th Gear

Status
    As used on top gear the roads around Oakham Rutland leicestershire, some mint narrow country roads, shame the RAF base nearby has shut now as you used to get harriers practicing above as you flew around! Not sure the locals liked listening to my 5 cylinder focus st flying around at 6000 rpm lol but I enjoyed it!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    A696/A68, Newcastle to Edinburgh. Everything you want in a road, sweeping corners, gradients, switchbacks, great sight lines, gorgeous scenery, and low traffic volumes.
    Agreed! Fantastic road, never had chance in a car but when leaving Edinburgh at 3am in the sprinter to Newcastle airport no traffic, no kids, no drunks just me the van and the road and what a road! (scary in the snow though)

Boo!

Status
    kirkstone Pass in The Lake District
    The A592
    I enjoyed driving along this road last year, a scenic route but with a some tight bends.
    Took this photo, you can see the road going away in the background.

Last edited by Sandra; 27th January 2014 at 22:37.

Administrator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by spooky1 View Post
    Dont know if this is it but its well known as the "Mach loop or the roundabout"
    Best to have sound on when watching this link, see if you spot the naked lady and the car alarm going off ......... oh and the roads!

its the A4971 Machynlleth to Dolgellau, so many lovely roads in wales, will try to post some up.

pic i took sometime ago from there..
    That end of Wales* is absolutely crammed with great roads.

[*90% of Wales is within 2 minutes of driving nirvana]

Aberystwyth to Barmouth via Machynlleth is a nice run - and Barmouth is a lovely place to stop for a walk around & refreshments - and then it's easy enough to head over to Dolgellau and back down to Machynlleth on the road above

Here's one of Barmouth's famous views...

One I used to enjoy quite regularly was a run out from Pontrhydfendigaid (Pont-reed-ven-dee-guyed, in case you're wondering ) up toward Devil's Bridge, and then over the mountain road to Rhayader - taking in the various reservoirs...

Another good one, further south, is the A4069 between Brynamman and Llangadog - there's not loads of it - but what there is is great. It was one of the roads Clarkson took in when he road tested the CLK63 AMG Black. Here's a StreetView of where he stopped.

I could get VERY carried away with this thread

Rob.
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

Administrator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by spooky1 View Post
    kirkstone Pass in The Lake District
    The A592
    I enjoyed driving along this road last year, a scenic route but with a some tight bends.
    [B]Took this photo, you can see the road going away in the background.
    Don't even get me started on the Lakes... Kirkstone Pass is a favourite, as are the roads around the Langdales/Wrynose Pass - you can choose either way at this fork and it's stunning...

...Here's the spot on the map. - The "main" road continues south west toward Eskdale - the one going off to the north west (which happened to be the choice I took on the occasion of that photo) swings back around toward Elter Water and Loughrigg via Great Langdale - which is a climber's favourite - the Langdale Pikes are quite dramatic.

...You might've guessed that I'm a bit of a sucker for this stuff!

R
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    A701 from Leadburn over to Moffat to join the M74/M6. A few ASN members have driven this when they popped up for a visit and experienced what they said was one of the best driving roads ever. Total Porsche magazine drove up just to do a review on the road in a 997 Turbo last year and it kind of took them by surprise. On a nice sunny day it is breathtaking. Perfect road to exercise the S3.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    I'm off to the Lake district and Scotland (not sure where in Scotland, just heading there and see what happens) in 2 weeks. I'm add them roads to our route.
    Keep them coming.

New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

Chugger

Status

ROADS YOU JUST HAVE TO DRIVE ON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Drunken_Fool View Post
    Ok... idea came from... after inspiration from ScottB5...

What are your roads/areas that you have driven on, want to drive or recommend for a good drive... be it scenary... winding snake paths... you name it...

ScottB5 says Dartmoor...

I say... Lynton and Lynmouth (North Devon) and Betws-y-coed (Wales)... came across a particular valley in Wales which was amazing.. on this rare day there were fighter jets roaring through the valley... how's that for scenary... jet engine sound thundering... looked amazing!
    I live very close to the Lynmouth road, I take it your talking about the route to minehead. I actually prefer the A39 Atlantic highway down to Newquay from Barnstaple, very fast road, but great on a bike or in the car.

