anyone go gym or works out regularly?

Paradox1

Reaction score
Been working our at home for quiet I while on and off but now the sun is out thought I'd put more effort in. Anybody on those protein shakes? I've never felt the news to use it but would like to know your views on it

Think it was Channel 4 that did a documentary on them. Turns out you get greater benefits from drinking semi-skimmed milk. If people believe they make a difference, so be it but I've never noticed any gains from using them. Just keep your calorie intake up and you'll get bigger gains quicker than shakes

i work out at home also, iv only just started back today because im lazy as feck, i drink protein shakes one on a morning one after a work out and one before bed.

there is defiantly a difference in drinking them to not drinking them e.g faster recovery/faster repair. ect.

also you need protein to repair your muscles along with amino acids and a few other things that you body makes, which i guess you will know.

i get my protein powder and Creatine Monohydrate from http://www.myprotein.com/

if you buy any thing this is my referrers code it gives you a discount and i earn a few point on the site also....:undwech:

MP541774

iv used protein from health shops and paid way to much for it but the stuff from there is top quality i think and alot of people i know that are well in to there training go there as well. they also have some info on there to help you out if you need help.

This blokes website is awesome he knows what he is talking about all his info is free and he doesn't fill you with bull. the site can help you with your goal you want to achieve defiantly worth a look.

Scooby's Workshop | Home Fitness & Bodybuilding Workouts

using protein shakes should not be a replacement for a meal.

what sandy is saying would be right if you ate mounds of protein rich food, with out putting extra protein in your body, you will be stuck in a cycle of gaining then loosing muscle, as your body will break down muscle before it will eat your fat stores as muscle is richer than fat.

any way massive life story over just take a look, do some research, its trail and error to see what works, every thing doesn't always work for every body.

I'm at the gym 4-5 times a week I take bio-synergy no fat no carbs just protein all I need. Plus healthy diet and you will notice gains quite quickly if you have a good routine.

All shakes are not equal I believe.

I have been advised (by an ex Pro Power lifter) that protein supplements sourced from the USA are controlled under the Food & Drug Administration and as such are better quality than most UK derived supplements as UK supplements are not not subject to the same level of control.
The claim is that the concentration of Whey and other proteins in the shakes are not always as advised and the quality is generally inferior.

Wholefoods are a better source of Protein however its not always practical or convenient to get your regular intake, ie early morning, immediate post work-out, and last thing at night.
This is when shakes make most sense.

Myself and many other people I have trained with have used them for years to good effect. As have many 1000s of professional and competative sportspeople and athletes so I wouldnt dismiss them all as placebo.

Ideally you would take on 30g every 2-3 hrs if you have a fairly intensive workout regime and these supplements are a very effective and easy err....supplement to your diet.

Good luck
Paul

EDIT: As above, MyProtein come highly recommended in the Weight Training/Bodybuilding fraternity.

im a tree surgoen and have a pretty active lifestyle

i only use the muscle repair shake when needed ( i tear my shoulders a fair bit, having to swing 20ft branches using your grip and strength to stop it from plowing through someones roof can have this effect )

i just find high intake of foods help, i go to the gym every now and then depending on how many fry up iv had haha, if and when i do go i mainly spend my time doing stamina, rowing, running and cycleing

dont get me wrong i smoke 30 a day and love fizzy drinks, i dont drink that much anymore ( gave up as a show of support when the missus was preggers)

knoxie

they work.

but, they will not work on their own.
training, diet, sleep are just as important as supplements and will make sure they have the effect they intend.

i am naturally skinny, v skinny, 8 months ago i wasnt even 11 stone, a tad under.
if it wasnt for what im on now id never have got to 12.5 stone im at now, ever.
but i try and focus on eating as much good stuff as possible, and i work out well and know how to manage my routine.

people have different bodies and want different gains but i wanted to put mass on, fat and muscle.
in supplement form i take various sources of protein, various sources of carbs, glutamine, creatine, and leucine.

whatever your goals are, choose the right product and stick to it. Its very hard to get all you need from food, ****** expensive too! this is why supplements are so great, it makes things so much easier.

also, dont get hung up on brands. use myprotein.co.uk, and get all you need from there. a whey protein by maximuscle is no different to a whey protein from myprotein (they make there own stuff). they are what they are, no matter what the branded tub says, its just whey protein, or its just creatine mono, or its just casein. so dont be stung by the prices of USN and Maximuscle products.

One thing you might want to try is the kind of workout reigime they used to train the actors for the film 300. Usually called the Spartan Warrior workout. There is a book you can get on Amazon (Spartan Warrior Workout: Get Action Movie Ripped in 30 Days: Amazon.co.uk: Dave Randolph: Books) that takes you through the exercises, demonstrates proper technique and also training plans. I have used it to inspire my workout rather than copy is exactly, we don't have tractor tyres, drag sleds or even jump boxes in my gym, but i like the idea of working on lean muscle and explosive power rather than big slow heavy muscles. I've felt and seen better progression with those techniques than anything i've used before.

You could also try classes such as Body Pump which again is focused on building lean muscle and power as well as fitness and endurance. You'll push yourself much harder in a class and with an instructor.

I do use shakes, Maximuscle Cyclone specifically. Not the cheapest but i notice the difference in not feeling tired and sore as much the day after. When i was really chugging them down, 1 on a rest day 2 on a workout day my idiot boss at the time actually got jealous of how quick i was gaining mass (i've lost it since) which was odd but proof if anything that it worked for me.

Of course the key here is what works for an individual might not work for all. Look for general trends and see which one actually fits you. Of course you should really be scientific about it and measure results with different techniques, but thats kind of hard as you can't just reset after each new approach.

Some basics from experience.

Follow the 3 golden rules when you are in the gym:
1-Technique
2-Technique
3-Technique

Dont pay attention to the muppets throwing around weights that are too heavy. Gym vanity is your enemy.

Stick to what you can manage without comprimising your form, and always go to failure, whether that be a high rep or low rep set.

Bad form will result in injury and limited gains.

Paul

Reactions: b2 and Nogmeister
Some basics from experience.

Follow the 3 golden rules when you are in the gym:
1-Technique
2-Technique
3-Technique

Dont pay attention to the muppets throwing around weights that are too heavy. Gym vanity is your enemy.

Stick to what you can manage without comprimising your form, and always go to failure, whether that be a high rep or low rep set.

Bad form will result in injury and limited gains.

Paul

This is probably the most important thing to remember when lifting weights, i'm glad somone remembered to post this

This is probably the most important thing to remember when lifting weights, i'm glad somone remembered to post this

Defo.
So common though mate.

Lifting `big` weights, `badly` will only hold kudos with other clueless gym goers (who generally train in wooly hats, overly baggy fleece track bottoms and flip flops. WTF!:haha:).

People who `know` will think you are a bit backward.

Chicks might be impressed though.......

Defo.
So common though mate.

Lifting `big` weights, `badly` will only hold kudos with other clueless gym goers (who generally train in wooly hats, overly baggy fleece track bottoms and flip flops. WTF!:haha:).

People who `know` will think you are a bit backward.

Chicks might be impressed though.......

Few of these at my gym along with younger people wanting to start lifting weights but believe the heavier the better and doesn't matter if you struggle like crazy it's all good because your lifting heavy good one!

Lool that's one of the reasons I decided to train from home, so many guy that are clearly WELL ARD, so they just spend most of the time chucking weights and pumping up there chests. I will che k out that website, thanks again. I used to training without any shakes etc and that was eating anything I felt and I noticed how quickly I got bigger. Now if I do it controlles and consistent the gains will be better. The whole reason I've decided to get back onto training is for the first time in my life, I look 3 months pregnant! I never put in weight but its happend now. Also trying to stop smoking so if I keep myself occupied I won't have cravings as much

Lool that's one of the reasons I decided to train from home, so many guy that are clearly WELL ARD, so they just spend most of the time chucking weights and pumping up there chests. I will che k out that website, thanks again. I used to training without any shakes etc and that was eating anything I felt and I noticed how quickly I got bigger. Now if I do it controlles and consistent the gains will be better. The whole reason I've decided to get back onto training is for the first time in my life, I look 3 months pregnant! I never put in weight but its happend now. Also trying to stop smoking so if I keep myself occupied I won't have cravings as much

Along with everything mentioned, I'd say get your routine down and stick to it mix it up by all means but I find get in do your sets then get out easiest way to keep going back, if you spend a lot of time sitting talking watching the tele you find your in the gym alot then you get bored.

never felt the need for them... so havent used them much. mate using createne? he wanted to gain mass... and you need to work out harder/regular with that... he stopped for a week and he piled on the pounds/his ab section was more of one huge box than a 6 pack...

otherwise... i used to use a can of nourishment before a workout to give me extra go... and it worked for a bit... but as body adjusted didnt need the nourishment cans. so yeh it depends what you want... muscle mass or just to aid recovery... imho they are a waste of money and natural protein is the best way to go... by eating the right stuff etc. if you want to gain mass rather than relying on some shake full of all sorts of crud... but these are my views.

never felt the need for them... so havent used them much. mate using createne? he wanted to gain mass... and you need to work out harder/regular with that... he stopped for a week and he piled on the pounds/his ab section was more of one huge box than a 6 pack...

otherwise... i used to use a can of nourishment before a workout to give me extra go... and it worked for a bit... but as body adjusted didnt need the nourishment cans. so yeh it depends what you want... muscle mass or just to aid recovery... imho they are a waste of money and natural protein is the best way to go... by eating the right stuff etc. if you want to gain mass rather than relying on some shake full of all sorts of crud... but these are my views.

Shakes are a massive part of gaining mass though you shouldn't rely on them its part of a whole routine and diet, eating the right food is a massive part of it but it's impossible to get a high amount of protein and the right amino acids from just food which is why people take shakes between meals, if your serious about training you will find that you will need shakes in your diet if your working out at home just something like for goodness shake will be sufficient or nourishment.

Shakes are a massive part of gaining mass though you shouldn't rely on them its part of a whole routine and diet, eating the right food is a massive part of it but it's impossible to get a high amount of protein and the right amino acids from just food which is why people take shakes between meals, if your serious about training you will find that you will need shakes in your diet if your working out at home just something like for goodness shake will be sufficient or nourishment.
agreed.
kind of annoys me when people say its a waste of money, (no offence g). i do take it seriously and its a massive part of my life/routine, so for me its worth it.
to get the same from food as i do my supplements would cost £££. i could never have gained what i have without supplements.
BUT, they are by no means the most important thing!

Some good advise on here, Makes a massive change tbh. As said it's all down to knowing yr body and it's ability, each person is different and will react/recover at different rates. Personally I found shakes made no effect on me. But found taking creatine with pure apple juice 30mins after food and 45mins before training gave me maximum explosion and ability to push through without dropping off when burning lactive acid. Also a good amount of CV work will do wonders for anyone. Not sure if it's still available but I also used cybergenics a few yrs back. Follow the program and see massive gains.

Yor workouts should be built around benchpress, deadlifts and squats!

Ha just read original post and i seem to be off topic slightly! In my opinion it is necessary to suipplement protein intake with hard hypertrophy style training. Protein shakes are generally cheaper per serving compared to a meal and are more easily digested meaning you wont need to have 8 meals a day you can substitue some of these for a shake. Genrally the more you pay the better quality meaning your less likley to get the sh1ts!

If i were you i would eat a standard 4 meals a day (clean chicken based with veg and clean carbs wholegrain pasta etc) and supplemnt in 2-3 protein shakles and see how you get on. If you struglle to put weight on you may wish to use weight gain to up you calorific intake! If you eat properly and base your workouts around compount exercises i mentioned above you should be laughing!

You may wish to explore other supplemnts such as creatine, zma and bcaa's!

Be warned tho trainign is like modifiying cars....once you start you cant stop and its a slippery road!

Be warned tho trainign is like modifiying cars....once you start you cant stop and its a slippery road!
i cannot stop, it kills me inside if i even contemplate not going. lol.

on another note, i weighed myself the other day 12st 10lbs wahoo. started at around 10st 10lbs 8 and a bit months ago.
and my workout is pretty much based around what dex said.

I'm dead after a absolute killer back workout with drop sets and cable exercises I enjoyed it though, I'm now just under 13 1/2 stone :) getting there

I cant put any weight on!!!

I went to the gym years ago and was on protien shakes and creatine to see if I could bulk up, but i didnt at all, which was very frustrating.

I am also naturally skinny, to the point that when I was 11, i weighed about 5 stone!!

I am now a few years older, but still only weigh 9.5 stone and this is no matter what I eat, the only fluctuation on my weight I get is if im ill, I will lose weight and can lose as much as half a stone in a couple of days, however as soon as im better, the weight is back on instantly and back to 9.5 stone :)

I cant put any weight on!!!

I went to the gym years ago and was on protien shakes and creatine to see if I could bulk up, but i didnt at all, which was very frustrating.

I am also naturally skinny, to the point that when I was 11, i weighed about 5 stone!!

I am now a few years older, but still only weigh 9.5 stone and this is no matter what I eat, the only fluctuation on my weight I get is if im ill, I will lose weight and can lose as much as half a stone in a couple of days, however as soon as im better, the weight is back on instantly and back to 9.5 stone :)
but your power to weight ratio must be epic in the s3! lol

that is very light tho. how tall are you?

LOL..yea man, who needs big turbo's just lose weight ;)

Im about 5'4".

Karl is that short or tall as them two??

And Jo, you are 5'4" round your waist!! :moa:

I thought it would be easier to bulk up being smaller my 6ft frame doing squats doesn't make it easy

never easy for naturally skinny people to bulk up.
dunno how tall i am to be honest, havent measured since i was a kid and used to put marks on the doorframe. at least 5'11", i find it hard to bulk up and most of my excercises are heavy compound. but it does pay off with time. some people just gain faster. and the slow gainers tend to give up.

Karl what is your rep range for the compound exercises? Do you work till failure or stick to 3x5 or 5x5?

Karl what is your rep range for the compound exercises? Do you work till failure or stick to 3x5 or 5x5?
always do 4 sets.
i keep my weights heavy (or light depending how strong you are lol) enough so i can always complete all my reps with good form. so i do go to failure, but by failure i mean failure to do the rep with good form.
week 1, i do 4-6 reps
week 2, 8-10 reps
week 3, 10-12 reps
week 4, 6-8 reps

and its an 8 week workout. currently in week 6. then i switch to a 4 week circuit workout. then im going back to my good ol fashioned push/pull split.

this method of changing your reps weekly is good for overall strength increase over the 8 week period, i like variety, and its keeps your body guessing.

Yeah, I go to the gym about 6 times a week, and play other sports 3 times a week. I love fitness...! Protein shakes do work from what others have already said. Currently I'm trying an all in one instead of taking numerous supplements to aid diet every day. Matrix Complete is what I use and it has whey protein, creatine, bcaas, glutamine etc. Seems to be working fine and the chocolate flavour tastes good too!

Ref training, the plan is to keep your body guessing by changing up your programme every 4-6 weeks ish, you can also change your tempo and whether you're density training or hypertrophy, focusing on the negative or positive part of the rep etc. HIT (High intensity training) and TT (turbulence training) are excellent forms or training for anyone. But as already mentioned most main training programmes should include Bench Press, Squats and Deadlift (extra care with your form on this one)! and IMO some form of shoulder press and Pull Ups.

Make sure you also write down and record what you do in the gym each day, so that when you are next working that body part, doing that run or completing that circuit you have something to aim to beat - always try and go one better, 1 more rep or increase the weight by however small, or beat the times on the run/circuit. doing this will mean you're always improving and growing, but don't beat yourself if one day you don't beat what you did last time, some days it naturally won't happen just try not to get down and try and beat it next time.

An example of my workout today,

A form of TT circuit we call MR. NASTY : Dumbell swings X 20 (10 each arm), Renegade rows X 20 (10 each arm ) box step ups X 20, Press up to squat to shoulder press X 5, dumbell single arm chest press X 20 - start on 6kg dumbells then increase every round - 6s,8s,10s,12s,14s,16s,18s,20s - have no or as little rest as possible between exercises and rounds. Then do the 22s to finish off! Today I did the 6-20s in 28min 34 seconds and then did the 22s. Then I did phase 2 - 1 min running at a fast pace and incline on the treadmill superset with 1 min skipping for a total of 10 mins, increasing the speed and incline on the treadmill each min i was on it. then phase 3 is an abs circuit, - 3 moves 6 rounds and increasing the reps each round starting on 10 and up to and inc. 15 ( 10,11,12,13,14,15). All done in under an hour.

I also have a recipe for home made protein bars to eat as a snack in the day if anyone's interested - they taste really good!

Josh

josh, sounds like you train alot! too much i think.
but then i dont know what your build or goals are.

i do 3 full body work outs a week at the min.
mostly heavy compound. to gain weight and size. i put on fat and muscle which is what i want. no cardio for me yet.
thats what my circuit training will be for in 2 weeks time, to burn a little of the fat i've gained and give my core a good seeing to.

i always say and think, that theres too many people that think training and body building is an exact science, and it isnt!
everyone is different. do what you want, as long as you dont over train, injure yourself through bad technique, and think what you read on the net is gospel, then you cant go wrong.

im not very strict at all, i always change things, what i eat, techniques, reps, sets, excercises. but i always see gains because i work to what my body can take without burning it out.

im interested in your bar recipe btw! :)
i throw alsorts into my blender with my shake sometimes lol.

i'm using a product called Critical Mass, I'm only on my first bag at the minute so the gains are small currently, but fwiw i can notice it's helping in other areas of my training. Price isn't that bad too, i paid £37 for it.

I'm gonna try a product called Hypergain next as i've heard good things about this too.