Although nothing really compares to the roads in Europe.
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

3rd Gear

Status
    Duke's Pass from Callander to Aberfoyle for me.
    Forestry Commission - Achray Forest -

Boo!

Status
    Stunning photos Rob be nice to see a pic of the area where post #17 was taken with snow on the ground.

3rd Gear

Status
    The A93 through the Grampians is magnificent. Great mountain scenery and cracking roads. I often take this route to Perth from Aberdeen just for the fun of it and it takes about the same time as the main coast road.

The A939 Tomintoul road is another great run - always the first to close due snow in the winter. It is so exposed it is almost alien. Crossing Rannoch Moor (A82??) is similar.

The A83 Rest and Be Thankful is another great twisting road - when it isn't shut by landslides!!

We are SO lucky up here!!!
    1999 A4 B5 1.9 TDi FWD Saloon, Green SOLD
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon, 'Panzer' Plated (currently sporting wrecked engine - and gearbox )
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue, 'Panzer' Plated, Cruise Control retrofitted, OEM 6 Disc Changer retrofitted
    2006 A6 Allroad 3.0 TDi Blue, awaiting stuff to be done!

3rd Gear

Status
    any day of the week

6th Gear

Status
    Both cracking roads that beg for a bit of heel and toe action but there are a couple of vilages that you need to ease right back for. Planning on doing a bumper cam video of both these roads very soon.

B656 - Codicote to Hitchin.

A507 - Baldock to Buntingford

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    roads in the lakes scare me. i get very carried away, and then the dry stone walls start to stand out and i think right, calm yourself karl, before something bad happens. thats the only downside

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel

Has to be the infamous Snake Pass for me. This is a pic from last year, if in my 1.6 Golf I made the most of this road!

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

Lead boot

Status
    A82 south from Loch Ness onto the A86. Some real quick sections followed by tight bends. And you can try and spot Nessie whilst navigating those bends!
    (59) 2.0T A4 S-Line Avant (B8) Lava Grey
    (N) 2.6 V6 Audi Convertible Europa Blue
    Gone: (02) 1.8T A4 sport saloon (B6) Denim Blue

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Greeny233 On Twitter Add Greeny233 on Facebook Add Greeny233 on Google+ Visit Greeny233's Youtube Channel Visit Greeny233's Instagram Channel

ROADS YOU JUST HAVE TO DRIVE ON!!!

I'm lucky enough to live in the heart of North Wales (Llangollen) and regularly ride my bike on some of the best roads.
    One of my favourite roads is the B4501 out of Cerrigydrudion, which runs along side Brenig lake.
    Top Gear magazine are often there testing high performance cars and Richard Hammond tested the Aston Martin DB9 Volante there.
    Chris "the machine" Green.
    2004 Audi A4 1.9tdi Sport Quattro Avant

Money grabbing s3!

Status
    the old Warwick road from Hockley heath to Warwick, its 8mile long of twists and turns, low speed corners, high speed corners, straights up hill down hill, arghh, I just wanna have ago now!! JoJo might know the road I mean...

Audi s3 goodwood green, BAM, n249 delete, 80mm TIP, s2000 air-filter, new turbo, ap coil overs, lots of poly bushes, 15mm spacers all round rolling on 18'' RSTT's

1st Gear

Status
    None of the roads I really enjoy have the scenery shown above but I love the A343 between Newbury and Andover, as long as you get a clear run (which is difficult). A few villages to slow you down but it's reasonably twisty and up and down.

I used to love the A272 from Winchester towards Petersfield and on down to Petworth but they seem to have put too many speed restrictions on it to really enjoy it nowadays.
    Dolphin Grey B6 A4 Avant 1.9tdi

Mods so far: Allard EGR delete pipe, Shark remap, Bilstein B12 Sportline suspension

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3clarke View Post
    the old Warwick road from Hockley heath to Warwick, its 8mile long of twists and turns, low speed corners, high speed corners, straights up hill down hill, arghh, I just wanna have ago now!! JoJo might know the road I mean...
    I live round the corner from this road, never really along it though, but maybe I should?

I do like a run along Kenilworth rd though, it's pretty fun, then you join onto the A45 and headback towards B'ham International, there's a 2mile long straight which is slightly down hill for a high speed run, before you brake for the speed camera!
    s3clarke likes this.

Boo!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeny233 View Post
    I'm lucky enough to live in the heart of North Wales (Llangollen) and regularly ride my bike on some of the best roads.
    One of my favourite roads is the B4501 out of Cerrigydrudion, which runs along side Brenig lake.
    Top Gear magazine are often there testing high performance cars and Richard Hammond tested the Aston Martin DB9 Volante there.

The Evo Triangle.......
    Heard so much about this road and not till reading this thread started looking to find where it is.
    I’v driven along the A5 and the A543 possibly the B4501, but next year will make a point to drive the Triangle and enjoy it.

http://www.greatestdrivingroads.com/great_roads/The_Evo_Triangle.html

Money grabbing s3!

Status
    my missis used to live in leamington so I was always up and down the old warwick rd. It used to be mainly national speed limit down it, but in the last year or 2 they changed a lot of it to 40mph give it chance to dry up and go down it in the dark, seriously what a rd. I took on a few cars round it over the years, and am yet to be shaken off or caught I know which road u mean, very fast rd, wouldn't like to bin it tho at some of the speeds that can be reached haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I live round the corner from this road, never really along it though, but maybe I should?

I do like a run along Kenilworth rd though, it's pretty fun, then you join onto the A45 and headback towards B'ham International, there's a 2mile long straight which is slightly down hill for a high speed run, before you brake for the speed camera!

Audi s3 goodwood green, BAM, n249 delete, 80mm TIP, s2000 air-filter, new turbo, ap coil overs, lots of poly bushes, 15mm spacers all round rolling on 18'' RSTT's

Money grabbing s3!

Status
    I used to live up in hockley heath jojo, but moved over to by lickey hills now.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3clarke View Post
    my missis used to live in leamington so I was always up and down the old warwick rd. It used to be mainly national speed limit down it, but in the last year or 2 they changed a lot of it to 40mph give it chance to dry up and go down it in the dark, seriously what a rd. I took on a few cars round it over the years, and am yet to be shaken off or caught I know which road u mean, very fast rd, wouldn't like to bin it tho at some of the speeds that can be reached haha.
    I'm going to have a drive along this road in the day sometime to gauge the road! lol

Kenilworth rd was a bit of a funny one, I was helping a mate pull a bird in Kenilworth funnily(plus some late night partying before I became a dad), so only did the run during the night! The S3 coped with the bends pretty well, most of them in 3rd gear.

Boo!

Status
    A458 from Welshpool to Machynlleth and it’s a good drive in both directions.

Enjoyed driving this road a few times now and it puts a smile on my face when doing so.
    Sweeping corners, switchbacks, only one real long ish straight (that I can remember)

It has a few nasty potholes, but what road doesn’t this time of year.
    Take care over brow of hills and some tight corners

Cannot comment on the scenery this time, but will stop and take some photos next time.

http://goo.gl/maps/SCucX

6th Gear

Status
    Ghost likes this.
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.
    ***Audi's In The Park***The Biggest Audi Event In Europe 10th August 2014*** http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audis-park-aitp-2014/221933-audis-park-2014-show-10th-august-billing-aquadrome.html
    Reputation given for the best answer.

1st Gear

Status
    North-Mid Wales is home to thee best biking roads. (Sorry I dont get as excited in the car)

To name a few

Newtown to Cross gates

Bala to Dolgellau

Dolgellau to Machynlleth

A day in Wales and I can ruin a set of tyres
    Ghost and _G_ like this.

Neutral

Status
    I often travel to dolgellau as my parents have a caravan there. I have to say its one of my favourite sections of road. I use it as test for all my cars. The road is very testing with all types of corners and various straights. The scenery in and around that area is well worth a look.
    _G_ likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast